HCP Class Study Guide

Guest rt_steve

Guest rt_steve

I bought my wife a LCR over a year ago but she has always found an excuse for not being able to take the HCP class. She finally revealed to me that it is her phobia of tests that is making her put off the class. She is very smart; she has a Master's degree with a 4.0 GPA, but she does not like going into test situations unprepared. I have tried to convince her that she has nothing to worry about but she is still nervous. Does anyone have an outline of subjects covered in the class? I AM NOT LOOKING FOR TEST QUESTIONS!! If she is given the opportunity to study in advance she will go into the class as knowledgeable on the material as the instructor.

Again this post is not a solicitation of test questions but rather a request for topics covered in the class. It has been quite a while since I took mine and I don't remember much.

Also, I remember the shooting distances were from 3-15 yards but if anyone knows the number of shots taken from each distance so we can recreate her shooting test before that would be great!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nicemac
I bought my wife a LCR over a year ago but she has always found an excuse for not being able to take the HCP class. She finally revealed to me that it is her phobia of tests that is making her put off the class. She is very smart; she has a Master's degree with a 4.0 GPA, but she does not like going into test situations unprepared. I have tried to convince her that she has nothing to worry about but she is still nervous. Does anyone have an outline of subjects covered in the class? I AM NOT LOOKING FOR TEST QUESTIONS!! If she is given the opportunity to study in advance she will go into the class as knowledgeable on the material as the instructor.

Again this post is not a solicitation of test questions but rather a request for topics covered in the class. It has been quite a while since I took mine and I don't remember much.

Also, I remember the shooting distances were from 3-15 yards but if anyone knows the number of shots taken from each distance so we can recreate her shooting test before that would be great!

I don't think it is possible to fail this test. Has anyone ever heard of anyone failing the written test?

The range test is 12 rounds at 3 yards, 12 rounds at 7 yards, and 24 rounds at 25 yards. You have to put 35 out of the 48(our instructor gave us 50) ANYWHERE ON A MAN-SIZED SILHOUETTE. My wife (who hadn't shot in years before the test) put 34 of 50 in the center bullseye.

Edited by nicemac

I'd call where you plan to have her take the test and ask them what distances they use for the shooting test, I'm pretty sure the number of shots from each distance is left up to the instructor. The total number of shots required by the state is 48, but most instructors I know have you use an entire box of ammo.

The instructor I know use this sequence of shots (but again I'm pretty sure it's up to the instructor)

3 yards - 12 rounds

7 yards - 12 rounds

15 yards - 6 rounds

7 yards - 6 rounds

3 yards - 12 rounds

As for the test questions, first I'd reminder her it's an open note multiple choice test, that is designed for anybody with an 8th grade education to pass. That less than 1% of the population who attempts the course fails...

But some subjects to go over:

1. Identify different types of revolver frames from a silhouette

2. Difference between semi automatic and revolver pistol silhouette

3. The requirements to get a handgun permit in TN

4. The differences between a clip and a magazine

I'm sure others will give you good ideas... truth is they cover all the information in the class, every instructor I knows allows you to take notes, allows you to use those notes during the test, and has some method to indicate which parts are on the test as he goes over them. The instructor has a vested interest in making sure everybody who takes his class who can, passes the test, which means the pass rates are almost always 100%....

Your wife would do fine to just show up and take the class the hard part will be spending 5+ hours watching out of date TDOS videos and trying to not fall asleep :tough: She won't have any problem writing down the test answers as the instructor goes over them, and then picking the correct true/false or a,b,c,d answer right after the class.

Edited by JayC

I think every instructor has their own shooting distance and sequences. Mine was 12 rounds at 3 yards, 12 rounds at 10 yards, 12 rounds at 15 yards and 12 yards at whatever distance we chose. All shots were in 6 round strings. Had to score 34 hits anywhere in the black on the silhouette. The instructor gave the answers to the written test as she was presenting the course. She would make a point and say "remember this it will be on the test". No need for study unless you have zero short term memory.

Man, I hope she is a great shot! You could not have picked a more difficult gun for her to qualify with. I love my LCR but it would be last on my list of guns to use at the class. You may want to consider renting her something different that way she doesn't fail the shooting test. I'm not saying your wife is incapable at all, hell she could be a great shot for all I know. I'm just saying that the LCR is meant to be shot at very short distances.

