Romanian WASR-10 AK47

I need some input on this paticular gun. My father-in-law says they are "junk" I've read differing stories. Y'all guided me right on the Universal M1 so I've come to pick your brains again. I've been looking for an AK for over a year and have been offered this one for $300.00. Haven't looked at it yet, but always do a lot of research before I purchase anything. Like the title states it is a Romanian WASR-10 with a dragunov stock set. I've seen the on gunbroker going anywhere from 400-600 bucks. As always your input, good or bad is appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rebeldrummer

I have one...its had about 600 rds through it and no problems? CHEAP TULAMMO at that!!! might not be as accurate and solid as some high ends, but it gets the job done. The only thing I hunt with it are jugs, bottles, critters and paper! It gets the job done...

I have a Romanian AK, but it isn't a WASR. Mine is a kit gun that was done with a dimpled receiver.

The WASRs are probably one of the better deals going right now, as long as you can hold it and inspect it before purchase. Century doesn't have a great reputation for building their kit guns. The WASR is imported as a single stack rifle, the receiver is then ground out to accept the double stack magazine we all know and love. Sometimes it is ground out too much, sometimes not enough. There are also reports of canted sights and canted gasblocks. While these aren't fatal, it can be bothersome to fix. There are a couple of websites out there that will walk you through the process.

The stockset is a personal choice. Trust me, you can change it out to nearly whatever you want.

There are a couple of other things to take into account, making sure you are 922r compliant, and finding mags that work. I went through a dozen mags before I found the flavor that my gun likes the most.

In the end though, if it runs right, it is an AK, and it will continue to run right, even if you use a hammer to work on it and call in mean names.

Fit and finish are lacking but they're the last thing around nowadays with a chrome lined barrel. WASR's are built in Romania on military assembly lines as single stack magazine guns. These were built from parts that are classified as seconds and rejected from the military line. Parts are rejected for poor finish, flaking chrome etc. Century machines out the mag well to accept double stack mags and adds 922c compliance parts. Barrels are hammer forged/chrome lined where the guns that Century actually builds or subs out use soft steel blanks with cut rifling.

They're not pretty but they're better than the Century built AK's like the 1975 & Tantal.

As has been said already it is the bottom of the barrel AK. However, it is sometime better built than several of the other American AK guns you see out there from other companies. Some of those are just horrid for anything called really running a gun. If the sights are not canted and the mags easily snap in and out of place it is likely OK. If it runs OK it will likely continue to run OK.

At worst you run it a while and it has a problem and you send it off for a rebuild by somebody who knows how to build an AK and you get a very good rifle back.

I'd say if it runs and you just want a plinking gun it will likely do well. Personally I am not in the least impressed with a gun that has run 600-1000 rounds over the course of a year or more. I am impressed with a gun that runs 600-1000 rounds a day and does it day after day for many days. Then does it several times more. That is a good rifle. Those are my needs however and not necessarily the needs of everyone. Buy what will work for your needs. If that fits the bill then $300 is not much and even if you ended up having to put more in the gun down the road from a known builder you would still be coming out ahead, as the rifle would be worth more when marketed to those in the know.