Looking for a handgun recommendation

Branket

The 9mm's are,

The G17-Full size w/17 round mag

The G19-compact size w/15 round mag (my favorite)

The G26-subcompact w/10 round mag

There is a couple of specialty guns like the G-34 and anything ending in "C" has compensator cutouts in the barrel and slide.

The G17-9mm/G22-40SW/G31-357Sig are all full size

The G19-9mm/G23-40SW/G32-357sig are all compacts

The G26-9mm/G27-40SW/G33-357Sig are all subcompacts

Think of it this way, all the full size guns have 4.5" barrels and 4 finger grips, all the compacts have 4" barrels and 3 1/2 finger grips and the subcompacts have 3.5" barrels with 3 finger grips. I have large hands and I have always found that with a mag installed, the compacts were the best compromise between size, shoot-ability and concealability. I would look strongly at the G19. It is big enough to shoot comfortably, holds 15 rounds, it is light and probably the most popular Glock in 9mm, though I may be wrong on that one.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found that, for me, the transition between the long heavy first pull and the light second pull of a SA/DA gun like a Beretta 92f or a SW 5906 was too difficult for me to master. It may not be for others but it was for me.

The DA trigger pull of the USP is worse than the Beretta. But I don't have a problem with either handgun. I de-cock them for normal carry, but cock them if I think there is any reasonable possibility of a problem. The DA mode is there if I need it in an emergency, but normally I'll be in SA mode when needed. Unlike you, I don't ever use the safety on a pistol. The USP is variant 3 (de-cocker but no safety). The Beretta safety is only used to de-cock and then immediately returned to firing position. My IWB gun is a P7M8 and backup, the DAO Kel-Tec P-3AT.

Different strokes for different folks.

Carry a G19 daily, but I don't recommend starting out with them as your carry weapon. The safety on the trigger has a way of leading to "glockings."

Like Mars, I don't carry a gun with a safety on. I do carry cocked and ready to rock on the 1911. The Beretta is carried in DA mode hammer down round in the chamber.

Who said anything about leaving a safety on. As a matter of fact, I used to teach the hand gun carry course in TN and I the students that came in with the decocking/safeties used to mess up on the firing line on a regular basis. We would lecture about using the safety as a decocker but to put the gun back into a ready to fire condition before re-holstering. I would never let them use a holster draw for initial training but I would make them de-cock those type of guns between shots when we were going through our first series of shooting. Nearly every one of them would de-cock on command bt when I gave the command to aim and fire they would still have the safety on and would have a dead trigger. I saw it time and time again. So for me, use a safety on my 1911's to carry cocked and locked but it is SA-Striker fired-DAO-revolver-de-cock only, in that order. Right now, since I sold my KP97DC, I don't own a DA/SA gun except the CZ75.

Who said anything about leaving a safety on.

Sorry if I misspoke, but I'm confused. You mention that you have a "CZ75 because it can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911". I interpreted that as carrying with the safety on.

Nobody will carry a single action auto cocked and loaded with the safety off. I never have and I never will. I agree that if you are not willing to put the practice time in, you should not carry a 1911 style auto. But they are the fastest to get into action with the best size, shape, trigger and speed of first shot if it is done properly. BTW, I can carry the CZ that way but I never do because I like the 1911's better and they are 45's instead of 9mm, plus I have a 22 conversion kit for the CZ and that is nice to have. As to the safety on a DA gun, I never use then, except to decock and I prefer not to have them at all. One other thing about the CZ 75, if the gun has the hammer down and it is in the double action mode, you cannot put the safety on. In other words, if you are in double action mode it is always ready. I don't like the fact it switches to SA after the first shot, but I mainly just plink with that one for now.

Well, I have never carried a 1911 as a duty or protection weapon, but I've owned several of them.

I just can't see any difference in carrying a 1911 cocked but unlocked as opposed to a Glock that essentially is always in that mode. It seems to me that if it's OK for a Glock, it's also OK for a 1911.

When I carry my 1911 I carry with the hammer back and the safety off. The gun isn't going to fire if I don't put my hand around the grip and pull the trigger. I have tested it in a bench at the range. If the backstrap is not depressed it will not fire. So I guess I am that nobody that you are talking about.

Marswolf & Saintsfanbrian are correct... and to put an even finer point on it, a cocked 1911 without the safety engaged is EXACTLY the same as carrying an XD with one in the chamber (firing-mechanism cocked, grip-safety engaged, no other manual safety engaged).

The only difference in comparing the Glock, is that Glocks do not have any grip-safety (hence many police officers who now walk with a limp), although the action is still cocked (not completely, but still enough to discharge a primer if released).

It is in the location of the safety and the method of operation. Unlike the slide mounted safeties on many of the DA guns of today the thumb safety of a 1911 is mounted on the frame. Likewise, many 1911's have 3-4 pound trigger that are very crisp and no trigger block , though they do have grip safeties. I have had the thumb safety knock off while carrying a 1911 and that is when the grip safety is nice to have. When you draw a 1911, your thumb is already in the perfect position to deactivate a thumb safety and the grip safety is deactivated when you grip the gun, so it is a very natural gun to draw and shoot. The Glock is always ready to go and has the trigger block saftey. That is why I own Glocks and 1911's.

