Looking for advice

Guest armed_geek

Guest armed_geek

I'm new to hand guns. I'm looking for a good weapon for conceal carry purrpouse. Does anyone have a recommendation for one & why? Also I'm curriouse about the Smith & Wesson SW9VES. If anyone has any knowledge please pass it along.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest carter

an alright weapon...think S&W got sued by glock over those... my mother has one i field stripped it...and now i know why...looks just like my glock 19... i wouldn't pay over $250 for one if u choose to purchase... i would look at a good used glock before i bought one of those... the plastic on the S&W just doesn’t feel beefy to me like a glock does, plus i would look for something a little smaller...not sure how you plan on carrying, your body size...it makes a difference... i got a good deal on a sig p238 :lol: very pleased with it... plus it has a safety... also check out the M&P's you can get them in 3 sizes with or without thumb safety

Guest armed_geek

Sorry by new to handguns I should point out I am active duty Army. Safety first, got you. I'm 6 ft tall 195 lbs would like an IWB or Pocket carry. Was debating the S&W .38 Bodyguard or Air Weight. Just trying to feel out recommendations. I know I hate the Army issues Berreta, but they arn't maintained to an standard that any true shooter would go with. I have been debating on a Glock as well. Thanks for the comments.

Guest carter

i carry a glock 19 in a desantis intruder IWB holster... works good for me... im 6'1 200... had to buy bigger pants 36-38 and XL shirts... but dosent print that much with the bigger clothing... haven't carried my compact 1911 yet... thinking of buying the same holster for it too... or my sig p238... i trust all 3 of these guns...haven't had one FTF/FTE nothing at all...

The S&W SW9VES, which is the new "enhanced" Sigma, is a decent weapon. The trigger is heavy when compared to most others, including Glock. I bought one for my wife about 10 years ago and she really liked it. It was very reliable as well as being accurate. It has one of the best feeling grips of any handgun I have carried or shot. Most of the Sigma hating is from the early models but the newer ones are just fine. They even issue them to Afghan police which says a lot because they are destructive.

The Sigma is not a Glock but I do believe for the money you can't go wrong with the new Sigma pistols. I am not sure but the Sigma grip felt thinner than the Glock. I know the Sigma's grip feels a lot better than the Glock's.

Dolomite

Guest armed_geek

Carter- Are you able to tuck a shirt in with that style holster or is it un tucked?

Dolomite- I'll have to see if I can't get one of the Afghans to let me see there side arm then. Currently here in Afghanistan.

Carter- Are you able to tuck a shirt in with that style holster or is it un tucked?

Dolomite- I'll have to see if I can't get one of the Afghans to let me see there side arm then. Currently here in Afghanistan.

It is the ANP's not the ANA's. And despite the heavy trigger pull they seem to shoot themselves in the ass all the time. Seemed like every week we were hearing of another ANP shooting themselves.

I haven't been over there since my helicopter accident in 2008. Before that I would go over there every chance I got. I was doing the high threat security stuff over there when I got hurt. Not the usual State Department gigs you hear so much about but I worked for other clients. It was fun and I really enjoyed it almost like I was an adrenalin junky. My last trip I averaged getting attacked every 4 days. Now I might go a week without anything happening then get into it a few times in a single day. Most of the stuff I dealt with was the indirect fire from the katusa rockets or mortars. I have been in the north eastern areas as well as the south eastern areas. I didn't matter what area I was in the level of activity was always pretty high.

It is amazing how many bad guys there really are in Afghanistan, especially in the regions that border Pakistan. There definitely is more to do there now than in Iraq. I would tell who ever I worked for don't even ask me to go to Iraq. Not that it is any more dangerous than Afghanistan, because it isn't, but because I believe that we shouldn't be in Iraq.

Dolomite

I had a Sigma, 9VE model. It is the only handgun I have sold off that I totally regret selling. I sold it to help pay for a M1 Carbine which I will never sell off.

But I really regret not finding another way to pay for the M1.

The Sigma is the only auto loader I ever had that was 100% reliable. Never had a failure of any kind through well over 1000 rounds. It was accurate and the trigger was not near as bad as people like to try to make a point about.

It was easliy concealable. It is smaller than a full sized Glock and the grip felt fantastic.

I'd buy it back in a hearbeat.

Edited by Mike.357

Your choice depends a lot on what you like. Trigger style, size and weight (you want pocketish size ?), internal or external hammers, caliber/recoil, accuracy, price, reliability, safety style, etc.

My advice is to find a place where you can rent guns for a few dollars to try out the various styles... try out a glock, try out a DAO kel-tec, try out a double action beretta, try out a single action 1911, shoot something in 9mm, 10mm, maybe 380. Get a handle on what you like about each one and dislike about each one.

