Obama statement on gun violence

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080215/ap_on_el_pr/obama

MILWAUKEE - Barack Obama says the country must do "whatever it takes" to eradicate gun violence but believes in the right to bear arms.

<SCRIPT language=javascript>if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['x08ZYNj8Ymg-']='&U=13bf1qkdc%2fN%3dx08ZYNj8Ymg-%2fC%3d619213.12054933.12500277.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d4919452';</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

Obama says he's offered his Senate office to help Northern Illinois University with the investigation into a campus shooting rampage. The shooting happened in his home state. Obama was campaigning in neighboring Wisconsin.

The senator, a former constitutional law instructor, says he believes the Second Amendment to the Constitution grants individual gun rights.

But he says it's subject to commonsense regulations like background checks.

What do you think he means by these statements?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he means that he wants more votes.

Bingo.

That Obama's a piece of sh*t and I told him to go suck on my machine gun.

Honestly I hope he gets the nomination after a brutal divisive battle. Even a RINO like McCain will have no problem taking him apart in debates when it comes to substance. You can't beat someone with no one and Obama is truly a no one.

More from the same article:

Although Obama supports gun control, while campaigning in gun-friendly Idaho earlier this month, he said he does not intend to take away people's guns.

At his news conference, he voiced support for the District of Columbia's ban on handguns, which is scheduled to be heard by the Supreme Court next month.

So he "does not intend to take away people's guns" yet he "supports the District of Columbia's ban on handguns." I guess he means he won't take them away but if a local jurisdiction wants to, it's OK with him. And when President Obama or President Clinton has appointed enough Federal Judges including some on the Supreme Court, the courts will not interfere with local or state wide bans.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080215/ap_on_el_pr/obama

MILWAUKEE - Barack Obama says the country must do "whatever it takes" to eradicate gun violence but believes in the right to bear arms.

<SCRIPT language=javascript>if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['x08ZYNj8Ymg-']='&U=13bf1qkdc%2fN%3dx08ZYNj8Ymg-%2fC%3d619213.12054933.12500277.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d4919452';</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

Obama says he's offered his Senate office to help Northern Illinois University with the investigation into a campus shooting rampage. The shooting happened in his home state. Obama was campaigning in neighboring Wisconsin.

The senator, a former constitutional law instructor, says he believes the Second Amendment to the Constitution grants individual gun rights.

But he says it's subject to commonsense regulations like background checks.

What do you think he means by these statements?

I wonder if he believes that the other rights guaranteed by the BoR are subject to governmental regulation (as if the purpose for them wasn't to prevent governmental interference... :shrug:)

That was a great example of taking a stance on an issue without taking one. He's for it, but against it. It's a right, but government can control it as much as they want. He's not going to take them, just let the states and laws take them. On and on and on it went.

He' been learning from the Clinton's.

It's the same old dance... when your in a Pro-Gun State...

You take the "pro-gun" stance.

When you campaign in an anti-gun state... you talk

the "anti-gun" talk.

Repubs, Dems, Independents... doesn't matter what they say.

Just look at their records. How they voted. And what they have said

in the past.

I don't think Obama is Pro-Gun, anymore than McCain is against Illegal Immigration. Doesn't matter what they say. Their voting history speaks for them. (IMHO)

Guest jackdog

I have to agree with creely on this.

You think Obama really thinks that the gang bangers and thugs in D> get there firearm through legal channels. Duh sure they do hey Obama your A F*&king idiot.

Guest olretiredgunney

EVERYONE

make shure you have plenty of brass,powder,lead and reloading equiptment!!!!!!!!!!!!What are they gonna do?Put 12 million of us in jail?

Guest TargetShooter84

Obama doesnt really understand the gun rights that we have, and he has no interest in doing so, he is saying all the BS for more votes, and wants to be the first africian-american president so he'll do anything to get votes, much less make "promises" that wont be kept....its going to be a very very very unfortunate 4 years....

I think he means that he wants more votes.

His comments that he supports the right to bear arms were directed at the same people that did not understand what he said when he said he wants to “Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weaponsâ€. ;)

Guest canynracer

Whatever...all I know is I guess it'll be a coold day for the gubment when they try to take guns from 12 million people....

"What country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons”.

my guess is that this will never happen, but they will allow the sale and transfer if you pay a huge tax, like buying full auto now. That way the wealthy elitist types will still be able to do as they wish. Just us low lifes will be effected.

“Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weaponsâ€.

my guess is that this will never happen, but they will allow the sale and transfer if you pay a huge tax, like buying full auto now. That way the wealthy elitist types will still be able to do as they wish. Just us low lifes will be effected.

Don't be too sure. That's pretty close to what they did in Australia.