Brass Catcher for AR

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I want one for a possible upcoming training course. While I will be paying to be there, it's a bit much to ask for them to that accommodating. It could also interfere with others. I either have to find a useable catcher or accept that I may not make it home with all my brass :)

The thing to do at a training course is shoot cheap, steel case ammo and let it lie. There is not enough time to be worrying about brass.

The last thing I want to do is start another long winded pointless debate over an un-resolvable issue. Suffice to say I don't, won't and never have put steel cased ammo in my AR's. You do spawn a reasonable solution and that's to just shoot all the mixed headstamp plinking brass I have stored. Use and and let it lie. I suppose worrying about the brass could/would distract me from paying attention to every detail.

Like I said, I don't want a debate over steel cased stuff and AR extractors, BUT my biggest beef with ANY steel cased stuff is It's too light. 99% of it is 55g. No thanks. I shed all my 55g stuff a few years ago along with the slower twist barrels. My main rifle is a 1/7 and I use a 75g HPBT. I've been really surprised at the difference. Maybe it's all in my head?

One thing about it, if I'm going to go to the time and expense of getting professional training, I'm thinking I should train with what I plan to utilize in the future. Besides, I keep piling this crap up, I should use some of it. I'm a diehard reloader though. I cringe at the thought of all that glorious brass on the ground.

I've got one of the UTG brass catchers that Garufa linked to. A gentleman here set me up with it a while back. It works okay, but the weight of the brass quickly causes it to rotate downward, then the brass just goes over the mouth of it. The most effective way to use it seems to be to unzip the bottom so the brass falls out. You still have to pick it up, but as long as you arent moving around it's all in a nice pile by your feet, instead of thrown several feet away.

I feel your pain leaving the brass laying, but I would do just that in a training class. The whole point is learning to use your weapon to stay alive, you need to be focused on learning and just chalk the cost of the brass up to being part of the deal. The instructors may not allow you to use a brass catcher on your rifle, anyway. Train like you fight probably wouldn't involve a brass catcher.

If you shoot the brass ammo, I'd forget about keeping the brass and focus on the class. They may let you pick it up afterwards, but it's not really that big of a deal. If you shoot 2,000 rounds, that's like $20-30 worth of brass? Not worth a lot of worry, considering the cost of most training classes.

I've got one of the UTG brass catchers that Garufa linked to. A gentleman here set me up with it a while back. It works okay, but the weight of the brass quickly causes it to rotate downward, then the brass just goes over the mouth of it. The most effective way to use it seems to be to unzip the bottom so the brass falls out. You still have to pick it up, but as long as you arent moving around it's all in a nice pile by your feet, instead of thrown several feet away.

I feel your pain leaving the brass laying, but I would do just that in a training class. The whole point is learning to use your weapon to stay alive, you need to be focused on learning and just chalk the cost of the brass up to being part of the deal. The instructors may not allow you to use a brass catcher on your rifle, anyway. Train like you fight probably wouldn't involve a brass catcher.

If you shoot the brass ammo, I'd forget about keeping the brass and focus on the class. They may let you pick it up afterwards, but it's not really that big of a deal. If you shoot 2,000 rounds, that's like $20-30 worth of brass? Not worth a lot of worry, considering the cost of most training classes.

Please let me know where to get 1000 to 2000 pieces of 5.56/223 brass for $20 to $30.

Folks:________________

You may want to take a look at this. A brass deflector. It is inexpensive, well made, unobtrusive, and removable. Link here:TC Accessories Brass Deflector AR-15 A3 Steel Matte - MidwayUSA

TC Accessories Brass Deflector fits Picatinny Rail Steel Matte - MidwayUSA . These will work with a tarp standing up or sitting at the bench.

Hope this helps,

leroy

• Admin Team

Most training classes I've been to have you police the range at the end of the day. Should be ample time to pick up your brass and then some if no one minds.

Also, I could see where a brass catcher might get in the way as you are learning some of the malfunction drills. I would really recommend taking full advantage of the class you're paying for and maybe not worrying too much about the few pieces of brass that get away from you.