holsters for the "larger" man....

Guest rebeldrummer

Guest rebeldrummer

ok so im not embarrassed about it, im a larger guy. I come from a large southern family who likes to get together and cook....grill....and eat!!

Anyways, I do have a nice set of "love handles" (or so my wife says!)

I have noticed that certain holsters hold guns higher than others and some just ride all wrong. I have never tried something like a Crossbreed Supertuck but have been told that they are super comfy even for larger guys. Now if your a smaller guy you probably wont understand this 100% but your input on good, comfortable holsters is appreciated.

Guns I carry now..

Glock 23 - when at work

Glock 27 - when im not at work

Ruger LC9 on the way (I have a De-Santis leather IWB already)

Ruger SR9c on the way - assuming going to carry similar to Glocks??

thanks guys...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain. My wife, bless her heart, says I'm not really overweight...I'm just a foot too short for my weight. I thought a pancake holster would be best, but like you said, they ride too high for my spare tire.

My Crossbreed Supertuck is perfect though. The gun disappears and I forget its there now that I've discovered that I can tuck a tshirt behind my holster, put on my Perry suspenders, and wear an outer shirt to hide the rig and my suspenders! It's very comfy all day. Plus you can adjust how high the back rides so you get enough grip sticking out without jelly roll interference.

Plus you can adjust how high the back rides so you get enough grip sticking out without jelly roll interference.

This. The Supertuck, Comptac MTAC, and similarly designed holsters allow for ride height and cant adjustment. Seems to allow pretty good adjustment for those of us who EDC a spare tire.

Someone needs to invent a QUALITY set up for bib overalls. I don't know if you wear overalls, but a lot of the big fellas around here do. If there was a way to do that, it would be a fine solution.

HA! Could you imagine 5.11 tactical overalls?

HA! Could you imagine 5.11 tactical overalls?

I laughed at first, but then I realized...hey! you may be onto something here. Google has NOTHING! :D

The bib could be full of MOLLE webbing to hang gear on like a chest rig. The sides would have to be cut lower (maybe button down near the hip instead of up past your waist), so you can have an inside the overall holster (I guess that'd be an ITO holster).

Otherwise, you can just get a duty belt and OC full time :screwy:

Edited by BigK
Guest Scramasax

As to bib carry, get a soft itp holster and sew it inside. I find just under my rb is a good spot. For belt carry I have used a Skelton belt scabbard for over thirty years.

The other option is a Miami classic shoulder holster under a hawwian shirt. Always appropriate for a bar b q.

Cheers,

ts

Guest rebeldrummer
dude... i feel for ya.. glock 23 in a galco combat master on strong side hip.... smaller gun in your strong side pocket... thats how i roll

I like how you roll my man!!... I will look into the Galco C.M. for sure. Thanks

Guest rebeldrummer
I feel your pain. My wife, bless her heart, says I'm not really overweight...I'm just a foot too short for my weight. I thought a pancake holster would be best, but like you said, they ride too high for my spare tire.

My Crossbreed Supertuck is perfect though. The gun disappears and I forget its there now that I've discovered that I can tuck a tshirt behind my holster, put on my Perry suspenders, and wear an outer shirt to hide the rig and my suspenders! It's very comfy all day. Plus you can adjust how high the back rides so you get enough grip sticking out without jelly roll interference.

Wow...our wives are alot alike!!! ha ha...good women! So your not a suspender guy out of "fashion sense" it take it. Neither am I. But under a shirt to help out a rig is something I will have to try. Cant wait to try the Supertuck (or similar)

Guest rebeldrummer
This. The Supertuck, Comptac MTAC, and similarly designed holsters allow for ride height and cant adjustment. Seems to allow pretty good adjustment for those of us who EDC a spare tire.

wow....EDC a spare tire!! HA! HA! HA! :screwy: I will be looking into those suggestions today. Thanks

Guest rebeldrummer
I've always prefered a Pancake style holster covered with a long untucked shirt.

This is pretty much how I roll now.

Guest rebeldrummer

The other option is a Miami classic shoulder holster under a hawwian shirt. Always appropriate for a bar b q.

Cheers,

ts

I like your thinking...I used to wear a shoulder holster at work sometimes, I had to sit and stand and sit and stand alot. I might have to get another one

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
correct me if im wrong, but is that a Crossbreed??

nice set up

Definitely looks to be a Supertuck. Notice the extra hole under the clip - that lets you adjust ride height by moving the clips up or down. It will also get you some cant if you put your clips at different heights.

