Should I cut my losses?

Guest iScream

Guest iScream

Hey Guys,

I've had a Springfield XDm 9mm for about a year and a half and I really want to like it, but I don't right now. When I first got it, I put a couple hundred rounds through it and thought the trigger was too heavy so I bought a trigger kit from Springer Precision a while back and finished installing it today. Took it out to the range and it's definitely better but not what I was hoping for. Most of my other guns are pretty heavy so maybe that's really what I don't like about it.

Now I'm having thoughts of hanging a laser off the front of it to add some additional weight. Would I even notice a difference though?

What would you guys do? Sell/trade it and take the loss or keep messing with it to see if I can turn it into something I will enjoy shooting? Maybe I just need to get rid of it and get a 1911 like I really want.

Anyway, mostly rambling and wishing I hadn't bought the thing. It's a good looking gun with the silver slide but I just don't know if I'm ever going warm up to actually shooting it. Of course, I had to buy extra mags too, so I'm sure I won't get my money back on those. :-\

Thanks,

Chris

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sell it. If you are not comfortable with it and you are confident with the performance of and your ability with another firearm, make the switch. There are plent of Springfield XD users out there that would probably be willing to buy the mags off you. That said, there is a classified section on this forum...

I guess you could add a Tungsten guide rod and a Surefire X300 to add some weight. Personally my XDm with the Springer Precision trigger kit is my favorite range gun. Of course you could hang a suppressor off the end of it to add some weight. :)

If you want to sell it, spend the few bucks it costs and become a Benefactor here. TGO is a great place to sell things. It kind of sounds like that's where you're headed.

It's hard to beat a 1911 but if weight is an issue, the 1911 is probably not for you.

I really want to like it, but I don't right now.

it's definitely better but not what I was hoping for.

see if I can turn it into something I will enjoy shooting?

Maybe I just need to get rid of it and get a 1911 like I really want.

I just don't know if I'm ever going warm up to actually shooting it.

Sounds like you already have your answer.

They are guns not wives. Don’t waste your time on it if you don’t like it, turn it and move on. :)

Unless you got hosed when you bought it you shouldn’t lose much. I see used guns sold for new retail on here all the time. And it’s not like you can’t buy another one later if you decided you really want it back.

Since I've recently returned to college after 22 years away, let me be one of "those" people who sees every problem as a nail that needs to be hit with their shiny new hammer. In this case, what I've been learning in Economics.

opportunity cost: the cost related to the next best choice available (what you will have to give up to have one thing over another)

sunk costs: past costs that have already been incurred and cannot be recovered (like what you spent on your XDm and trigger kit)

rule: sunk costs should be ignored in making economic choices

Proverbs such as, "That's water over the dam," and "Don't throw good money after bad" underscore the irrelevance of sunk costs. So how does this apply in your case?

As others have noted, it seems you've already decided you'd like a 1911. Therefore, you should look at trying to raise funds by selling what you have, saving up new money, or a combination of the two.

I consider every gun I buy to be a sunk cost, and I've not yet been able to recover what I've spent when selling or trading. I can always, however, apply it's current market value toward the next thing I want.

In short, it's okay to not like what you have and it's okay to want something else. Go get your 1911!

PS - First post nailed it. (usually does)

They are guns not wives. Don’t waste your time on it if you don’t like it, turn it and move on. :)

Unless you got hosed when you bought it you shouldn’t lose much. I see used guns sold for new retail on here all the time. And it’s not like you can’t buy another one later if you decided you really want it back.

Yep.

My two cents on selling any gun that is not factory or has been modified.

Remove any extras and sell them seperately. It is unlikely that you would get the same amount if you sell the weapon as a whole. Take the parts out and any extra mags and sell them seperately then sell the firearm as an unmodified gun. You will come out way ahead over selling it as a package.

Dolomite

My two cents on selling any gun that is not factory or has been modified.

Remove any extras and sell them seperately. It is unlikely that you would get the same amount if you sell the weapon as a whole. Take the parts out and any extra mags and sell them seperately then sell the firearm as an unmodified gun. You will come out way ahead over selling it as a package.

Dolomite

The Springer Precision trigger kit requires fitting for the XDm, probably won't be able to sell that separately.

Guest iScream
Personally my XDm with the Springer Precision trigger kit is my favorite range gun.

A lot of people seem to like them. As far as 9mm goes, I like my STI Trojan about 100 times better and probably shoot it that much better as well. Obviously the XDm isn't the same class of gun as the STI though. But I think I liked the old CZ 75B I traded away a couple years ago better than the XDm too.

-Chris

Guest iScream
If you want to sell it, spend the few bucks it costs and become a Benefactor here. TGO is a great place to sell things. It kind of sounds like that's where you're headed.

It's hard to beat a 1911 but if weight is an issue, the 1911 is probably not for you.

I'll probably do just that if I do sell it. I've bought a couple guns off members here already. I actually want a gun that weighs more...

-Chris

Guest iScream
I must admit I have never heard someone say an XDm trigger was too heavy for their liking.

Sell and put the proceeds toward something else.

Hmm, I don't know. There sure seem to be a lot of people buying the Springer Precision trigger kits and making the trigger lighter. When I compare it to my Ruger MKIII with VQ internal parts or my Smith and Wesson revolver triggers right out of the box, there is just no comparison. My STI also feels far better to me out of the box, but I've got a new sear and springs I'll be installing in that one soon anyway.

-Chris

Guest iScream

They are guns not wives. Don’t waste your time on it if you don’t like it, turn it and move on. ;)

You're probably right. Even losing a few buck on the deal, if I get a new gun I'll actually shoot and not just leave in the safe maybe it's worth it.

-Chris

Guest iScream
I guess this line threw me off. My mistake. Darn you Evelyn Wood. (Google it if you don't know Evelyn)

Just me not being clear, I'm sure. I meant to say that I like the fact that my other guns are heavy. I pretty much just punch holes in paper so the extra weight helps me hold steady.

-Chris

Guest iScream
The Springer Precision trigger kit requires fitting for the XDm, probably won't be able to sell that separately.

Yep. I had to file down both ends of the trigger bar to get everything installed. Not sure if the amount I had to trim would be the same in another XDm. Guess I could take out the sear and springs but I don't know if it's worth the trouble.

-Chris

I had the XDM 3.8 .40 and did not care for it either, can't really point to any particular reason, it just never grew on me. I traded a couple of times before I settled on a Glock 23. As stated above, if it is a gun that does not suit you, eat the loss and move on.

Your experience sounds very similar to mine. I have a XD 9 service model and I bought a Springer kit last week. I like the shorter travel and reset on the trigger, but was disappointed the trigger wasn't lighter. I didn't really notice too much difference in trigger pull after installing the kit. My XD 45 did not need a better trigger, it was pretty good from the factory. My Mark III doesn't need a kit, but I was hoping for a trigger like it. I'm not planning on getting rid of my XDs as of now. I just want a lighter trigger pull and a few million dollars, while I'm dreaming. ;)

Guest FiddleDog

I had an XDm 3.8 in 9mm that I couldn't get to liking either. The thing about XDs(and XDms) are their relatively high bore-axis. That top-heavy feeling really makes it feal squirrelly in the hand. If you want to try and push through it, you could see how loading it with 147s impact it's slide to grip balance, but then you're stuck with the same problem as you get to the end of the magazine. As far as cutting losses, any further sunk cost into the weapon, even though it increases the weapon's worth, will probably not influence the weapons value. Any further money you throw at that thing will be lost, unless you're willing to strip it back down to stock and sell the parts as individual packages.