The written part of my test covered things like "identify the parts of a revolver/semi auto" I was a complete newb when I took the test and did just fine. It's really easy.

She will have absolutely no problems passing unless her nerves cause her to hold the gun backwards. No kidding. The written portion of the test is about equivalent to remembering "do you want fries with that". And, the shooting portion, well you could just about throw rocks and pass. Needless to say, I feel that the HCP course is a joke. The course is basically a formality to appease the anti gun folks while capturing a few dollars for the state. However, it will make a person legal and that's about the only reason worth wasting a person's time and money on it.

If she finished her Master's with a 4.0 she could probably not even take the class and guess well enough to pass the test. It's really written for the lowest common denominator among us and is intentionally very easy to pass. It's so simple that if I ever met anyone that failed it I'm afraid I would have to point and laugh. It's that easy.

Guest nicemac

We DID have a guy that got kicked out of our class during the range test for unsafely handling his gun– for the third time that day. This was at ASP in Joelton two years ago. The instructor had disarmed the guy during the lecture after twice swinging his weapon around recklessly during a break.

When he gave it back to him for the range, he swung around with it once again and carelessly pointed it toward the instructor. The instructor took him down, literally, to the ground. He took the gun from him and told him he was done and NOT to come back.

I'll echo what's already been said. The test is a piece of cake. If you're at least semi conscious through the class, you should be able to pass the test. Much of it is common sense. The goal should not be to just pass the test. Get something out of it. Her life and future could depend on it.

I can't speak for all classes but my wife and I took ours at the Knox County Sheriff's range. The classroom portion was a full 8 hours followed by the range time. Overall, it was 12 hours well spent. 7AM to 7PM. The class was excellent and we got a lot of good information directly from a LEO. I've heard of other classes that just go through the motions. If you're spending the time and money, attend a class that will actually provide some useful information. Even if it means driving a ways. The course should not be "a joke" as mentioned earlier. If it is, you took the wrong course.

Guest rt_steve
Man, I hope she is a great shot! You could not have picked a more difficult gun for her to qualify with. I love my LCR but it would be last on my list of guns to use at the class. You may want to consider renting her something different that way she doesn't fail the shooting test. I'm not saying your wife is incapable at all, hell she could be a great shot for all I know. I'm just saying that the LCR is meant to be shot at very short distances.

I have several handguns she could choose from but she prefers her LCR. It's almost all she uses at the range since it will be what she will carry if and when she takes the class.

It is actually quite an accurate gun when you have time to slow down your mechanics. I took it to a junk range this past Saturday and towards the end of the day I set a gallon juice bottle full of water at 50 yards and put 3 out of my 5 shots in the bottle. In a life or death situation it would be difficult to be accurate due to the long hard trigger, but 1.) in that case it will most likely be so close that it doesn't matter and 2.) most of us in a life or death situation would struggle to be accurate at a significant distance with any handgun.

I'm sure that is the firearm she will take and I'm fairly sure she won't miss with it. Like I previously stated, We will probably set up a mock qualifying course for her to shoot before she takes it; not because I think she needs it but because she is the queen of preparation.

I think every instructor has their own shooting distance ...

No, most of it is determined by TNDOS.

"The handgun firing qualification shall, as a minimum, include the course of fire specified by the Department"...

Unless it has changed in last couple years, that's 12 rounds at 3,7,15 yards, and 12 rounds at instructor discretion.

- OS

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

"The handgun firing qualification shall, as a minimum, include the course of fire specified by the Department"...

Unless it has changed in last couple years, that's 12 rounds at 3,7,15 yards, and 12 rounds at instructor discretion.

- OS

Sounds about right. I think my instructor discretion distance was 3 yards. Such a joke. Had plenty of people in the class who had never fired a handgun before - not one came even close to failing.

As for the test questions, the answers will be repeated over and over again by your instructor. There may be posters on the wall with the answers to some or all of the questions. She will still have her course packet with her when she takes the test... and that packet contains all the answers. There is basically no way to fail unless you cannot read or understand spoken English or you do not want to pass.

Questions cover the physical components of revolvers and semi-autos, safe gun handling, basic requirements to shoot in self defense, etc. Nothing to get worked up about.

