Thinking about downsizing...Thoughts?

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

I have a 3G Glock 27 that I purchased as my EDC. I love the gun, however recently I decided to also start carrying my breaktop 5-shot revolver chambered in 38 S&W. The gun has been bobbed and snubnosed. I just really enjoy the convenience of a pocket pistol and considering I am in dress clothes alot it just works better for concealment that my G27. So now I have this crazy thought running through my mind of selling the glock and putting the money towards a better pocket carry pistol so that I am not carrying around my antique revolver all the time. Thoughts? Suggestions on good pocket pistols?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the same thing, I got a S&W 340, it weights 11 or 12 oz. empty. Best move I ever made for EDC. Its a 357 but I shoot 38s most of the time.

I've been through several carry weapons, pocket, IWB, and OWB. I've pretty much settled on a S&W 642 in a DeSantis Super Fly for pocket carry most of the time. I tend to walk with my hands in my pockets anyway so it's as easy to come out with it as it is without it. And there's no doubt it will operate if it's needed.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

^See that is what I like about the little 38 s&w revolver...I can put my hands right hand in my pocket when I am in a dark parking lot and have it ready to draw at a moments notice. I do like semi-autos too though. Just not sure I want to downgrade to a .380.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

If you really want a pocket gun, but don't want to drop down to a .380, give some thought to the Kahr PM9 (or upcoming CM9). Definitely small enough to go in a pocket, and you can use the 9mm round. If you're not set on keeping it in your pocket, the P9 or CW9 are also great choice. I will admit that I'm considering moving away from the CW for my EDC - been eyeing the M&P lately and it makes sense to me to pick up a full sized and the compact for consistency across shooting platforms - but it has been nothing but great for me. Easy to conceal. Very light. 100% reliable so far.

Guest The Highlander

I feel protected adequately with a 5-shot S&W 342 Ti in .38 special. I'm not sure I'd feel the same way with an antique break-top revolver of any flavor.

The crop of .380's is nice, wifey has a very concealable, accurate, and reliable Ruger LCP. Have you looked at those or the Kel-tec's?

You can also stay with the 9mm in the newer LC9, several of the Kahr's, and both SIG and Kimber have small pocket carry sized 9mm's coming out soon.

For me, and I used to wear suits all day, the revolvers were harder to pocket carry. The thin material of my pants pockets did little to help hide the gun. The small auto's disappeared pretty well though.

The Highlander

(My opinion) Every one with a HCP needs a 2" .38, there are times it is impractical to carry a full size pistol. The snubby is small and reliable, what more would you want in a self defense gun? I carry a 5" 1911 Springfield most of the time, but don't feel unarmed with my little .38

I find it a lot easier to conceal my Kahr P380 than my Ruger LCR - the flat shape is just easier to hide. If I have a jacket pocket to hide it in, the LCR will work, but if I'm carrying in my pocket the Kahr gets the duty.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

I have looked at the lc9 but honestly think it will be too large to pocket carry in my docker. I am a smaller guy (30/30 range) so my pockets tend to be smaller. As far as my current revolver I have taken it to the range and ran about 50 through it and it performed flawlessly...I just kind hate putting an antique heirloom through edc abuse

If printing is a concern, I may carry my Kel Tec 3AT. It is more concealable. If it's everyday carry where I don't worry about printing it's the 642. Although the 3AT has been 99.9% reliable, the 642 has been 100%.

If printing is a concern, I may carry my Kel Tec 3AT. It is more concealable. If it's everyday carry where I don't worry about printing it's the 642. Although the 3AT has been 99.9% reliable, the 642 has been 100%.

This is me if you sub my Glock 26 for the 642. I hardly ever carry less than the G26. If your break-top is reliable and concealable, I'd just keep your current line-up. I'm probably not that much bigger than you (5'11.5"; 160lbs), and I just don't think the baby Glock can be beat.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

Well I may just hold off and save up cash for another pocket gun and keep the g27. I like the breaktop but since its a family antique I hate risking damage to it edc'ing it thats all.

Don't mess with carrying the old break-top. You probably understand by now how rare the caliber, it's mediocre power and the availability of ammo.

I don't know what the gougers in Memphis are doing right now but it appears that S&W has dropped the price significantly on J-frames. At the last two shows in Knoxville 442/642's and a couple of other models have been selling for $369.95....brand new. Those prices are unheard of around here.

442 makes a great carry piece in a caliber with limitless options.

I look back with regret on most of the handguns I have sold / traded over the years. You may not feel that way and perhaps you are seriously strapped for cash. My personal preference would be to keep the G27 for those times when you can wear a cover garment, and if you want a pocket gun, save up and get one.

The S&W 642 and 442 are both currently available through Davidson's Gallery of Guns, and there are several Memphis-area dealers who are retailers for them. The best price is $368.49 plus taxes and fees, which works out to $422.52 out the door for either model.

Personally I'm waiting on Kahr to actually ship the CM9 to see what the street price ends up being. I'm hoping that will be small and light enough for pocket carry, without putting as big a dent in the wallet as the PM9.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

Well I am a full time college student with a part time job so my cash flow is limited. Another option would be to sell the 32 s&w safety hammerless I recently picked up and put that towards a new gun.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

If it was something I had just bought I would consider selling it. However it was my great-grandfather's gun so selling isnt an option. Thyat is why I am kinda torn right now.

I have thought many times of doing away with either my Glock 19 or 26. Instead, I bought an LCP for pocket carry. If I holster, then it's very hard to beat the 26. 19 usually stays at home. LCP goes everywhere.

I'd keep the 27. Hard to beat for carry, except in the pocket. For a true pocket gun, you'll probably have to accept 380 or j-frame. I went with 380. I can round off 7 rounds quickly at close range.

Save a few hundred bucks and problem solved. You'll regret selling the 27 if you are left without a larger caliber holster carry.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Save a few hundred bucks and problem solved. You'll regret selling the 27 if you are left without a larger caliber holster carry.

THIS. I'm not as anti-selling as some people (never sell; you'll always end up regretting it down the road), but I don't think you should sell something if it's going to leave one of your needs unmet. Right now you have a less than ideal setup, but at least you've got your "big" gun and something small and easy to hide. if you dropped your big gun down to a small you're going to be missing a component. And even if the only downside is that you're not going have anything fun to shoot at the range, it's still less than perfect. Pocket guns (or very easily concealable non-pocket guns) can be had for just a few hundred dollars - even if you're buying new. Save up for a little and you will be able to have the small gun you want, keep the big gun, and protect the old gun.