National Park/Wildlife Refuge Carry

Guest 2HOW

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check this guys response on the knoxnews website out:

Posted by tnhiker on February 9, 2008 at 4:13 a.m.

Armed & Dangerous?

I used to carry a handgun with me during hiking trips, car trips, trips to the grocery store, etc. In fact, for many years I was in the law enforcement business and carried my handgun everywhere I went. Over time I've modified my behavior with regard to carrying firearms. There are several reasons why I feel having a concealed weapon either isn't a good idea or just plain ineffective but I feel the two main ones are:

1. While hiking it isn't practical to have a firearm in your hand all the time. If it isn't in your hand then it isn't going to be accessible enough to use whenever you might be confronted with a violent situation.

2. Having a firearm on your person might tend to lend you a false sense of security and therefor modify your otherwise cautious behavior and keen observation of strangers.

For those reasons (and more) I leave my handguns at home whenever I'm hiking.

I've been hiking more than 20 years and have hiked thousands of miles without once encountering a violent person. I take reasonable precautions:

Always have a keen awareness of others around you.

Don't look like a victim-in-waiting. Look people in the eyes. Speak-up. Be confident.

Avoid hiking in areas which are near "party spots" like those hiking shelters which are readily accessible (within 1 or 2 miles) from paved highways. There is a completely different group of people you'll find at spots like those versus more remote areas--especially areas that are truly backcountry and primitive where usually only serious hikers go.

And the #1 way to protect yourself from violence while hiking is to always hike with a partner.

In our society we cannot be 100% safe and thus we'll read about people who became victims of either violent-minded or demented individuals. Because these events are so rare they tend to become national news items. However, did you read about the drunk driver who killed a family of three in rural Montana last night? I bet you didn't. Nor did you read about any of those other "common" misfortunes that we risk each time we step outside. Life is filled with risks--just be careful.

And leave your handguns at home.

To read my full editorial on this topic please visit my website: Life After 50--One Man's Perspective, Al's Hiking Journals and Musings.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tnhiker/lifea...

Response to point #1: Ever hear of holsters?

Response to point #2: Situational awareness, not sometimes, all of the time.

Response to the #1 way to protect yourself while hiking: Are you supposed to use your hiking partner as a human shield?

Hey if you are hiking way out there and you are confronted by a bear, just remember, you don't have to be faster than the bear, but you do have to be faster then your partner....

Guest Boomhower

That's cute how the dems decline to respond. That's always a convinent option leading up to an election year.......Our elected officials are gonna get a lot done this year, let me tell ya.

There is simply no legitimate or substantive reason for a thoughtful sportsman or gun owner to carry a loaded gun in a national park unless that park permits hunting," the groups said in a statement.

Gee, you can't think of one single good reason to carry a gun in the park?

Guest tjbert47
I think we will get this one and lose the bar bill.

I don't think we will get either of those. TWRA won't let the park bill go through and Jimmy Naffie will not let the bar bill out of committee.

Tom in TN