In the class I took, the instructor read through out loud to us after passing out the test the questions on the test and everyone pitched in an answer based on the multiple choice questions he read. So we all pretty much knew what the answer was. Not the way I would have thought someone would have done. But as others have said, if you listen to what the instructor says he will cover everything that needs to be answered on the test. The guy beside me missed like 5 and still passed.

I have to ask a question. Did your wife do well with courses where she had to listen to the instructor, instead of doing outside reading? IF so, this should be a NO BRAINER for her. Advise her to take notes as the instructor teaches, as this reinforces the memory.

Seriously, she has nothing to worry about.

As a side note, I do wish the State would give out official handbooks on Carry Permit rules and regulations, like they do with Driver's Licenses.

As a side note, I do wish the State would give out official handbooks on Carry Permit rules and regulations, like they do with Driver's Licenses.

This probably isn't exactly what you're talking about but there is this.... http://www.tennessee.gov/sos/rules/1340/1340-02/1340-02-03.pdf

Also it looks like the state has added a new video to their main Handgun Permit webpage Handgun Carry Permits

I have several handguns she could choose from but she prefers her LCR. It's almost all she uses at the range since it will be what she will carry if and when she takes the class.

It is actually quite an accurate gun when you have time to slow down your mechanics. I took it to a junk range this past Saturday and towards the end of the day I set a gallon juice bottle full of water at 50 yards and put 3 out of my 5 shots in the bottle. In a life or death situation it would be difficult to be accurate due to the long hard trigger, but 1.) in that case it will most likely be so close that it doesn't matter and 2.) most of us in a life or death situation would struggle to be accurate at a significant distance with any handgun.

I'm sure that is the firearm she will take and I'm fairly sure she won't miss with it. Like I previously stated, We will probably set up a mock qualifying course for her to shoot before she takes it; not because I think she needs it but because she is the queen of preparation.

I have never seen anything that contradicts these statements. I have seen video of cops fighting for their lives who have emptied their guns at perps less than 5 feet away and missed every shot. Of course I have seen excellent shots from much greater distances as well. You can only train as well as you can and hope that it works out for you really.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
The guy beside me missed like 5 and still passed.

I believe you only need a 70% on each the written and shooting portions. Don't remember how many questions there were. Maybe 20? 30? Missing 5 out of 20 would give you a 75%, so he could have missed a couple more before failing. Of course, I'm not sure how you miss any considering your instructor's approach, so maybe we should have hoped he missed enough to fail... Not sure I want someone that dense deciding whether or not to pull a gun.

Edited by BenderBendingRodriguez
I was told there would be no math
I believe you only need a 70% on each the written and shooting portions. Don't remember how many questions there were. Maybe 20? 30? Missing 5 out of 20 would give you an 80%, so he could have missed a couple more and still been safe. Of course, I'm not sure how you miss any considering your instructor's approach, so maybe we should have hoped he missed enough to fail... Not sure I want someone that dense deciding whether or not to pull a gun.

Exactly what I thought!! I remember him, and a few others who were only concerned about how they could shoot someone and it not be a conviction. They asked more questions along those lines than anyone else asked about the entire class. It's a sad thing that some people get a HCP only to feel like they are going to go right out and find a situation where they can use their weapon. I hope and pray that I NEVER have to use my weapon, EVER. It's no fun taking a human life.

- OS

Then I suppose all these folks that post different shooting distances like the poster who said his course had 25 yds at different classes must be lying. Could be I guess.

Then I suppose all these folks that post different shooting distances like the poster who said his course had 25 yds at different classes must be lying. Could be I guess.

I'd suggest they are likely "approximating" from memory.

TNDOS publishes the curriculum and shooting qualification and gives it to the certified schools, but it's not online, so I can't "prove" it.

However, anyone who runs an HCP school could post here and verify what the official material states.

Of course, I can't prove each school is run according to TNDOS requirements either ... certainly there are some that don't adhere to the 8 hour requirement for example.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Not necessarly, that may have been the 12 rounds of instructors choice.

When I took the class we did 12 rounds weak hand at 3 yards. But every instructor is diffirent.

When I took the class we did 12 rounds weak hand at 3 yards. But every instructor is diffirent.

Correct. The "instructors choice" rounds can be up to 25yds. At least that's what I was told by a current instructor.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

This was my original point exactly.