Ruger 22/45 disassembly made quick and easy

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My mark iii is not a 22/45, but I have never had any problems stripping it. Everyone always makes a big deal about it, but I have never found it any more difficult than any other weapon I have.

Yer kidding right? Now I've gotten used to it...don't have to watch the video or stand on my head anymore, but it is still harder (slower) to field strip than anything else I've encountered. And I did have to use a nylon mallet the first time. Mark III Hunter.

I have a secondhand MkIII, and if I want to remove the barrel from the frame, it takes some beating with a deadblow hammer...that said, I don't ever take the upper off anymore. Since it runs dirty anyways, when it's time to clean it, I only strip to the point of bolt removal, and work from the breech or chamber. Good enough. I used to have mainspring issues during the teardown / reassembly, but one call to Ruger customer service showed me how to fix that in 30 seconds. The tech said that his method should be showing up in the online manuals at some point, but it's been nearly a year, so we'll see on that one.

Yer kidding right? Now I've gotten used to it...don't have to watch the video or stand on my head anymore, but it is still harder (slower) to field strip than anything else I've encountered. And I did have to use a nylon mallet the first time. Mark III Hunter.

No, I am not kidding. The first time I decided to do it, I read the owners manual step-by-step, and there were no problems. It seems like it has loosened up since that first attempt, but I have yet to ever had to use a mallet or any other tool for that matter. Maybe my hands are just more powerful than all you other pansies, I don't know. :rolleyes: I'm just messing with you, but honestly, if I count the steps to strip it verses most all of my other guns, I doubt that it would be any more.

Well I don't know of any other gun that requires you to insert a mag multiple times, press trigger multiple times, be sure you hold up at certain times, be sure you hold down at certain times, and hit with nylon hammer. It's all on the videos of the Ruger link I posted. Sorry but I find it all a bit ridiculous. Show me evidence of a worse/longer takedown process and I'll believe you.

Well I don't know of any other gun that requires you to insert a mag multiple times, press trigger multiple times, be sure you hold up at certain times, be sure you hold down at certain times, and hit with nylon hammer. It's all on the videos of the Ruger link I posted. Sorry but I find it all a bit ridiculous. Show me evidence of a worse/longer takedown process and I'll believe you.

Nylon 66 would make your head asplode. It too is considered one of the greatest .22 caliber guns made. How about any double barrel taken down to an equivalent inventory of parts.

Think about it this way. A $300 Slabside MKII with a good trigger will outshoot a $2000 1911. Sorry if anyone doesn't agree, but the ones who do have their heads in the sand. This is why people put up with the crazy teardown. If it didn't shoot then people would buy something else.

I just watched the video you posted, and seems that the video in the op is evidence enough that all those steps are not required. I guess if my gun required all that, then I might whine. However, I can think of at least three other mark pistols that I have messed, and none of them required me to use a hammer either.