Recoil Reducing Shotgun Stocks?

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

I'm not 100% satisfied with either the pistol grip or the standard buttstock for my "little" Maverick, and have been toying with the idea of switching out for something that combines the two (if nothing else, it will make the shotgun look all the more evil).

When looking at the options out there, I have been seeing things like Knoxx SpecOps Adjustable Length of Pull Recoil Reducing Buttstock and Forend Maverick 88, Mossberg 500, 590, 590A1, 835 12 Gauge Synthetic Black - MidwayUSA, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. Doesn't have to be this particular model, but it was an easily-found example.

Do they work? I would be lying if I said that it's a joy to shoot a 12ga for any extended amount of time (though the pain is somewhat addictive), but I would love to get some more time at the range with it, and any reduction would be an improvement.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a Knoxx Spec Ops stock on an 870 Tactical, and it does work. It's a spring mechanism though, and there are newer and better things out there. Go to the Mesa Tactical site and check out their AR-style buffer tube adapter with Enidine hydraulic recoil buffer. I'm actually thinking about throwing one of those on my Saiga-12.

Any estimation on how much these sorts of things help? Are we talking about a pretty noticeable difference, or more like "yeah, I guess that's a little better, maybe, but there's still a fair amount of stinging here?"

• Moderators

I have one on my Mossberg 500 and I would rate the felt recoil as less than half that with a standard stock. My step-father was amazed at the low level of recoil when he shot it, so it definitely falls into the category of "pretty noticeable".

*Edit to add*

It just clicked that you have the Maverick 88 which is essentially a 500 and are in Memphis. If you would like to give it a try, let me know. Be happy to let you try out mine.

Edited by Chucktshoes
I have one on my Mossberg 500 and I would rate the felt recoil as less than half that with a standard stock. My step-father was amazed at the low level of recoil when he shot it, so it definitely falls into the category of "pretty noticeable".

*Edit to add*

It just clicked that you have the Maverick 88 which is essentially a 500 and are in Memphis. If you would like to give it a try, let me know. Be happy to let you try out mine.

That would be excellent. I will have to figure out which Saturday nights I have free, and then we can head on over to Range USA for shotgun night (unless you have a place you prefer to shoot). I will PM to figure it out.

I had a Knoxx Spec Ops stock on an 870 Tactical, and it does work. It's a spring mechanism though, and there are newer and better things out there. Go to the Mesa Tactical site and check out their AR-style buffer tube adapter with Enidine hydraulic recoil buffer. I'm actually thinking about throwing one of those on my Saiga-12.

I think I'm with Tnscooter on this one. Just had a chance to look up the Mesa replacement, and it's about twice the cost of the Knoxx. Well, just the AR-style buttstock is about the same as the Knoxx, but then you more or less double it if you want to add dampening. Or at least that's how it appears to me. If there were more reduction I might consider it, but by all reports the reduction is about the same. The shotty was purchased waaaay back in 1994 or so, and then sat in the closet at my folks' house for years because neither of them could really stand shooting it. My mom gave it to me a while back, and I just don't use it as much as I would like to.

I think putting somewhere around $100 into a stock for it would be more than reasonable if that would make it less of a beast to handle. With the money I would save not going for the Mesa, I could get a decent light with a pressure switch for it and turn it in to a passable HD gun.

Like the op I have a lesser quality winchester 1200 I am converting to a HD gun and for the price is there anything better for the reduction recoil stock than the knoxx. I am looking at the black hawk for about $85 and I have seen some on gun broker for the mossberg for about $50.
I think I'm with Tnscooter on this one. Just had a chance to look up the Mesa replacement, and it's about twice the cost of the Knoxx. Well, just the AR-style buttstock is about the same as the Knoxx, but then you more or less double it if you want to add dampening. Or at least that's how it appears to me. If there were more reduction I might consider it, but by all reports the reduction is about the same. The shotty was purchased waaaay back in 1994 or so, and then sat in the closet at my folks' house for years because neither of them could really stand shooting it. My mom gave it to me a while back, and I just don't use it as much as I would like to.

I think putting somewhere around $100 into a stock for it would be more than reasonable if that would make it less of a beast to handle. With the money I would save not going for the Mesa, I could get a decent light with a pressure switch for it and turn it in to a passable HD gun.

Not sure where you're seeing these reports, but the reduction is NOT the same. That's not a knock on the Knoxx, but a spring simply can't do what the Enidine hydraulic system can. Still, if money's an issue, then the Knoxx is still a far better alternative than the factory fixed stock, and I don't think you'd be disappointed.
Not sure where you're seeing these reports, but the reduction is NOT the same. That's not a knock on the Knoxx, but a spring simply can't do what the Enidine hydraulic system can. Still, if money's an issue, then the Knoxx is still a far better alternative than the factory fixed stock, and I don't think you'd be disappointed.

It's not that money is an issue, per se, it's just that it's a lot easier to keep wifey happy when you're not spending lots of it on accessories for your "Barbie." I figure I can get more bang for my buck (ha!) by getting a stock and a light than from just getting a stock.

As for recoil reduction, I was seeing quoted figures for both in the 70-80% range.