Fun Thread! What is your favorite "cool" song?

Punisher84

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes: I have courage enough now to say...."Safety Dance". ;)

We can dance if we want to. We can leave your friends behind. Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance, then they're no friends of mine.

Men Without Hats. Classic. I hated that song when it first came out, but I like it now. I heard it the other day on XM and caught myself singing along.

I just hope nobody mentions "Mickey" by Toni Basil. I hated then and I still hate it.

"Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show

"Straight to Hell" by Drivin n Cryin

"Straight to Hell" was at the top of my list for a long time. The only reason it isn't, now, is because I played it so much I almost made myself tired of it.

I really like Old Crow and got to see them perform at the little outdoor ampitheater in the Municipal Park in Loudon. They opened for The Del McCoury Band. The Parks and Recreation folks were getting some pretty well known acts for a while (at various times, Ricky Skaggs, Charlie Daniels and so on.) Not quite sure what happened but they don't have any concerts to speak of at all there, now.

It is impossible to say what my favorite song is, so here are my favorites in different genres:

Classic Rock: Peace of Mind - Boston

Grunge: Smells like Teen Spirit - Nirvana or Yellow Ledbetter - Pearl Jam

Sixties: (This is a tough one) Gimme Some Lovin' - Spencer David Group, Ride My See Saw - Moody Blues, Good Vibrations - Beach Boys

Seventies: Young Lust or Comfortably Numb or some other Pink Floyd song

Eighties: Red Skies - The Fixx

Nineties: Lit Up - Buck Cherry

2000: Numb - Linkin Park

R&B: Uptight - Stevie Wonder

Rap: The Message - Grandmaster Flash (very old school)

Jazz: Give it One - Maynard Ferguson

Classical: Scheherazade - Rimsky - Korsakov

Dance: Come Into My World - Kylie Minogue

Country: Looking For Love n All The Wrong Places - Johnny Lee (gotta get my Urban Cowboy on)

Smooth Jazz: Ever Since We Met - Chris Botti

New Age: Only Time - Enya

Non-English speaking music: Du Hast - Rammstein

Hard Rock: Unchained - Van Halen

Glam Rock (Hair Bands): Turn Up The Radio - Autograph

British Metal: You Got Another Thing Comin' - Judas Priest

Metal: Anything pre-Load Metallica

Southern Rock: Flirtin' With Disaster - Molly Hatchet

:D I have courage enough now to say...."Safety Dance". :D

I saw Men Without Hats at the Grand Ole Opry in the early to mid 80's Great concert.

One of my favorites...

That's a Lie by Paul Thorn That's a lie, I didn't sleep with your woman, we stayed awake all night...:D

Guest Lester Weevils

Geez Mav. If dragging classical into the mix, Mendelssohn had some toe-tappers. Concerto in Em rocks. The third movement mostly stays in overdrive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV02oMa8FdQ

Re blues with funny lyrics, everybody has to do one. I recorded one years ago with some buddies. It is a first demo that doesn't 100 percent lay in the groove, but gets across the basic idea.

http://www.errnum.com/MP3Files/Stinky%20-%20MikroDotz.mp3

Human Cannonball by Webb Wilder...Baby Don't go aint too bad either

Webb Wilder played a show at UT when I was attending there. 'Baby, Please Don't Go' was one of the songs they played and Wilder mentioned that Big Joe Williams did the original (I later discovered that there were actually two, different blues singers named Joe Williams.) I liked it so much I went looking for the original. All this was before you could just look up a song on the Internet but I finally found it a few years later (really cool and simple, old blues sound - complete with someone playing the washboard.) Along the way, though, I picked up a Van Morrison 'Greatest Hits' album with 'Baby, Please Don't Go' on it (the band 'Them' covered it when Van Morrison was their lead singer.) That album made me realize how great a singer Van Morrison really is. Of all the various versions of 'Baby, Please Don't Go' that I have heard, I think the Van Morrison/Them cover is the best.

AC/DC also did a cover of 'Baby, Please Don't Go' on their EP entitled '74 Jailbreak. I've never seen that album for sale but a buddy of mine has (or at least once had) it on vinyl and he let me hear their version one day. I liked it, too - had that classic, early '70s AC/DC sound.

Edited by JAB
We can dance if we want to. We can leave your friends behind. Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance, then they're no friends of mine.

Men Without Hats. Classic. I hated that song when it first came out, but I like it now. I heard it the other day on XM and caught myself singing along.

I heard this version first:

Human Cannonball by Webb Wilder...Baby Don't go aint too bad either

Webb Wilder is tha man. My favorite tune of his goes all the way back to his first album............Poolside!

Off the top of my head...

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

Numb - Linkin Park

Paradise City - Guns 'N Roses

Bawitdaba - Kid Rock

Love the Way You Lie - Eminem

Simple Man - Shinedown (cover)

In the Air Tonight - Nonpoint (cover)

Bring Me to Life - Evanescence

Down with the Sickness - Disturbed

.45 - Shinedown

Lose Yourself - Eminem

:)

Guest Blown4v

that nonpoint cover is great, as is most of their stuff, bullet with a name on it, double stakked, so many good ones from them

Off the top of my head...

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

Numb - Linkin Park

Paradise City - Guns 'N Roses

Bawitdaba - Kid Rock

Love the Way You Lie - Eminem

Simple Man - Shinedown (cover)

In the Air Tonight - Nonpoint (cover)

Bring Me to Life - Evanescence

Down with the Sickness - Disturbed

.45 - Shinedown

Lose Yourself - Eminem

:)

That's a damn good list. I do believe you could ride in my car and never have to ask to change songs on the ol iPod sir.