Gas storage limit ???- fire codes

I've been trying to find the maximum quantity for gasoline that can be stored at a residence and can't seem to find the info. From what I can tell, Nashville goes by the International Fire Codes but can't find any free pdf's to do the search. I've found admendments, etc. but not the actual code.

It would be stored in an attached garage. I want to store as much as I'm allowed for my generator. I don't want to run into getting denied on an insurance claim if there was ever a fire at the house so I want to go by the codes.

Can anyone shed any light on the subject?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know codes and such, but we keep about 40 gallons or so in jerry cans. Biggest hassle is rotating it. The best thing you could do is get one of those tanks they use on job sites for diesel and set it on a trailer so you can move it. (WTSHTF, you'll probably wanna move it!) AND fill your cars up on it regularly to keep fresh fuel in it all the time. It would be expensive to start up, but no difference to maintain if you manage money well. I like the construction site tanks because they use a spin on filter to keep any debris out of your system.

You might want to talk to your agent.

I guess that's one way to find out, but my fear is if I bring up the subject I'm asking to get "red flagged" automatically for the future. It also opens up the floor for questions of what other potentially hazardous materials are at the residence. I don't want to get into the reloading and ammo storage discussion right now.

I would imagine if they think having fuel stored at your residence is a higher risk they will either charge you more or tell you they won't cover you if you store above a certain amount.

Also, just because the city/county will let you store X amount doesn't mean your insurance provider will.

I guess that's one way to find out, but my fear is if I bring up the subject I'm asking to get "red flagged" automatically for the future. It also opens up the floor for questions of what other potentially hazardous materials are at the residence. I don't want to get into the reloading and ammo storage discussion right now.

That’s a reasonable concern. So call the FD in the area where you live. With everyone having portable generators anymore, I think your question is a reasonable one.

I'm sure it could also change from one area to the other.

How long is the useful life of stored gasoline? Now that the yard care season is approaching it will get rotated more frequently.

Depends on the environment If it’s in a sealed container (most aren’t) it could be stored for years. If it’s not sealed it could go bad in months.

Guest Lester Weevils

Safe storage of more than a few gallons gas is a challenge.

Northern Tools charges a pretty penny for a 20 or 30 gallon portable storage filler tank.

I'd store outside a good distance from the house, but am naturally cautious.

In some web discussion on the matter, one of the best ideas I saw for "safe storage on a budget" was to go to a junk yard and get an auto or truck fuel tank in good condition.

For my portable generator plans, finally decided to make it a point to keep all the family vehicles near-full all the time. That is 60+ gallons, constantly refreshed, no unusual insurance or safety concerns, ready to siphon out of the tank into the generator if there is a sustained power outage. Costs a lot of money and hassle to even establish a safe 60 gallon on-site storage solution. Keeping all the vehicles topped off is "free".

I have a little lockable Rubbermaid yard shed sitting about 100 ft from my house.

3748-large.jpg

I keep treated gas for my power equipment and most oils, Coleman fuel, etc. in it. I've kept as many as 5 5-gallon cans at once. Treat the gas with a stabilizer, tag each can with date treated, and use them up within a year of the treatment date. My yard equipment and generator can't use that much gas in a normal year, so I use the excess in my truck.

How long is the useful life of stored gasoline? Now that the yard care season is approaching it will get rotated more frequently.

I believe ethanol storage is only about 3 months.

Can gas really go bad? - CNN

I have heard that ethanol tends to make gas go bad faster. I can not prove this, I am not a chemist, I know I have read that in the past however I can not find reference right now, nor do I care to dig any deeper. I will end with saying I dislike ethanol mixed with my gas.

Ethanol may pose storage problems « A Global Goring

Two barrels of gasoline near space heater blew up Gobles-area home, authorities say

Two barrels of gasoline near space heater blew up Gobles-area home, authorities say | MLive.com

The space heater was used to keep the waterlines and pump from freezing during the winter cold, the release said.

Bad idea, never store gas in one's home, no near any source of heat.

The flumes alone inside the home would be a bad idea.

Guest Archminister01

Fuel stabilizer should do the trick. I believe that it will keep gas viable through several months. That will lessen the need to rotate as often.

I believe that gasoline is a class 1B flammable liquid ... ... not sure, but IIRC, that is the case.

If so, IFC limits storage to 120 gallons in approved container(s), with dikes, etc., in non-sprinklered buildings.

If you can get a copy of the IFC (International Fire Code), you can start with 3404.3.3 ... ... references there will direct you to the proper sections.

That being said, I don't think I could ever be convinced to store that much gasoline anywhere in any building on my property. The potential for leaks or fumes could be a monumental "ka-boom" in the making.

Note: local codes may call for a lesser storage. We have an ordinance (somewhere) that limits any flammable liquid to < 100 gallons in a residential neighborhood.