Glockster, that is the reason I don't use the thumb safety. While your thumb is in the perfect position to deactivate it, even with proper training, we sometimes loose control of fine motor skills. Not having a safety to disengage is one more thing that you don't have to worry about should you need to draw and fire your weapon.

I would take the advise of others here as to renting as many guns you can and shoot them. A gun should be a personal decision. You need to think long and hard about what you want this gun to do for you. If it's going to be a concealed carry gun, then it needs to be lighter and smaller than a range only gun. As far as it being your first gun, I personally would look for a 9mm rather than a larger caliber. Reason being is that it's cheaper to shoot and has less recoil. Take your time and make a good decision on what you feel is the best gun for you. Any of the larger name gun manufactures make good guns.

There are some good buys out there on guns that only have a couple hundred rounds through them and cost alot less than a brand new gun. Shop around and you'll be happy.

Guest GlocKingTN

Dont do like me and buy a gun just to get 5 miles down the road and find the same gun for $50-100 less with less than 100rds thru it!

I've done that... sorta. When I bought my third handgun, a Sig SP2340, it was new to the market and pretty much unknown, but since it was new they were going for very close to their MSRP, which was about $700...

Well, turns out, if I would have waited a few months (or a year), I would have paid almost half (and been able to purchase 12rd mags for it)

As it was, I lost money when I sold it... (couldn't find holsters, etc, for it)

I would buy another one, they are still pretty cheap... It was a great shooter too, just a bit more rough-around-the-edges than regular Sigs, but otherwise quite comperable to a Compact H&K USP.

Guest Voodoo_1

I see my reply is going to be controversial but here goes, since you have never handled a handgun and this will be your first, I highly suggest that you purchase a handgun with an external safety and use it. I practice my draw from a shoulder holster daily(gun unloaded) so that I am developing a routine that is, as soon as my gun clears my jacket my thumb pushes the safety lever to off, I concentrate on the front sight, find my target, and fire (a snap cap). As some have said, do whats best for you. My Beretta is set up with 17 rds. in the mag, 1 rd chambered, and safety on. As far as DA/SA (double action/single action) triggers, I have had no problem at all with my first shot in DA being spot on with my followup shots in SA. Many people have been shot by accidental discharges, and I am a strong believer that an external safety can help minimize this. When I was doing my search as you are now, I narrowed it down to 2. The Beretta 90-two (which I bought) and a Sig 226. Both are upper tier very fine handguns. I too had a budget of $500-$600 but realized to get what I wanted I was going to have to spend more. Don't make the mistake some do for settling for less because this purchase could some day save your life. You want 100% dependability and no less.

Voodoo - I don't think anyone thinks your thoughts are controversial. Having a safety and using it when you are getting familiar with your firearm is a great idea. Then again, if you are not 100% familiar with it, you possibly shouldn't be carrying it but that is a judgment call that YOU have to make and then live with what ever consequences might arise.

That being said, again, I cannot re-iterate enough the need to fire as many guns as you can get your hands on at a range in order to determine which one fits you best. If there isn't a range where you can rent them, at least go to a store and handle as many as you can. Talk to friends with guns and see if they will take you to the range so you can shoot theirs.

Good points all in all VooDoo! Buy the best gun that you can afford. Just because you can get two or three different guns for the price you are looking at, doesn't mean that you should.

Guest Voodoo_1

by saintsfanbrian:"Then again if you are not 100% familiar with it, you possibly shouldn't be carrying it.

Are you suggesting that since I choose to use the safety on my firearm that was put there, by the manufacturer, for this purpose, that I should not be carrying a firearm. Or that I practice my draw everyday that I am not qualified to carry a firearm. Let me tell you pal, I scored the highest in the class on both written and shooting quailification for my CW permit. My instructor's comments were "damn nice shooting, best I've seen in a while". I believe my instructor is more qualified in assessing my carry qualification than you. By the way, I did that "damn nice" shooting without putting my trigger finger out along side the rail and pointing at the target. I used the front sight.

Voodoo, I am not saying that you should not be carrying a firearm. I am only stating, that if you are not fully familiar with your firearm then you POSSIBLY shouldn't be carrying it. I am sure that you didn't go out and buy your first gun and then take the class the next day, got you permit and immediately started carrying.

You are right, your instructor is more qualified to assess your ability than I am. I did not intend to insult your abilities in the least. If I did, I am sorry.

As to the finger along the rail comment. That is a shooting style that I have thought about trying. When I qualified, I too used the front sight. I continue to use the front sight. I am only curious about a possible alternative way of target acquisition.

Look, I am no expert, I don't claim to be, but I was offering my opinion on getting familiar with a gun before you carry it. I could probably use a lot of help on stance and grip because other than the military a while ago, I have no "formal" training and the guys I used to go shooting with were not much help. I don't shoot long distances, usually under 25 feet, because I don't feel that anything over that distance really merits me using a weapon. I can probably find cover or get out of the situation.

Why not come out to Range USA on Sunday and we can meet and maybe get a shooting buddy out of it.

Wow, I go away for a weekend and my little thread becomes a monster lol.

Just to give everyone an update I'm going to go to several gun shops around town tomorrow to at least see how a lot of the different firearms feel/fit in my hand. I'm also going to try and locate a basic pistol safety class, and hopefully get into that as soon as I can.

Thanks for all of your help so far.