DIY Nightsight

So apparently a common thing with the M&P handgun is the white dot in the sights to come out. Well apparently mine did and I had this hairbrained idea to have a go at some DIY with it since I had nothing to lose and would probably have to replace it anyways. I went to Chinamart and picked up a bottle of glow in the dark paint for just under 3 bucks. Anyways, the paint had a small tip which was perfect for this job and all it took was 2 small drops to fill the opening. When it is finished find a way to keep the gun vertical so the paint can dry for 4 hours. You can try it out though once you get the paint on to see your work at work basically. Anyways, for 3 bucks it sure beats paying 100 or so bucks for a nightsight. You can do all three dots this way, but I just did the front so that it is a lot easier to get a bead on a target as opposed to lining up all 3 dots.

Missing front dot

w0t3zc.jpg

Paint

v4tfmc.jpg

Finished product

bdpbol.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

The only real downside seems to be that it's not going to glow for long after losing a charging light source. Other than that, though, it seems like you should have plenty of visibility on that front sight. A lot better than a sight with a missing dot, for sure!

I've done this to a couple of handguns. Works really well on revolvers with ramps and plain stock dot-less sights.

It really helps is your holster leaves the front sight exposed. When carried like that, even a little ambient light at night is enough to give off a small glow. Coarse, it's no TFO... but it's cheap. :D

Guest bkelm18

While not a true "night sight", something like that would come in handy say if your power went out or something. The benefit of the nice $150 night sights is that they don't need charging. :D

I used V10 paint from Glow Inc. & it works great. It's about $15.00 for an ounce, but that's enough to do about 30-40 pistols and it glows for up to 24 hours after being charged with a light. It also withstands gun cleaning chemicals. The photo below is of my Cougar on the left, with the painted sites - and my PX4 on the right, with Trijicon sites. This is more than an hour after I charged the paint with a light, for only 5 seconds & it's still brighter than the Trijicon sites. Charge before bed and it stays very bright all night. I've had the paint on my pistol for several months and its still as bright as when I applied it.

007-7.jpg

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
I used V10 paint from Glow Inc. & it works great. It's about $15.00 for an ounce, but that's enough to do about 30-40 pistols and it glows for up to 24 hours after being charged with a light. It also withstands gun cleaning chemicals. The photo below is of my Cougar on the left, with the painted sites - and my PX4 on the right, with Trijicon sites. This is more than an hour after I charged the paint with a light, for only 5 seconds & it's still brighter than the Trijicon sites. Charge before bed and it stays very bright all night. I've had the paint on my pistol for several months and its still as bright as when I applied it.

That's really impressive. I've never seen glow in the dark paint that glows that bright or for that long. Definitely going to have to look into picking some up.

Just ordered 1 oz of the v10 glow paint from Ebay...8.88 shipped...awesome.

I wonder if it would stick to my standard Glock sights? I don't really want to pay for night sights at the moment. The glock sights are not 3 dot so I'm not sure if they will have any place to stick.

Guest spoolie
I wonder if it would stick to my standard Glock sights? I don't really want to pay for night sights at the moment. The glock sights are not 3 dot so I'm not sure if they will have any place to stick.

just paint the front sight then...

Put some white paint where you want your dot and then go over it with a couple layers of V10 paint. They sell it in water base and solvent base. For pistols, you want to use solvent base unless you want to repaint every time you clean you pistols. The solvent based paint will withstand gun cleaners. Glow Inc. also has their glow paint different colors, not just green.

Guest spoolie

Update...just got my v10 paint in the mail...quick shipping from UT. I applied 3 drops to my S&W 1911 pro series.....****ing awesome stuff!!!!!!!!!!