Edited by safeandsecure
Add. info ...
Guest nicemac

Gasoline loses one octane point per week when exposed to air. The fast-evaporating solvents are also the fast burning components of gasoline. When they all evaporate away, it won't run in most engines and you get the varnish-type sludge that we have all seen in a tank that has been stored a long time (or grandpa's lawn mower tank that hasen't been run for five years).

A completely air-tight container is a must and as Caster mentioned, it must be rotated.

Bottom line: Gasoline does not store well for long periods of time.

Diesel on the other hand, will last a long, long, time.

I think I would just buy a junk car and put it on blocks in the front yard. That should give you a safe way to store 15-20 gallons. When you fill that up buy another car and some more blocks. I'm pretty sure I have some family members using this plan. :)

For my portable generator plans, finally decided to make it a point to keep all the family vehicles near-full all the time. That is 60+ gallons, constantly refreshed, no unusual insurance or safety concerns, ready to siphon out of the tank into the generator if there is a sustained power outage. Costs a lot of money and hassle to even establish a safe 60 gallon on-site storage solution. Keeping all the vehicles topped off is "free".

Valid idea as long as your vehicle(s) don't have the anti-siphon feature. Double check before you get caught with your pants down.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I did have an update. I emailed the Fire Marshall and got a response but need some clarification so I'm going to email him again. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Below is the email exchange with the Fire Marshall. My emails are in black text, his are in blue text.

Hello,

I was trying to find the answer to a question and need your help.

What is the storage limit for gasoline storied at a residence? I have a generator for power outages and want to know how much fuel I can have on hand. Please respond for two situations;

1. In an attached garage
  2. In a outside area not attached to the dwelling.

Thank you,

The fire code allows up to 30 gallons of indoor storage in a residence. It states that you can only have enough that's necessary for maintenance purposes and operation of equipment. I would recommend that you store your fuel outside of the home in a storage building. It should always be stored in approved U.L. listed safety cans. Storing this fuel in an attached garage is asking for trouble.

Thank you for your prompt response. I did want to clarify a few points so I fully understand correctly.

You commented that storing fuel in an attached garage is asking for trouble, which I agree is not the optimum situation. But if I understand correctly you are allowed to keep 30 gallons "indoors", such as an attached garage, correct?

At the moment I don't have an outside storage building but will look into getting one. If I got one, is there a limit to how much could then can be kept?

Lastly, is the UL safety can a requirement or a suggestion?

Thank you,

The fire code states you can only keep only enough fuel to perform maintenance and operate your equipment but at no time would you keep more than 30 gallons. If you store gasoline in your attached garage in a can that is not an approved safety can the fumes can escape. Gas is heavier than air so the vapors will collect in low spots. If you have any source of ignition such as a gas water heater, spark from any electrical appliance, or motorized vehicle you could ignite those vapors and they will flash back to the containers.

My suggestion would be to do as I did and get you an outside storage locker to store your gas cans in. The one I have is a trunk style made by Rubbermaid.

I keep ten or twelve gallons of gas at any one time in the basement garage. Storage is in the red plastic type gasoline containers. I never smell fumes from them.

I started using Sta-bil last year after having trouble getting one of the quads to fire up in the spring. The Sta-bil bottle claims to allow gasoline to last for 12 months, doubling the life of it. So I take that to mean gasoline lasts 6 months. It seems to work well with my mixed fuel too.

Since using this stuff both quads easily fire up everytime. It is now in all the fuel in all my yard equipment. I used the chainsaw for the first time in a long time the last two weekends and it fired right up. So I am thinking the Sta-bil is good stuff.

If I put on my tin foil hat I can easily imagine that the .gov is pleased fuel does not last very long in storage. When the S does HTF they don't want us serfs being mobile.

Guest Lester Weevils
Valid idea as long as your vehicle(s) don't have the anti-siphon feature. Double check before you get caught with your pants down.

Thanks Trekbike

Daggumit why do they keep changing this stuff? Look away for a second and all of a sudden everything is different.

Didn't try siphoning the two newer vehicles today. Maybe it is possible, but web-searching this afternoon gives the impression that the two newer vehicles cannot be siphoned. So I'm down to 20-something gallons of storage in the old van. Oh well, it was a valid plan about 15 years ago when I got the generator.

I do keep a couple of 5 gallon cans well away from the house sitting under a tarp in the shade. Along with 5 gal kerosene for emergency heat next time we have a rare blizzard. One of these days need to build a shed out there. A lightning strike in the vicinity of the gas could cause a problem even way away from the house. Rare, but lightning do happen occasionally.

Hmm, does kerosene ever get so bad it won't work in a kerosene heater? What about coleman fuel for camp stoves? I get the impression the coleman fuel is basically white gas but could be mistaken. The newer coleman stoves will run on unleaded gasoline among other things.