HCP limited to a particular weapon?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to take a safety course and get my HCP but not if it limits me to a particular weapon. Does the HCP limit you to the weapon you shoot during the range part of the course?

Nope. Any legal handgun is fine for carry and for the class. They do not have to be the same one.

Guest gw2and4
Nope. Any legal handgun is fine for carry and for the class. They do not have to be the same one.

+1 to this. For carry or for the class, you're good with any handgun that you legally possess.

Sent from my iPhone 4

Guest bkelm18
So even if it did limit you to what you could carry, is not carrying or carrying illegally a better option?

+1. I'd rather be able to legally carry one specific firearm than nothing at all.

Guest cheez

Years ago when the Tennessee HCP was several hundred dollars they did limit you to carry only the gun you qualified with. That has been changed now for several years. The HCP is much cheaper and you can carry whatever legal gun you want.

I think some states do limit you to carrying what you have qualified with. My understanding is that, in some states, if you want to carry different firearms you have to qualify with each of them and have them added to your permit. TN has no such requirement.

So even if it did limit you to what you could carry, is not carrying or carrying illegally a better option?

For a while, I was under the misconception that I had to "declare" what handgun I was going to carry (including SN) and at the time, my only handgun I owned was my first handgun purchased in 1975...a gun I would never want to carry nor will I ever sell it (both because of its actual value and its personal worth to me)...that kept me from taking the permit class for a while until I finally realized I was wrong (although by that time I had already purchased a carry weapon anyway). :D

Good point. Some guy (from BAMA) told me I had to carry the gun I qualified with. I'm glad to find that is false information.

Rather than start another thread, I'd like to ask another question regarding Class III. If I own a suppressor, am I the only person allowed to use the suppressor? Let's say I take my suppressed weapon to a range and someone asks to shoot it. Is it illegal for me to let them?

Good point. Some guy (from BAMA) told me I had to carry the gun I qualified with. I'm glad to find that is false information.

Rather than start another thread, I'd like to ask another question regarding Class III. If I own a suppressor, am I the only person allowed to use the suppressor? Let's say I take my suppressed weapon to a range and someone asks to shoot it. Is it illegal for me to let them?

I believe (but please check me out on this) that you can let someone else use it so long as you are right there with them. Again...there is a section here on just those sorts of questions and it would worth posting your question there for a much more educated answer than I can give. :)

Check with the school as some do not allow you to use a 22 cal for the range portion. Guess they want you to shoot a higher caliber since that would probably be what you'd carry. Better understanding of hand control, recoil, etc, I guess. It's legal since the state only sets the mini9mum standards.

I've heard of folks doing the shoot qualifier part of the HCP class (with all the guns they may carry) as a CYA against some dbag prosecutor.

Never understood that logic.

If it's a good shoot and perp was stopped, obviously you were competent with your weapon regardless of weapon training.

If it's a bad shoot in that you didn't have justification to do it, doesn't matter what weapon was used or degree of training with it.

If you were justified and it goes bad and you hit a bystander, shows you weren't competent, regardless of weapon training.

- OS

I've heard of folks doing the shoot qualifier part of the HCP class (with all the guns they may carry) as a CYA against some dbag prosecutor.

That was done before....

But a law change a couple of years ago now prohibits the school from recording any information about the gun you use. So there is no record of what type/caliber/etc... gun you used in the class.

So don't see any real reason for it now.

Guest TN_Mike

RangeUSA in Memphis used to recommend that you qualify with any and all guns you might carry just for liability reasons. I don't know if they still do this after the law change that Fallguy mentioned but I never saw a real reason to do it at all.

I think the thought behind the CYA idea is that some prosecutor is going to try to ask if you qualified for the HCP with "that gun" and he'll try to make hay out of it if you say no. Kind of a stretch IMO.

The automobile I used to obtain a drivers license is different than the one I now drive. DPS doen't have any record of the automobile or pistol used in obtaining a permit.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tommy62

Guy in my class had a Raven .25. I asked him if I could borrow it to light my cigarette. He said yeah if I didn't mind the short burst of flame. Serves me right for being a smart a**,