what do you see here??

Guest rebeldrummer

Guest rebeldrummer

I just bought a BRAND NEW pistol yesterday....

Since it was nice and rainy outside today, I figured it would be a good day to completely break it down and get familiar with all of the parts.

Well, everything on the out looked as to be expected with a new gun..

However the same could not be said when I took the slide off and barrel out...

I will not mention the maker or model as to keep the brand specific bashers at bay...

Here are a few pics, my camera skills are not the best but you can see what Im talking about.

REMEMBER, THIS IS A NEW, OUT OF BOX PISTOL. I HAVE NOT SHOT THIS AT ALL!!!!!

Edited by rebeldrummer
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...1448ltt.jpg

Don't know exactly what I'm seeing on some of the other pix, but it's pretty common to see a slightly dirty bore, since 'bout all companies test fire at least one round before shipping, if for no other reason than to satisfy legal requirements of a state or two. Did it come with one spent shell casing?

- OS

Did this come new from a dealer or an individual. As for the barrel residue. That's normal on a new pistol since they usually test fire them at the factory. The markings on the outside of the barrel looks as though it has actually been fired quite a bit or at least had the slide opened a lot. I have the same pistol you are showing and it should have a small envelope with a factory shell casing and test firing date. If these are not included then I would be concearned about it being "new". I've fired mine a couple thousand times and my barrel isn't scratched like that.

Guest rebeldrummer

slightly dirty doesnt begin to describe it....also in one of the barrel pics, if you look in the upper right hand part, you will see what looks like a groove WITHING a groove? it seems to be about 3/4" or 1" long?? and the outside of the barrel is majorly scratched, looks like bad tooling or something??

maybe I am just over-thinking it?? all of my other new guns never have looked this bad???

Guest rebeldrummer

yes it does come with the spent casing.....but so has many of my used firearms I have purchased? cant rely on that alone determining if new or not??

case in point, I have all the envelopes and spent casings still of all the pistols i have bought new?? some are 8 years old.

Guest rebeldrummer
If you mean the groove near the end of the barrel. That is suppost to be there. It was designed that way. I think it has to do with clearance.

no look at the pic of the inside of the barrel, the groove toward the top of pic has what looks like (to me) a gouge or something.

Guest bkelm18
oh and this was bought from a dealer....again, BRAND NEW

If they sold it to you as new, it's pretty possible they weren't entirely truthful. The wear on the barrel is not something you'd see on a brand new gun unless they test fired it a few hundred times at the factory (which they don't).

I always find some junk in a new gun barrel. Give it a good cleaning and look again. They ususally include a fired case with a new pistol, but that doesn't mean they only fire one when they were testing. For example, my CZ came with one fired case, but also included a computer generated 3 shot group where they tested for accuracy.

I don't think you need to be concearned, unless you think it is used or abused. You might go back to the dealer and ask about an exchange or go look somewhere at another identical pistol in a store and see if it looks similar. These are incredible pistols and great shooters. I've had over 2,500 rounds through mine without a single misfire, failure to feed, or problem of any kind.

the only thing I see that looks off, but its hard to tell with these pics, is the deep gouge in the barrel face on the upper left (if it IS a gouge, it could be a discolor?) and the somewhat excessive scratches on the barrel outside (which look bad but it could be the lighting or image taken). It could be lightly used, sold as new. It could be normal. Its hard to tell from what you gave us. If you think its abnormal, take it back, thats easy enough to do. Or, go to another store, look at the same gun, ask the dealer to take the slide off so you can look inside or if you can do it yourself. Compare them.

Guest rebeldrummer

thanks for all the input guys. the barrel is scratched up A LOT....its not just the picture. and there is what seems to be a gouge?? i am taking it back tomorrow for them to look at. i just wanted to make sure that there was some basis to do so, that way they didnt look at me weird.