What is the Law in TN

Does anyone know what the law states about firing a gun near a building? What is the legal distance? A quarter mile? Someone told me 100 yds and that sounds way too close.

For all I know there is no law because I could not find anything searching the web. Thanks.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tnfireman

Hunting near private dwellings: It is unlawful to hunt, shoot at, chase

or kill with or without dogs any wild animal, wild birds or waterfowl on

public lands and waters within 100 yards of a visible dwelling house,

without the owner’s permission, whether or not such a dwelling is on

public or private lands.

Straight from http://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/huntguide.pdf

page 42

Hunting near private dwellings: It is unlawful to hunt, shoot at, chase

or kill with or without dogs any wild animal, wild birds or waterfowl on

public lands and waters within 100 yards of a visible dwelling house,

without the owner’s permission, whether or not such a dwelling is on

public or private lands.

Straight from http://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/huntguide.pdf

page 42

Thanks for the information. That sounds way too close to be hunting or shooting in a wooded ares with homes and people around. :hiding:

It would appear this would depend on whether you're talking about firing a gun on "public" land, or "private" land. On "private" land, It's my understanding you can sit on your back porch and shoot all you want. But, that 100 yard distance law applies to "public" (gobment) land. Some legal eagles might interpret the law differently, but I think you "still" have control over your own land, within reason!

Guest Jcochran88
It would appear this would depend on whether you're talking about firing a gun on "public" land, or "private" land. On "private" land, It's my understanding you can sit on your back porch and shoot all you want. But, that 100 yard distance law applies to "public" (gobment) land. Some legal eagles might interpret the law differently, but I think you "still" have control over your own land, within reason!

You are correct. The law states that you must have permission to do so closer than 100 yards.

Where they get you is the noise ordinance. Shooting at 125 yards from a dwelling may be legal but in my county they'll get you for making noise. My uncle has property out of town. Over 100 yards from anyone. Was stopped, fortunately not cited, because he was making too much noise. Now I can't shoot there either. If they want to stop you, they'll find a way. Reason enough to have me looking into a suppressor.

Guest tnfireman

DRM, I assumed the OP was talking about hunting since this thread is in the hunting section. Either way that was the only reg. I could find with any distance listed.

I have to agree with Motasyco, that if someone wants to complain it would probably be because of the noise.

DRM, I assumed the OP was talking about hunting since this thread is in the hunting section. Either way that was the only reg. I could find with any distance listed.

I have to agree with Motasyco, that if someone wants to complain it would probably be because of the noise.

Understood - just trying to make sure we're all on the same page :up:

Thanks for the information. That sounds way too close to be hunting or shooting in a wooded ares with homes and people around. :up:

As long as you're not firing in the direction of a residence I really don't see the problem. Not everybody has 10,000 acres at their disposal for hunting so sometimes it is necessary to be in relative proximity to a dwelling.