Mold your own bullets

Guest mbushell

Guest mbushell

I have been reloading for a few months now, and I bought a bullet mold even before i got my press. I spend an hour or so once a month and make all the bullets Ill ever need. I go to the mom and pop tire stores and i can buy a bucket of weights for $10. It's around 100lbs of lead. Melting them is easy. Just get any cast iron pot, build a fire in the back yard, and set it in the middle. The impurities burn off or float on the molten lead to be scooped out.

Later, you cut chunks off the ingot you made, and in a smaller pot melt it on a camping stove. Spoon it into the molds (from lee $16). It will take you an hour or so to make 500 bullets. I just finished a batch last night.

Just thought i'd post this to see what others do and think. I cant see the point of reloading if you dont mold for yourself. In the end with scavenged brass and molded bullets they cost me $0.06/rnd to make. If i bought brass,bullets,primers,and powder it would be $0.26/rnd. You can buy walmart ammo for $0.33...Big difference. I guess some folks dont have to worry about money, and just like to do it. I wouldn't be able to shoot otherwise.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reloading is fun, is the thing. If I got my regular hourly wage for the time spent reloading, I would actually lose money on your process, or at best, break even. Call it 2 hours per 500 rounds for the bullet casting (time to clean the lead, drive around/gather, gas prices, etc), and another 5 hours to make the 500 rounds of ammo (yea I know some folks can go faster), its nearly a whole day's pay + materials to generate 10 boxes of ammo.

Buying the bullets or making them, if you factor in a wage for the time spent making ammo, the BEST I can do is about 30% savings over wall mart prices (for compatible ammo: brass cased, reloadable, jacketed ammo). For the crapammo, the steel/aluminum/berdan primed/etc junk, I actually lose money to load my own (again, if time wage is factored into it).

Everyone's situation is differnt, of course, and caliber matters for the prices, but depending on how you look at it reloading can actually COST you money (if you have a high middle class or better wage) or save you money (if you ignore the time spent since its a hobby, or if you have a very low income, etc). Casting or not casting is the same thing, depending on how you look at it, how long it takes to find/clean/cast/etc, and such.

Its not always about the money, though. I would much rather make a box of ammo than spend an hour of overtime at work to afford another box... ! And, even buying jacketed bullets, I am still looking at under $10 for a box of 45 acp, $7 for a box if 9mm when I ignore the time I spent on it. Add up the fun factor and the savings, and its a good deal for me right now.

As for casting, its just not for me. I would constantly worry about impuritys harming my barrels, or lead fumes, or what the neighborhood would think about my alchemy in the yard, etc. It would cost me less money in exchange for more time, and at this point, I would rather have the time.

Not much of an answer, but just some thoughts on why I buy the bullets right now. On top of all that I am very new to reloading and just that process is more than enough for me for a while.

With the exception of my AR's you'll likely NEVER see me sticking one of those copper condoms down my barrel. My 308 will hold under and inch at 100 yards with a 200g RNGC skipping along around 1700 FPS or so. The only jacketed pistol bullets I ever load are some someone gave me. I dang sure ain't buyin' 'em! I can water quench a cast 230g RN for 45acp and get it to approx 20-21 BHN. They will penetrate deep and deform VERY little. I dug some out of a stack of phone books once and other than the rifling engraved, you couldn't tell they'd been fired.

I can go the other way and soften them up considerably with less tin and antimony and they will mushroom fairly well. Now, for great results I just started casting with Lyman Devastator mold for 9x19. It drops a 130g hollow point. I'm still in the development stages pend better weather for an afternoon at the range, but they have a LOT of promise.

A final note for any nay sayers to casting; Tooling cost not included, brass picked up for free at the local range, WW lead is free for me but can be had reasonable for now [it's going to be banned here before long. already is other places] I can load 45 acp for under $60 per thousand. I imagine with the rise in prices, the next time I replenish my stores of powder and primers, my cost will be closer to $65-75 per thousand, but mehh, oh well.

I tried casting my own bullets for a while. It was ok, but for some reason I didn't enjoy doing it like I enjoy reloading. Went back to buying bullets. Lead and plated bullets can be had for a reasonable enough price. To each his own, I guess. I am glad I learned how to do it, if nothing else.

I cast my own .44 and .45 caliber pistol boolits. I also cast .30 and .45 rifle boolits. I don't enjoy the casting as much as I like reloading, but it is the only way I can afford to reload and shoot. I don't count my time involved as I am semi retired/unemployed. I have a friend that gives me the wheel weights. I smelt them about once a year. That part is not much fun. The actual casting, I do about 2 or 3 times a year and make enough to last me till next time.

