Whazup with bicycles?

Guest KCSTEVE

JReedEsq...this is not a debate that is WINNABLE....no matter how SAFE we as cyclist are it is not enough for some folks...no matter what. The LAW is the LAW and we are "entitled" to use the same roads as motor vehicles...plain and simple they can't...won't or don't see us...so WE have to BE VISIBLE...even where there are BIKE LANES assume you have a target on your back.

This is gun forum. We, as gun owners, tend to be very passionate when someone infringes on our rights. Some folks are more passionate than others. Look at all the threads on restaurant carry, etc. Bicyclists are the same way regarding use of public roads.

We, as gun owners, get pissed when the general public sees what lunatics like kwik do and then think all gun owners are just like him. That cyclist who rides down the middle of the lane and won't move over for anyone is the "kwik" of cycling.

I had a similar discussion with my mother when I bought a sport bike. No Mom, I'm not that idiot weaving between cars and riding wheelies down the interstate while wearing shorts and flip-flops. He's just the only one you notice. No one notices the other 95% of motorcyclists who obey the laws and generally act like they've got some sense.

Edited by peejman
added another comparison point
Guest mustangdave

We, as gun owners, get pissed when the general public sees what lunatics like kwik do and then think all gun owners are just like him. That cyclist who rides down the middle of the lane and won't move over for anyone is the "kwik" of cycling.

Well then just shoot his KWIK ass....I kid...I kid

Guest mustangdave
Careful now. Someone might just shoot back...

Can you CC in SPANDEX?.....edit...the bulge does NOT mean I'm happy to see you...

Guest KimberChick
Greenways are okay for a gentle little "Sunday pedal", but they aren't usually the most direct way to get where you're going, and certainly are not generally designed for making time (and with all the pedestrians and dogs, you run into same probs as sidewalk biking).

- OS

We just had an 8 mile long Greenway open up here. The walkers/joggers moan and complain about EVERYTHING and generally don't feel like they should share with cyclists and have no issue with letting their animals and children meander all over the paved trail. Meanwhile, a polite "on the left" either doesn't get heard because their headphones are in or they YELL at you for passing them at a speed they deem "too fast" which is really slow when compared to regular street riding. So sorry my road bike is geared in such a way that I cannot stay UPRIGHT and maintain a 3mph pace! There has been one guy who BOMBED down the trail on his aerobars a few times(my hero), everyone else is just a steady pace....or tries to be when kids aren't hobbling out into oncoming trail traffic, lol. These are the same folks who have bought "comfort bikes" for the trail and EXPECT cars to stop for them at crossings...despite the trail having stop signs. It crosses several of the area's busiest north-south roads. One person got hit a few months ago when she just hoofed it out into the road. I lol'd honestly. Entitlement types make me laugh.

We all still ride it and just ignore the snarky folks. It beats what I'm used to riding....US Hwy 70...which parallels the trail. the problem is, the core user group of the trail has NEVER ridden in traffic before and has no idea what that is like. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. i dunno.

Oh...and Critical Mass types can suck it. Those guys do more to make motorists hate us than anyone else.

[/end]

Can you CC in SPANDEX?.....edit...the bulge does NOT mean I'm happy to see you...

Naah I just carry pepper spray for dogs. Just so happens my pepper spray is a .380. If you're ever in a bike shop have a look at the jerseys. Most of them have three large pockets across the lower back. A .380 is for running or cycling IMHO. The rest of the time I carry a gun.

Guest KimberChick
Naah I just carry pepper spray for dogs. Just so happens my pepper spray is a .380. If you're ever in a bike shop have a look at the jerseys. Most of them have three large pockets across the lower back. A .380 is for running or cycling IMHO. The rest of the time I carry a gun.

Amen. For small dogs I like a Speedplay cleat to the cranium. I shot a KelTec .380 just to see if I liked it...you know, for larger "dogs" but it wouldn't feed two rounds consecutively. There wasn't a Ruger version available for a little range demo, but I 'm going to try one when I can. The greenway and many of our trails are secluded and run through sketchy areas...sketchy before the trail was even converted from the rail line. Being clipped in makes me feel like more of a sitting duck for some reason. Not sure why.

I have carried my G26 in a pair of Fox Mtn. shorts a few times. :up:

Guest mustangdave

Gotcha...pepper spray is a good one...I used to use diluted ammonia in the second water bottle to ward off dogs...i have a couple cycling jersey's with the pockets...a kel-tec would do nicely for sure

Amen. For small dogs I like a Speedplay cleat to the cranium. I shot a KelTec .380 just to see if I liked it...you know, for larger "dogs" but it wouldn't feed two rounds consecutively. There wasn't a Ruger version available for a little range demo, but I 'm going to try one when I can. The greenway and many of our trails are secluded and run through sketchy areas...sketchy before the trail was even converted from the rail line. Being clipped in makes me feel like more of a sitting duck for some reason. Not sure why.

I have carried my G26 in a pair of Fox Mtn. shorts a few times. :up:

I've carried a G26 when riding alone, overall it's a much better gun (than any pocket .380), but the weight is bothersome on faster rides.

Edited by JReedEsq
Guest TargetShooter84

They drive me crazy when they hog up the road and act like d-bags thinking they're the "macho biker and I have the right to ride in the MIDDLE of the freakin' road".

What gives....if there's like 5-10 cars behind you because you're hogging the road, PULL OFF! You can spare a 5 seconds to let that many cars pass you by and if they throw a soda or something, you deserve it for hogging up the road intentionally.

Edited by TargetShooter84

I see all of this anger over cyclists and think "and people wonder why I carry a gun?".

