Picked up a better carry gun then the XD...

Guest Miracle

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a nice pistol. I feel inclined to argue that it's better than an XD, but I suppose if YOU are happy and hit well with it, then it really is a better gun than the XD.

I know one thing, and it's not polite and Christian like to say, but the death of Bill was the best thing to happen to Ruger in a loooong time. They are making guns now that are up with the times. I LOVE the M77 and I have a few Ruger revolvers but never owned and Auto. I will say I am partial to XD because I am rather heavily invested in them but if I had to do it over today I'd certainly paw at one of those for a while before deciding.

Very nice.

One of the new Ruger SR9c's... love this thing... nice and compact, light, and 17+1, FTW!!!...

Great that you love yer new piece, but be fair on the comparison.

Couple ounces weight diff in weight with flush mags, but the SR9c only holds 10 rounds, while the XD SC holds 13.

If you're going to carry the extended mag, you have butt config same size as the full size SR9, and of course can do same with XD, but then why have the compact model period?

- OS

Couple ounces weight diff in weight with flush mags, but the SR9c only holds 10 rounds, while the XD SC holds 13.

If you're going to carry the extended mag, you have butt config same size as the full size SR9, and of course can do same with XD, but then why have the compact model period?

- OS

this is what I was thinking. He never did say what made this better than the XD. Both are great guns BTW

Guest NashvegasMatt

- OS

If we are talking about the XD sub-compact, it only holds 13 if you are using the full size mag, which defeats the purpose of the whole "sub-compact" concept. The only true comparison would be carrying the actual 9+1 mag, not the full size. Lets be honest here, you can't compare a full size weapon to a compact version, no matter the brand, style, make, or model. Has to be apples and apples, or there is no chance of it being better than the other....only different.

Edited by NashvegasMatt
If we are talking about the XD sub-compact, it only holds 13 if you are using the full size mag, which defeats the purpose of the whole "sub-compact" concept. The only true comparison would be carrying the actual 9+1 mag, not the full size. Lets be honest here, you can't compare a full size weapon to a compact version, no matter the brand, style, make, or model. Has to be apples and apples, or there is no chance of it being better than the other....only different.

actually no. The XD 9mm subcompact holds 13 in the SHORT magazine and like 16 in the long magazine.

Guest Blown4v

my xdsc 9 holds 16 in the extended mag and 10 in flush mag.

I checked out both and the XD felt way better to me. The ruger may be slimmer for easier conceal, but after shooting the XD for a couple hundred rounds, I know I made the right choice, love this gun

If we are talking about the XD sub-compact, it only holds 13 if you are using the full size mag,...

Sorry, absolutely wrong. Flush short mags come in 10 or 13. Perhaps you are talking about the .40 model.

actually no. The XD 9mm subcompact holds 13 in the SHORT magazine and like 16 in the long magazine.

Correct.

my xdsc 9 holds 16 in the extended mag and 10 in flush mag...

The flush mags only held 10 for the first couple years of production. They were redesigned to hold 13 in exactly same size mag. Happened about the time the XDm came out and they tweaked the short mags ala the XDm design.

You should get one, if you carry the XD SC 9, for sure.

XD subcompacts have shipped for couple of years now with 13 round short and 16 round full sized mags.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Sgt. Joe

I certainly LOVE both my SR9 and my SR9c but I have never owned nor even fired an XD in any configuration.

The OP reads to me like the man owns both and thinks that the Ruger is the better of the two, If that is the case then it IS the best one for him.

If he has not owned or shot an XD I find it odd for him to say the SR is better.

Like I said I LOVE my SR's but since I have never had an XD I would never go as far as to say that the SR was better than an XD or even an M&P for that matter, if I have not owned and shot them both how could I know. :)

Ruger and I certainly have a very hot love affair going these days but I would be silly to think that they are the best guns for everyone.

As with all things we are all going to have our favorites. I dont think I will ever be swayed away from my EDC Rugers but it is certainly possible.

But even if I did own them both the best I could do is say which one was better for me which may or may not be true for anyone else.

One thing is for certain though; and that is that darn Ruger SR9c is getting to be one mighty popular handgun, which I did predict would happen after I bought mine a week after the release last Jan. It is certainly a really good handgun but it is highly doubtful everyone is going to agree that it is the BEST.

Ruger is certainly hitting the market aggressively these days with all their new releases and at least so far the best I can tell without any Duds.;)

The OP reads to me like the man owns both and thinks that the Ruger is the better of the two, If that is the case then it IS the best one for him....

Hey, if one likes a gun better, for whatever reason, cool.

It's just that the three factors he mentioned simply aren't empirically superior compared to the XD SC ("compact", "light", "capacity of full size high cap mag")

- OS

Guest Kamikaze

My extended mag holds 17 for some reason. With one in the pipe thats 18. Functions fine though. Try yours and see if it will also.

Guest Moody

Out of the lesser of two evils, I would have just bought another XD... but, I would have bought an M&P, etc. Tell us how you like it when you get some time with it at the range.

Guest NashvegasMatt

I'm not going to lie, I have too thought about picking one of these up, if for nothing other than to have a more "slim" version of my xd. Then again, when I handle it at the gun shop, i notice all sorts of imperfections, that I cannot tell if it's because it's defect, or mis handling by customers. It just seems that there are a lot of "plastic-e" part on it. I know the XD is not aluminum or anything, but the whole frame is like that, not just some of the parts.

They must have forgotten to put my 16rnd mag in the case when I bought one...

imagevbs.jpg

Those are XD .40 SW mags.

We've been comparing and discussing the 9mm models.

.40 shells are, like, you know, larger.

Maybe you have 9mm shells in them, can't tell for sure by pic, and that will sort of work ("iffy", and need to tweak feed lips) but they are .40 mags assuming they are made by Springfield. Should say .40 on bottom of plastic caps.

XD SC 9mm mags:

left: original 10 round flush

middle: redesigned 13 round flush

right: 16 round standard 9mm with "X-tension" spacer

xd9sc-mags.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
My extended mag holds 17 for some reason. With one in the pipe thats 18. Functions fine though. Try yours and see if it will also.

Yeah, they generally will, once you've used them for a while, especially if you use a mag loader.

Like you, mine seem to work, but I still don't over-load them myself.

- OS