Oops! I should have concealed my gun.

I obviously wasn't there and didn't witness the incident, but the OCer probably would have been better of if he had CCd.

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1982974.shtml?cat=500

Diners at a Garcia's restaurant in northwest Albuquerque lost their appetites after a customer attacked another inside the restaurant at lunchtime Sunday.

Police say Christopher Torres walked into the restaurant and saw another customer, John Garcia, sitting at a table eating with his family.

Garcia had a gun on his hip, in a holster. Torres saw this, announced to everyone that he was a DEA agent and said he had video evidence that Garcia was planning to rob the restaurant.

Torres then attacked Garcia, hitting him and trying to get the gun. The gun fell on the floor, a customer grabbed it, and then put it in the manager's office.

Other customers helped restrain Torres until police arrived.

Police say Torres suffers from mental issues. He was arrested and taken to the hospital for treatment. He will now face several felony charges.

Garcia was also arrested because he was not allowed to take his loaded gun into a place that sells liquor.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe
I can't get the video to load... but why are we assuming the gun was the cause for this guy being targeted? The article does not say that, does the video?

Not that I saw or read? I guess folks are just assuming this was the case and it does seem that it probably was. It is just darn lucky that the "mental" one did not end up shot after attacking someone for no reason.

I wonder who will end up in the most trouble over this, the "mental" one or the guy miding his own business?

I wonder who will end up in the most trouble over this, the "mental" one or the guy miding his own business?

I would say that both will face charges. Not knowing NM's laws I couldnt say but Im sure the victim will probably face some fines and might lose his carry license for awhile, but I'd say that would be about it. He was minding his own business.

The other guy will face, I'm sure, assault charges and some kind of impersonating a federal Agent or at the least giving false identification, among other possible charges. Not being there it would be unfair to say, but that would be just a guess.

Edited by BlackHawk93
Guest Tygarys
Actually, NM law appears to allow concealed carry in restaurants that serve beer and wine and derive 60% of revenue from food. Perhaps Garcia's serves Coke and rum. Regardless, he probably wouldn't be facing a felony charge if he had just covered it up.

You are correct, unlike TN, OC is pretty much useless here due to all the restrictions. Can't even go into supermarkets/convenience stores as they sell alcohol. You pretty much have to get a permit and CC here to freely carry most places.

You are correct, unlike TN, OC is pretty much useless here due to all the restrictions. Can't even go into supermarkets/convenience stores as they sell alcohol. You pretty much have to get a permit and CC here to freely carry most places.

Carrying a gun anywhere in Tennessee is a crime unless you have a Handgun carry permit.

Carrying a gun anywhere in Tennessee is a crime unless you have a Handgun carry permit.

I think what he is trying to say is that in TN (with a permit) there is no difference between OC and CC as far as the places that you can carry. While in NM there are places you can't OC without a permit that you can CC with a permit. So that even though OC without a permit looks good on the surface, there are so many restrictions it makes it impractical.

Guest Tygarys
I think what he is trying to say is that in TN (with a permit) there is no difference between OC and CC as far as the places that you can carry. While in NM there are places you can't OC without a permit that you can CC with a permit. So that even though OC without a permit looks good on the surface, there are so many restrictions it makes it impractical.

That is exactly what I was saying.

Right. I'm sure that Garcia still would have been singled out if he had been concealed.

Again, you fail to understand mental illness and how unpredictable it is.

Garcia's voice may have been the trigger, or a noise in the kitchen, or the color of the walls. The gun may just just been part of the scenario the mentally ill person created when he snapped.

Point is - it doesn't mean it has anything at all to do with the gun.

Well, I find it peculiar that the "mentally ill" guy thought the guy with the gun was going to rob the place. It was probably just the color of the walls, like you suggest. Of course, you are assuming the guy is mentally ill. Maybe he just had a seizure, or an allergic reaction to noises in the kitchen.

Edited by deerslayer
Well, I find it peculiar that the "mentally ill" guy thought the guy with the gun was going to rob the place.

Really? You mean you find that more peculiar than him claiming to be a federal agent? Or how about him trying to take the guy's gun from him in a physical confrontation while being unarmed himself?

You're really basing your position on the verbal claims of a fruitcake?

Yeah, that's the ticket - don't discuss the merits of the actual incident...

It's rather obvious that you're convinced the man was mentally ill and that despite the fact that's an assumption on your part, you're determined to only discuss it as fact, as otherwise it would undermine your other thread.

So yah, we'll just let it go, as it's plainly obvious you have no interest in discussing the merits of the actual incident unless you can twist them around your assumptions.

Have fun.

Guest mikedwood

Exactly why I wouldn't open carry often.

Not that I'm worried some psycho would attack me (could happen though anywhere any time) but I'm afraid that I might miss a gunbusters sign and get in some bad trouble. I wouldn't do it on purpose and if they don't allow me to carry I don't want to go in ever, but if a sign were missed could be bad. I don't want that kind of bad.

It's rather obvious that you're convinced the man was mentally ill and that despite the fact that's an assumption on your part, you're determined to only discuss it as fact, as otherwise it would undermine your other thread.

Is discussion of him being mentally ill really an "assumption" on my part?

When police arrived, they made the determination Torres was likely suffering from a mental disorder and took him to a hospital.

A man now known to be Mr. Christopher Torres, who has an alleged history of “mental issues†walked in to the store.
Open Carrier Arrested After Scuffle | USA Carry
Police say Torres suffers from mental issues. He was arrested and taken to the hospital for treatment.

Customer attacked at Garcia's restaurant | KOB.com

Granted - innocent until proven guilty and all that... but am I really going out on a limb by saying mental illness was at play here?