Does it bother you when asked for ID?

Erik88

Does it bother you when asked to show your ID?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Does it bother you when asked to show your ID?

• yes- my gray hair should work as ID
    • No-I realize people are just doing their job

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when I turned 21. The first place I went was to the liquor store in Mount Pleasant,TN. The guy never carded me until I asked him to. He said happy birthday and the total. I don't mind getting carded it's their job to do it.

I didn't read all the post so this may have been said.....I know a bit late to the party.

AFAIK the Universal ID law required everyong to be IDed that was purchasing alcohol for off-site consumption. It never requried everyone to show ID in a restaraunt. Also the law had a sunset on it....I'm pretty sure that sunset came and went without the law being extended...so what ever the laws was...it is no more.

I will look and see what I can find.

Ok here it is....

It was the "Responsiable Vendor Act", SB3316 that passed in 2006 and became Public Chapter 864 http://state.tn.us/sos/acts/104/pub/pc0864.pdf

Section 12 of the above required EVERYONE to show id before the purcrhase of alcohol for "off-site" consumption. It also says that provision will sunset on July 1, 2008

So in April of 2008 SB2938 was passed and became Public Chapter 877 http://state.tn.us/sos/acts/105/pub/pc0877.pdf in which Section 3 said it is an exception to any criminal or administrative punishment if ID was not required from someone who reasonablly appeard to be over the age of 50.

The 50 year old rule is the current law 57-5-301(a)(1) http://www.michie.com/tennessee/ and still only applies to the "off-site" consumption sales.

Edited by Fallguy
Guest ForPointSix

I work at a Beer only bar, and it is up to the bartender if they want to ID or not. If you look over 21 to me, I will not ID you. If its ??? if you are over 21, then I will ask for ID.

Yes When I am doing a FTF trade..............................................

Me too...

Yes When I am doing a FTF trade..............................................

Why? I ask to see it for state of residence no matter how old you are. It’s on me if you are not a Tennessee resident. I’ve never had someone under age try to buy a gun from me, but I have had an out of state resident try to meet for a FTF.

Why? I ask to see it for state of residence no matter how old you are. It’s on me if you are not a Tennessee resident. I’ve never had someone under age try to buy a gun from me, but I have had an out of state resident try to meet for a FTF.

+1

me too, I mean Im not writing down your DL number, height, weight, and eye color. I just want proof your a TN resident.

Erik, if a store asks for ANY info just tell them "I dont give that out". My wife says it everytime at VS, J Crew etc. They use it to send junk mail and sale notices to you in the mail.

PS it doesnt bother me to show ID, sometimes I wonder if they actually look at the DOB, usually just a fast glance and thats it.

No really.

However as I went out with some friend at work the other night as a place I normally would not go.

I wont' say the place as I don't want to give them free advertising.

I walked in, they wanted to ofter me a table I said I was looking for some friends from work. She acted like she knew who I was looking for and started to lead me off in one direction saying something about some people over here. Anyways I spotted my friends. I went over and pulled up a chair. Girl came up to me to take my order and when she carded me I just joked and said I am probably the oldest person at this table. Turned out was talked about it waiting on my drink, I was by 2 years.

It is a nusiance, but really doesn't bother me. What really bothers me is when the hot young lady in reception holds the door open for men and calls me "Sir" Yeah I know it's to be polite and all, but dang, it makes fe feel really old.

Guest Field Boss

I agree, here I am over 60 yrs of age and then I am lied to, saying it is a state law. If it is the bussiness policy that is their right. And without being mean or making a scene, I thank the server and leave.

I agree, here I am over 60 yrs of age and then I am lied to, saying it is a state law. If it is the bussiness policy that is their right. And without being mean or making a scene, I thank the server and leave.

That is the issue I guess, is there a law or is it policy. Since I have never worked in that line of work I don't know.

If it is policy and they are pretending it is law then I would have issue with it.

Last night I went to a pub I go to often enough they know me and I was not ask, however the first time that girl saw me over a year ago she did check me. It was funny after she checked me, the both owners and the manager came over and talked with me for a few minutes and I was on good terms with them.

Guest KCSTEVE

It was at an Atlanta Braves game and I was carded.

The second round I flipped open my wallet without paying attention and the girl said "NRA card, that works for me!"

We had a good laugh over that.

yea i noticed that, but didn't feel like arguing. I must still be sick.

Well of course a place can set any policy they want.

I just hate if they have done it based on what they think the law is instead of what it actually is.