Guest mbushell

Wheel weight lead is getting hard to get. It will be gone all toghther soon. The new weights are Iron. I have found that most chain type tire stores wont sell or give them to you, siteing EPA regulations when you ask. The dirty old one man show- mom and pop places don't seem to mind getting paid for what they would have to pay to dispose of.

Even when its gone you can get bullet lead ingots at Gander Mntn for a buck a pound. A pound makes 23 .45cal or so. I'd still be beating the system.

There's something cool about making the entire bullet... now if i could only make my own gunpowder, and form my own brass

I'm relatively new to reloading, but I started casting .44 ball and .50 real bullets for black powder last year.

I recently started reloading .38/.357, 9x18 Makarov (using resized 9mm brass), and 7.62x38 Nagant (real challenge there).

I've found I enjoy bullet casting and reloading almost as much as shooting! As for time spent...well, nobody's paying me to watch TV, either!

I've reloaded since '87, but I've never casted my own bullets. A friend of mine has several molds that I'm thinking about buying. I'm gonna give it a try and see if I like it. I'm concerned about the wheel weights myself. Even some of the small tire dealers are using iron weights now.

It's not the iron that you should be concerned about. It's zinc. Zinc is not evil but it is not a casters friend either. You should look WW over closely. I use an old pair of pruning snips. If you can't cut it, trash it. You can cut even the hardest lead WW alloy but not zinc.

Did you know that the melting temp of alum is around 1200 degrees and zinc is under 800 BUT you can dissolve aluminum in molten zinc? Just like salt dissolves in hot water, but salt actually melts around 1500 degrees. NOW, stop and think about those aluminum Lee molds? Not good.

Guest canebreaker

I bought my first handgun in '89. I bought my first mould in '90. I now have 6. In slack time at work, when I worked nights I poured my bullits. Others would nap or sit and bs, so I got paid to pour bullits. Now I work dayshift, can't have my stuff sitting around as company may walk through at anytime.

When melting leads, get it hot, spoon off the metals, add wax, after it burns out, scrape the sides and bottom of the pot and spoon off the trash. Add wax again and spoon off the fluff and blue film. Pour into ingots.

i use alot of moulds as well n ei and raphine and lbt are alum. lyman rcbs and saco are steel. the woulds i cast cannon sabots and cannon balls out of zinc are raphine made of alum. been casting for over 20 years have never been harmed by the hot zinc i didnt know that about zinc and aluminum.about 3 weeks ago i cast 100 rounds for my french wwi 75 mm its fun to shoot.i shoot alot of big bores if not for casting i couldnt afford to shoot them but i do most of my casting in the winter or early spring

casting bullets is really alot of fun anyone that wants to cast can come over and cast i live out in the country come on over i am laid up right now and cant walk but anyone that wants to cast or reload i have a reloading room 36x15 i belive in passing it on i cant really teach but i can help reloading and casting are great hobbies to have but wont realy save you any money because you will just buy more stuff i have a couple more reloading kits fore some one that wants to start just get in touch

I use the muffin pan too. Goodwill is your friend for that.

I cast around 1500 .32 cal round balls Sat. I use them in a 9 pellet 12g buck load.

I have a few other casting chores that I have demanded myself to finish before my next casting "fun job" which is a Lyman devastator 130g 9mm hollow point. Can't wait!

BTW, it's a loooooong shot but if anyone casts 12g slugs from a Lyman 525 and wants to sell or lease the mold for a few months, I'm in need. In a few weeks I can cast a lifetime supply.

If you are anywhere near Johnson City, there is a lead foundry there that can make up about any alloy you could want for casting and the prices have always been right at market rate for lead/alloy when I have bought. I think they have a 500 lbs minimum so you might want to ask a few buddies to go in with you.

I don't wanna be an advertisement for a first post so PM me if you want names and #s.

I cast way too much. I am now to the point that I shoot in order to be able to reload and cast more. It's an illness.

Guest mbushell

I called them this afternoon. I was told that they sell a bullet lead 2%antimony and 1%tin for about $ 1.30/lb no minimum order. They will ship or you can pick up. The girl at the front desk said they only sell to companies, which I happen to have, so i'm thinking about an order. If anyone is interested in going in with me get in touch.

Wheelweights are great, but hard to work with compared to finished ingots. Im thinking this would be a good - fairly cheap alternative

guess i am lucky .i was driving a truck around town when host of the printers changed from linotype to ibm .i was able to haul tons of it home over a 2-3 year time

i cast alot of rifle bullets out of pure linotype can drive most big bores just as fast as anything else.i paper patch alot of bullets as well ;when i load pistol bullets i cut the lino half and half with lead sheets that are just about pure comes out about 13-14 brenell.i cast my 75mm and 35 mm out of zinc i bought it in clarksville several years ago also my black oowder morter shoots bowling balls too many people live around me any more to shoot it very often.last year during the flood i was the only one around i shot the snot out of it and watched for the splash