I don't have a Supertuck, but I do rock the QwikClip every day. Quite comfy for a light gun like the CW9, so I'm sure the more robust Supertuck would do you right with a larger piece.

I don't think I should even try a IWB holster.

Because of my size...my front pockets are pretty big. So I pocket carry my Glock 32. It prints when I sit sometimes but standing it isn't noticeable at all. I have a Blackhawk OWB holster I use sometimes...I even bought the dropdown (for when wearing a jacket) attachment to make it more comfortable.

Guest spoolie
Definitely looks to be a Supertuck. Notice the extra hole under the clip - that lets you adjust ride height by moving the clips up or down. It will also get you some cant if you put your clips at different heights.

I don't have a Supertuck, but I do rock the QwikClip every day. Quite comfy for a light gun like the CW9, so I'm sure the more robust Supertuck would do you right with a larger piece.

I love the qwikclip also...

fbb1cf5a.jpg

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
I love the qwikclip also...

As basically the only person I have come across that has and uses both, is there much difference in comfort? If so, which gets the edge? Is there any reason to choose the Supertuck over the QwikClip for a small, light gun? I use a crappy non-gun belt or my regular dress belt and have not experienced much (if anything) in the way of movement or pants sag. Nor do I really notice I'm wearing. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head I might want that I don't get is height adjustability.

I ask because my dad has been making puppy dog eyes over my CW9 and holster, and I'm going to let him test them out for a while. His birthday is coming up, so he may just be able to keep them (or at least trade for them). That would mean I would have to get another for myself, and that would be the time, if there is to be a time, to make the switch.

I'm a big guy...actually; I'm fat (or so my Doctor tells me)...I'm working on it slowly (lost about 20 pounds in the last nine months) so I should be pretty slim by the time I take the dirt nap! ;)

Anyway...I've spent quite a bit of money on holsters over the years. I've got a couple of Galco OWB holsters that I like and do use but I've not found anything as or more comfortable for the entire day as a Crossbreed SuperTuck. I'm sure there are others out there that might be as good or even better but I don't want to keep spending money on holsters when there are so many cool guns to buy! :)

Overalls do limit carry some but you can adjust. I rarely wear waist pants (I've even worn overalls to the opera). Big loose pockets on overalls allow for larger guns and the suspenders hold them up. I sometimes carry a Taurus 2" 617 in the RF, Keltec 3PAT in LR, and a S&W snubbie airweight in the RR. My wallet and ignition keys in the LF,knife clipped on a bibb pocket and all my other keys to a right side button hole with a halyard snap. Old timey cargo pants.

Guest GLOCKGUY

I'm a big guy too and if you would of ask me this question 2 months ago I would of told you to get a Crossbreed Supertuck but I pulled out my Comptac MTAC IWB holster a few weeks ago and put it back on and man I can honestly tell you without a doubt the Comptac MTAC is 10 times more comfortable then the Crossbreed.

Guest spoolie
As basically the only person I have come across that has and uses both, is there much difference in comfort? If so, which gets the edge? Is there any reason to choose the Supertuck over the QwikClip for a small, light gun? I use a crappy non-gun belt or my regular dress belt and have not experienced much (if anything) in the way of movement or pants sag. Nor do I really notice I'm wearing. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head I might want that I don't get is height adjustability.

I ask because my dad has been making puppy dog eyes over my CW9 and holster, and I'm going to let him test them out for a while. His birthday is coming up, so he may just be able to keep them (or at least trade for them). That would mean I would have to get another for myself, and that would be the time, if there is to be a time, to make the switch.

I think the supertuck is slightly more comfortable from having 2 belt points instead of just the 1 large. I tried carrying one of my government sized 1911's with the quik...it was keep the belt super tight or keep adjusting it. I carry the Smith officer in the qwik and all others are in the supertuck. I carry all day long everyday and have no problems with comfort with either of them. I own 7 crossbreeds, my wife 1.

The key is a good gun belt...wilderness...

Guest rebeldrummer

ok so here is what I am wondering. I own a G23 and soon to get a G26 or G27. Obviously those two are designed the same. Now, should I get a Kydex style molded for the larger or smaller?? If I go smaller, then the larger's barrel will stick out a bit. If I go larger then there will be a space at the bottom, but what about the top? Will it sit too deep in the holster?? Anyone out there have both model Glocks and just 1 CBST that can shed some light