Love functional beaters - S&W 4.5" 422 .22LR

graycrait

A fella showed me a .22 pistol he had for sale. He knew I was a sucker for S&W .22 pistols of this style. This is a poorly stored and maintained 422 in reasonably harder to find 4.5" over the more common 6". It came with one rust covered magazine. The 422 mags are the same ones used in the Mdl 41. I covered this thing in Froglube, let it set then cleaned it. Put it in the ultrasound with a bit of dishwashing soap and water. I then took some paint stripper and took off paint remnants from the stainless slide with some fine steel wool. Ultrasound again. I am still contemplating if I want to sand the black off the aluminum frame. However, again, I was lucky. The barrel is like new as was the action, feed ramp and all the springs. With a brass bristle brush and the Froglube the magazine is nearly like new and they ain't cheap. The grips were screwed on with poorly fitting found on floor screws. I found some that fit better in my gun screw bottle and put them on. This is an ugly but perfectly functional 422. My new grip screws are not in the pic. Caution: if you get a 422/622/2206/2213/2214 buy some aftermarket firing pins, that is one of the problems with original pistols of this series, firing pin tips breaking off. Also this gun is easily threaded needing only a commonly found barrel thread adapter, no gunsmithing required or aftermarket barrel. This gun with mag weighs less than 21 oz. Threaded adapters, firing pins and barrel wrenches are are available from this great guy to do business with: www.ewkarms.com Last I checked firing pins were also available from: www.jackfirstgun.com I am a lucky man.

4pt5inch422.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good save on a great pistol. I finally broke down and purchased a 6" to go with my 4.5" and both are set up as host.

I got a decent deal on my new one but when it showed up all it need was the factory box and you would have thought it was brand new.

I can't say it enough, These are great Pistols.

Guest carter

so how much was it... i have one of these but with the wood grips...was my fathers and only thing i got when he died ... shoot it every now and then... in a little better shape than that... but NICE steal if it was a good deal