Mold your own bullets

Guest mbushell

The biggest problem most face with commercial cast bullets is most are cast too hard and too small. This isn't the fault of the seller most times, but the fault of the buyer in not knowing or taking the time to understand what they need for the application they intend to use them in. Many buy bullets that are undersized because they fail to slug their bore first and then wonder why they lead the bore. Others buy plain based rifle designs then wonder why they don't perform up to expectations when put into their favorite jacketed bullet load. A lot of cast sellers use a single alloy to cast all of their bullets due to economics. This results in 9mm bullets being softer than they need to be for full power applications and 45 ACP being harder than it needs to be for most applications. It is hard to find a single alloy that does its best at 34,000 PSI and 16,000 PSI. If you know the alloy the maker is using, you can judge whether or not that bullet is likely to work for what you want to do with it.

The reason I cast most of mine is simple, I can control the alloy, the size, the lube, and the application they are used for so I get the results I expect.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought some wheel weights at a small local recycling place and got 10 pounds for $3. I know its not dirt cheap, but most of the tire dealers have went to steel weights. One dealer not far from home isn't open much and I've not been able to ask him yet. Is anybody else having a little trouble finding WW?

I bought a .311466 and a .311375 mold today and about 850 .30 cal gas checks. Thanks to Wiljen for the website to identify Lyman molds I found both on there. The .311466 is a 152 gr. and the .311375 is a 168 gr.

Edited by roverboy

Smelted some lead pipes today. That's 99% pure stuff. Got to get going on my new mold tomorrow if the rain holds off. I hope to get a pile of these zombie sledgehammers cast by weeks end.

HEY! Do you guys know what happens to a Zombie when you hit him in face with a Lyman 525g 12g slug?

images.jpg

........The same thing that happens to everything else!

I have been casting for a number of years but I don't cast that often. I try and do a lot of bullets at one time so I don't have to do it as often. I used to team with a buddy but he has gotten too old and doesn't like to cast anymore. I have always done the pistol bullets but lately I have been experimenting with the big bores. I have several different 30, 375 and 45 caliber rifles and soon I want to try some 35 and maybe 32 caliber rifles. One thing I will say is that Accurate 5744 is now my friend.

This is the Hard drive that self destructed and P'ed you off.

HD3.jpg

This is the 525 grain Lyman 12 gauge slug you cast with love and care.

slug.jpg

This is the hard drive that self destructed and P'ed you off when introduced to the 525 grain Lyman 12 gauge slug that you casted with love and care at 1300 feet per second.

HD2.jpg

HD1.jpg

Any questions?

Ok here's a dumb question. What's 5744?

AA5744 Accurate arms powder. Below is stolen from their website.

Accurate 5744 is an extremely fast burning, double-base, extruded powder. This unique powder can be used in a wide range of rifle calibers and magnum handguns. 5744 is characterized by excellent ignition and consistency over a very wide performance range. Low bulky density and superior ignition characteristics make 5744 an excellent choice for reduced loads in many rifle calibers and in large capacity black powder cartridges such as the 45-70 through 45-120 and 50-90 through 50-120. Made in Canada.

20_large.png

i don't know about matches but it sure is satisfying to blast one that has drove you crazy. I used to do PC building and repair. It was a favorite past time.

What was your favorite pass time? Building and repairing or shooting the hell out of them?:D

Guest yardmaster

older hardware stores are great places for lead. look in the plumbing section....that's if you can find and older hardware store...

Guest canebreaker

I got most of my lead when I worked with the railroad. A set of battery lugs from a locomotive were trashed, 40 lbs. per loco. They had a 5/16" brass bolt in 1 side and a brass nut in the other. After ingot casting, about 36# of lead. We used 1/8" 50/50 solider or 1/4" lead solider for landing readings. The lead was saved for pinch-on style sinkers. 50/50 was mixed in with the lugs. Sometimes lucking out at a tire store for a bucket or 2 of wheel weights while talking with the guys. I hand picked 2 buckets of spent boolits from an outdoor gun range. A coffee can of misfires from a range, mostly 22's. Picked up a free 120# box of mixed lead from nashville off of craigslist. And having a son-in-law that is a plumber in memphis. They still find old lead pipes in some buildings. I checked out a scrap dealer years ago. Swapped a truck load of cans for a bucket of flashing. It was .22 per lb. I bought 46.00 worth.