Maybe I'll forget the bicycle and just continue to drive my F350 dually, at whatever speed and in whichever lane I like. :P

. . . while texting on my cell phone.

Edited by enfield
to add cell phone comment.

Go on a ride along with one of your local cops. You probably won’t want to ride on city streets anymore. People in cars will kill you. They will then tell the cop they didn’t see you or they had the right of way. Your family won’t really care that you had the right of way when some loser kills or seriously injuries you.

A motorcycle is almost as bad, but at least on my motorcycle I have the power to get out of a bad situation.

People can’t drive and they just don’t care if they kill someone. If they did care they wouldn’t be holding up traffic in the left lane while talking on their cell phone.

They drive me crazy when they hog up the road and act like d-bags thinking they're the "macho biker and I have the right to ride in the MIDDLE of the freakin' road".

What gives....if there's like 5-10 cars behind you because you're hogging the road, PULL OFF! You can spare a 5 seconds to let that many cars pass you by and if they throw a soda or something, you deserve it for hogging up the road intentionally.

Are you actually on a public forum encouraging an assault? That's mighty tough of you. Takes a lot of courage to throw something at someone and then drive off like an ignorant coward.

Why would anyone need to own a semi-auto rifle with a 30 round magazine? Why do you need any gun not designed for hunting? The greenways are not everywhere and they can be crowded, slow and they just aren't designed for a fit cyclist. I've got nothing against greenways. I used to incorporate the greenways as a part of my everyday commute and I like to use them to avoid traffic in high traffic areas. Just because they exist doesn't mean cyclists lose the right to use the road.

What it comes down to is that some of you guys just don't like simething because it's unfamiliar to you and makes you uncomfortable. Sound familiar?

Where did I ever say I think you should lose the right to ride on the road because there are greenways?:) I was just asking bike riders why you choose the road over the greenways.

People riding bikes on the road don't make me uncomfortable at all. I could care less where you ride. If you are brave enough to ride out on the roads with some of these nuts driving then more power to you. Sure, I have been a little aggravated by some guy holding up traffic on his bike but I just wait my turn and go around them. It hasn't ever really been a big deal to me.;)

Where did I ever say I think you should lose the right to ride on the road because there are greenways?:) I was just asking bike riders why you choose the road over the greenways.

People riding bikes on the road don't make me uncomfortable at all. I could care less where you ride. If you are brave enough to ride out on the roads with some of these nuts driving then more power to you. Sure, I have been a little aggravated by some guy holding up traffic on his bike but I just wait my turn and go around them. It hasn't ever really been a big deal to me.;)

Sorry Jason. It seems some of the other folks here were implying that cyclists shouldn't be on the road and I attributed that feeling to you. I do hope that some of the other posts have explained why greenways and especially sidewalks aren't always the best place for cyclists. For some reason there are people out there who feel they have the right to threaten, harrass, intimidate or assault people because they wear funny clothes or cause an inconvienence. I can definitely be reasoned with, and I try to see both sides of issues, but I've just never been the type of person who responds well to intimidation. It's especially ironic for someone to say that cyclists are on a power trip when the accuser is only big and bad when they are in a car and can convienently drive off.

Edited by JReedEsq
Guest TargetShooter84
Are you actually on a public forum encouraging an assault? That's mighty tough of you. Takes a lot of courage to throw something at someone and then drive off like an ignorant coward.

No, I'm not promoting assault...I was just saying someone needs to tell them that they do have the right to share the road but don't be a intentional a-hole by hogging up the middle of the road because this is what would likely happen to you if you piss off a wrong person.

I know better than that, I don't need any drama...sure, I may honk the horn which I have few times before but that's the extent of it.

Never was my intentions to send a encouraging message to cause bodily harm to anyone, was just simply stating a likely scenario but seriously, it would be nice if they would be courteous to pull off and let others pass.

Edited by TargetShooter84
No, I'm not promoting assault...I was just saying someone needs to tell them that they do have the right to share the road but don't be a intentional a-hole by hogging up the middle of the road because this is what would likely happen to you if you piss off a wrong person.

I know better than that, I don't need any drama...sure, I may honk the horn which I have few times before but that's the extent of it.

Never was my intentions to send a encouraging message to cause bodily harm to anyone, was just simply stating a likely scenario but seriously, it would be nice if they would be courteous to pull off and let others pass.

If you read any of my earlier posts, you'll see that I don't think it's ok to intentionally block traffic. Of course that's a rude thing to do. Here's the thing though; sometimes drivers don't realize there may be glass, debris or a rumble strip that creates a safety hazard for the cyclist that you aren't aware of. Second, you probably don't throw bottles at other people who irritate you on the road, so why should you say "they deserve it", just because they are on a bike?

I'd rather be stuck behind a bike doing 20 than a soccer mom in a huge suv doing 30 talking on the phone while putting on her makeup. I live just 3miles from work but it seems every morning I see an almost wreck from someone weaving or running a light or pulling out in front of traffic.

Guest mosinon

I used to ride a lot. When I moved to TN I kind of gave it up. Not that the drivers are any more jerky than where I used to live (Columbia, Mo) but there are fewer bike lanes. Fewer bike lanes means more Mountain Dew bottles whipped at my head and I got tired of that.

Some oddness, when I lived in MO people never, ever threw Mountain Dew at me. It was mostly a Coke type of town with some Pepsi mixed in.

When I lived in Florida no one ever threw anything at me at all. But the roads were wide, bike lanes common and a lot of people rode bikes. I think the terrain plays a factor, Florida was flat, much like a brain scan of me, so it was really easy to ride a bike. In Columbia and in Knoxville there are a lot of hills, hills take something that is relatively easy and fun to do when on a flat surface and turn it into exercise. Who the hell wants that?