Tennessee Bills Prohibit Hunting on Private Lands

The following is from U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance.

Companion bills recently introduced in Tennessee could shut down hunting on large amounts of private land.

House bill 2110, introduced by Representative Gary Odom (D- Nashville), and Senate bill 2028, introduced by Senator Beverly Marrero (D- Memphis), would prohibit hunting on public or private land within 100 yards of a dwelling without first obtaining permission from the owner of the dwelling.

You can read the entire post here:

U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance

This needs to be defeated. :)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jcochran88

It is the law, but you can get around this law currently if you have permission from the building owner to hunt there. I really think this will impact the bow hunters that hunt inside the city more than gun hunters but either way we need to stop it.

Guest Jcochran88
I missed something, why does this need to be defeated? Looks like you just have to have permission to hunt on someone's land, which should be the case anyway. Im sure there is more to it, but I am not seeing it right off.

That is the law now. The new law would remove the permission part.

I believe that's already law.
It is the law, but you can get around this law currently if you have permission from the building owner to hunt there. I really think this will impact the bow hunters that hunt inside the city more than gun hunters but either way we need to stop it.
I missed something, why does this need to be defeated? Looks like you just have to have permission to hunt on someone's land, which should be the case anyway. Im sure there is more to it, but I am not seeing it right off.

In the current law the 100 yards only applies to when you are hunting on public property. If you are hunting on public property you can not hunt within 100 yards of a dwelling without the owners permission. Also, under the current law, you can hunt on your own property no matter how close your are to your neighbors house as long as you are on your own property.

This new law says you can not hunt on your own property if you are within 100 yards of a dwelling. So if my neighbor builds his house 5 ft from the property line then I can not hunt on my property for the first hundred yards without my neighbors permission. It is asinine to have to ask a neighbor for permission to hunt on my own property.

If you have neighbors on three sides that do not give permission, you could lose hunting rights to a big portion of your own property.

Edited by KahrMan

I think I know where this came from. a group out off nolensville rd made a MTB trail after receiving permission from the land owner. while out they noticed a treestand and on several occasions have seen hunters. they spoke with one and he had permission from the prior landowner. this is right beside two large housing areas. the hunters are supposedly using rifles as well. I'll try to find the post. I am on my phone though.

Guest adamoxtwo
I think I know where this came from. a group out off nolensville rd made a MTB trail after receiving permission from the land owner.

Call me old fashion but are you not suppose to check prior to every season with the land owner to see if the permission is still granted? And isn't there a Form you are suppose to have? I hunt my neighbors property and tried to stay 150 yards away a dwelling. Now I have more options!!!

I understand the saftey especially in the Clarksville area which is growing very rapidly and sections of homes are popping up everywhere! My woods are about to become a new sub division. I'm not all too happy about that.

Memphis democrat politicians usually offer nothing good but take a lot. They are like a disease (take your pick) that you can't get rid of.

Get permission from my other property owners to hunt on your own property because a house is within 100 yards of where you hunt? That is a JOKE. What you want to do on property you own or lease is your own business. This goofy politician is kissing up to the goof balls (liberals and welfare lovers) that she represents in the ghetto.

The 100 yard rule is only when you are hunting on PUBLIC land not private land. If I own enough land to discharge a firearm or hunt on and my neighbor doesn't like it, that is just tough luck. If I want to bow hunt on my land or leased land, again that is none of my neighbor's business.

Guest rhendrix
The following is from U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance.

You can read the entire post here:

U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance

This needs to be defeated. ;)

This has been a law for quite awhile now. You would have to get it repealed but you can't stop it once it is on the books. The big problem I have with it is that where I hunt, Cherokee Nat'l Forrest, there are cabins on Paint Creek and no one is ever there in the winter time during deer season but according to the law I still can't hunt within 100 yards. Don't think there is anyone there to complain but if a game warden ever caught me, I am sure I would still be fined and probably lose my gun.