Running Boar 10/22 with Mueller Quick Shot

graycrait

I think I got this one just about right, still deciding if the hard stock is better than the soft Hogue stock on this one. Trigger group includes Volquartsen, Tactical Solutions and Harrington to get to a clean 2.5lb trigger. Barrel is by Green Mountain.

The Mueller ain't bad. The 3MOA dot is crisp and the other reticles work well and stay zeroed when you change from one reticle to another. http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MQS12233MB

The Green Mountain Running Boar barrel is nice for moving targets. This my second one of these barrels and I let the first one get away.

Green Mountain Barrel Company Offers Running Boar Target Barrels For Target Rifles

RunningBoar1022wMuellerQuickShot.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish you'd stop with the 22 builds. You are killing me. I just bought a new Ruger 22/45 with the threaded barrel and a cheap Sig optic. Going to play with it first, then try to as some good parts. And getting it together for a starter effort on a can. It'll be my first NFA deal. I hope I survive.

And looks like another really shapr build that you did.

Edited by hipower

This one is giving me fits. It has a threaded aluminum shrouded Lothar Walther barrel with CCI specific chamber, along with a after market bolt, after market trigger group and recoil spring. What I have learned on this one is to never limit your ammo choices to one brand although with 5,000 rds of CCI of various types and speeds it doesn't matter. I think a person is either better off in going Volquartsen drop in parts in a metal Ruger trigger housing or else get something like a Timiney drop in trigger group that is a one-piece drop in. I'm fooling around with the Boyd's barrel a friend gave me, but I may go back to a hard Hogue overmolded. One thing I think I have learned is that at 50 yards minute of squirrel head is good enough and at 100 yards minute of Coke can is just fine. Therefore save your money and don't do what I have done. If you want a bench rest .22 buy one, if you want a decent and versatile field .22 the Remington 552 would be hard to beat as it will digest any .22 ammo. If I would quit buying parts and get a suppressor this 10/22 with the threaded barrel may really prove useful as well as fun. I've been carving on the grip with a Foredom tool trying to improve LOP between web of thumb to index finger pad on the trigger.

highdollar1022.jpg

Guest Broomhead

Both are very nice looking builds.

I have heard that the Hogue over-molded stocks can flex pretty significantly. Especially if you are planning on using your sling for more than carrying the rifle. Like I said, I have no experience with Hogue stocks; I have heard this, though, several times on RimFire Central and through Appleseed.

How well does the trigger group in the first rifle pictured perform? I am just curious because I had also heard that trigger groups with parts from varying manufacturers can have hiccups. Again, never experienced this because I use OEM parts and modify/trick-out/accurize them myself. Even my accurized OEM parts have hiccups every now and then. An example, my first trigger job that I performed by modifying the hammer slightly and polishing the contact points was perfect. I don't have a trigger pull gauge, but if I had to guess I'd say it went from a stock 6 - 8lbs down to about a 2.5 - 3.5lbs. On my second trigger job, I tried to improve on the technique that I used the first time. This time I modified the hammer, sear, and polished the contact points. I ended up with a rifle that had a 1 - 2lbs pull. The problem was that just after the mods it would fire 2 - 4rds with each trigger pull. A day or two later it had become a magazine-fed, bolt-action rifle due to the sear not catching the hammer enough to keep it cocked back. Live and learn I guess.

Barring buying a Power Custom sear/hammer honing jig I think the pins make a big difference also. What I am wondering is if the hole size or placement are off enough between generations or types, like plastic vs metal, of the trigger housings to cause issues. I suppose it would be best to mark my best homemade trigger parts, and put them throughout my other trigger housings.