Kahr CM9

D3vo

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I haven't read any range reports or anything yet.

I don't see why it wouldn't be as reliable as a PM9 (which of course can be initially somewhat problematic).

Plus you could safely shoot lead bullets.

I accidentally shot just two mags' worth of lead heads through my PM9 not long ago, and wow, I see why these and Glocks could blow up pretty quick from doing it.

- OS

I enjoyed shooting the PM9(Thanks Mac) but the only thing that kept me from buying one was the high price tag and mixed reliability reports (as Mac mentioned^^^)

My hunch is this-----Kahr realized that they overpriced the PM9 and would have sold a whole hell of a lot more had they been closer to the $475-500 range, but they can't exactly lower the price of the PM9 because it hurts the image* So instead they just developed a nearly identical gun and positioned it at a lower price point. I imagine the quality is still on par with the rest of their guns.

This is just a hunch so take it for what it's worth.

*historically most companies always try to avoid lowering prices because it makes consumers question why the company would do so and could hurt the image. Imagine if Rolex watches were suddenly the same price as a Timex.(might be a poor example but you get the point)

edit to add- obviously they try to point out the differences between the 2 guns to make us aware that the production costs are less. However I still stick to my hunch that they probably realized they overpriced themselves but just don't want us to know that. :rock:

Edited by Erik88

Erik88 and OhSoot have viable points and I hope that is the case. I have a K9 and it is a fine weapon, and although its not too much larger than the PM9, I wouldn't mind downsizing if the quality and performance is the same.

I think Eric hit the nail on the head here:

...My hunch is this-----Kahr realized that they overpriced the PM9 and would have sold a whole hell of a lot more had they been closer to the $475-500 range, but they can't exactly lower the price of the PM9 because it hurts the image* So instead they just developed a nearly identical gun and positioned it at a lower price point. I imagine the quality is still on par with the rest of their guns.

This is just a hunch so take it for what it's worth. ...

Kahr makes an excellent firearm. It is basically a single stack Glock (...a great idea that Glock would have done well to implement...). I predict Kahr will make lots of money selling these "less costly" models. I would much rather have a Kahr than a Ruger (...as much as i like the company and their single (...and double...) actions...).

I cant wait for them to become readily available and the "new" to wear of of them. Then i'll pick one up, stick it in my pocket every day to ward off any miscreants and thugs, and put up my trusty Sig 238 in the gunsafe.

I say:..."Keep up the good work Kahr"....

Leroy

Guest Lester Weevils

Wouldn't mind having a PM9 or CM9, though even the P9 is small enough for pocket carry in my pockets because it is so thin.

The P9 is in the same size ballpark as a G26 except thinner, so guess Glock just doesn't have anything that competes size-wise with a CM9 or PM9?

I like the trigger on my P9 as far as double action goes. Am ignorant about Glocks, but the trigger in a Gen 3 G17 I recently got feels pretty good. I'd like my P9 even better if it had the trigger action of that G17.

Guest MrCleaner30

I don't see how the PM9 would be any less reliable than a CM9 given the different parts list. I have a PM9 I bought NIB and have put everything from cheap wal-mart target ammo to expensive defensive ammo and have NEVER had 1 malfunction. I also have a P380 and same thing never a hiccup. So as far as mixed reliability issues I haven't had it nor have I seen a malfunction from anyone in person at the range.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Also no malfunctions from my CW9. Even during the "break in" period it was great. I'm kinda hoping that my dad will pick one of these up, decide it's too small for him, and then trade with me. Haha. He keeps eyeing mine, though, so I guess it could happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Kahr PM9 and it was hard to swallow the price but . . . it does shoot nice and mine has never burped yet. Same with my Sig P238 which I alternate with my Kimber Ultra 45 as EDC's. Perhaps when/if the gun craze cools a bit the manufacturers will have to lower their MSRP's more but right now its their market.

Guest MrCleaner30

CM9 right now seems to be the highest value micro-compact 9mm on the market yet. They will sell like hot cakes I'm sure. Street price is very close to the new LC9. That is a no brainer! My 2cents...

My hunch is this-----Kahr realized that they overpriced the PM9 and would have sold a whole hell of a lot more had they been closer to the $475-500 range, but they can't exactly lower the price of the PM9 because it hurts the image* So instead they just developed a nearly identical gun and positioned it at a lower price point. I imagine the quality is still on par with the rest of their guns.

It isn't a hunch...it is a very true situation that creates somewhat of a problem for the company. S&W is going though the same thing right now.

They can't just lower the MSRP because it would piss off (rightly so) all of the dealers who have inventory at the higher price. So the result is that they have to market a totally different level of product to keep everyone happy.

In this case the result is the CM9

Guest FiddleDog

I've had less than good luck with Kahrs. I've own both the CW9 and the P45. Neither liked ammo that wasn't S&B. Ended up with a lot of FTEs. The P45 had an additional problem with the trigger not going online. Kahr CS was very helpful, but I was dismayed to find that they don't cover their firearm, regardless of age, if you are not the original owner. It's a shame that I love the trigger (when it works) and the form factor - you can easily make 1 ragged hole at 8-10 yards.