As for recommendations of specific guns, I am down to 2 carry weapons. A sig p238 which slips into a pocket and is and awesome 380 platform and one of the few small guns that is not DAO. Its totally invisible, but its also not a lot of firepower. My second weapon barely fits into a pocket, its on the extreme edge of what will fit into dress pants and jeans (men's). Its a beretta px4 subcompact in .40 caliber, with medium capacity. This is a great deal of power in a pocket sized gun, but before you get one try it in your own pockets, its very heavy (need a belt, or I do at least) and does not fit in all clothes.

There are a large number of guns that fit the beretta size (not quite pocket sized, but small and can go in a pocket it you work hard to get it there); my wife had a taurus 709 slim and it was a nice, thin gun in 9mm. If you move up to waistband carry, you can fit any normal handgun in there, up to some 8 inches or so in length: some folks carry a 1911 this way. Your options for that method of carry are limitless.

You have 2 options really. 2 guns, one in pocket, and something larger, or you can get a pocket gun and carry it IWB at times (why?). If you want a pocket gun, you either settle for a true pocket gun (usually low capacity, low power ammo, tiny size) or you stretch a little to get one of the many subcompacts into a pocket with some creative work (I had to make my own holster, for example). This is a personal choice usually. If you are in a very dangerous area, a pocket gun just is not going to work for a shootout with the local gang, and a 15+ rounder IWB is going to be "better". If you are mostly in safer areas and one or 2 goons jumps you at the gas station, the true pocket gun may be ideal.

Anyway, buying a gun really comes down to picking one that best fits YOU, and should be taken slowly when you are new to it. A lot of little things that you do not notice when you buy one make it really easy to buy one you dislike, and its like a car, buy it and shoot it and its "used" now.

The bodyguard revolver is a great choice, IMHO. It has a low capacity, but its a great gun. The laser sight is silly, to me, but then again I have shot handguns without them for 20+ years. The 380 version I do not care for, because the sig is a much, much better fit to the features that *I* like. I do not like any glocks, and that is also just personal matchup stuff, they are fine guns that are exactly wrong for *me*.

Guest Maelphaedor

Ruger GP100. If you're new to handguns, it's hard to beat a good wheelgun. A .357 is plenty of stopping power. A 3" or 4" barrel is short enough to conceal. As guns go, it's built like a tank, you could drive nails with it all day long and shoot it just fine later. Six rounds is plenty, if the 1st six don't drop the target, chances are that 2 or 3 more that a small autoloader pack aren't either. Cleaning and maintenance couldn't be more simple. Just my opinion.

As owner of an SW9VE, I can vouch for its reliability, accuracy, and concealability. What else matters?

I have since bought a couple of M&Ps, and while they are my EDCs, and have given the 9VE to my son for his first weapon, but I would feel adequately protected with the Sigma and some good 147 gr JHP ammo.

Guest armed_geek

I just want to make sure it is something the wife will be comfortable with during these deployments, otherwise I'd keep my M-4 signed out & find a way to conceal it. All joking aside her willingness to carry when I'm not around is a big factor. feel a little safer when she drives home to Texas with 2 kids if she has protection.

I just want to make sure it is something the wife will be comfortable with during these deployments, otherwise I'd keep my M-4 signed out & find a way to conceal it. All joking aside her willingness to carry when I'm not around is a big factor. feel a little safer when she drives home to Texas with 2 kids if she has protection.

Then... it's what she likes. You need to let her shoot everything she can get her hands on, and let her pick. There is no such thing as a girl gun, and men suck at picking out guns for their women. It usually turns out (when you do the picking) that you wind up with a gun you like, and she winds up with her own. That's not a bad oucome, but it happens in the wrong order. If it were me, I would get her happy and safe first. After all, you have the M4 to fall back on :)

Then... it's what she likes. You need to let her shoot everything she can get her hands on, and let her pick. There is no such thing as a girl gun, and men suck at picking out guns for their women. It usually turns out (when you do the picking) that you wind up with a gun you like, and she winds up with her own. That's not a bad oucome, but it happens in the wrong order. If it were me, I would get her happy and safe first. After all, you have the M4 to fall back on :D

This. I cannot stand the guns my wife likes, and she hates a lot of mine too. I shoot hers anyway just so if its handy I can use it, but ugg. The only things we have in common is we each have a 1911 and each have a sig 380. Don't even try to pick for her is the best advice you can hear. Read the cornered cat web site, and have her read it too, then let her shoot different stuff until happy.

I carry the G23 and love it for numerous reasons. My wife chose the Ruger SP101. Like others have said, let her shoot 'em and decide. The more the better. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

And stay safe...

Guest carter

i usually ware it untucked...but yea you can tuck a shirt in with that holster...done it but just dont carry that way