Liner Lock Knives

Am I the only one who despises a liner lock knife? It seems like tons of expensive knives use these rather than a blade lock (similar to the SOG Flash II) which makes for much easier one handed operation. I really, really like a lot of these knives, but just can't bring myself to buy them, simply because you have to place a body part in the path of the blade to close it.

Please, let the debate begin. :D

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how you'd close a regular lockback knife without putting a finger "in harms way" either. I've owned both for many years, and find the liner lock easier.. at least for me, to close one handed. Both designs work great (in a good quality knife)... just a matter of preference!

I don't know how you'd close a regular lockback knife without putting a finger "in harms way" either. I've owned both for many years, and find the liner lock easier.. at least for me, to close one handed. Both designs work great (in a good quality knife)... just a matter of preference!

I've never had to put a finger in the path of a blade with a lock back. More specifically, the blade locks on the SOG Flash, for example, is on the side. Use the thumb of the knife hand and close with the forefinger of the same hand.

Guest Lester Weevils

Hi Good_Steward

I know little of knives but carry small ones daily. Will change knives every week or two for variety but I don't have a lot of knives or fancy ones.

The pocket knife is often a mini-multi-tool that is useful day to day. No lockback. Need two hands to open but one hand to close. Just have to avoid doing tasks which may close the blade on fingers. The little 2 inch Leatherman and Gerber multitools have held up for years. They look geeky but have sliced a lot of wire, screwed a lot of electrical connections, filed off contact corrosion, on-the-spot repair computers, etc. Lots of use and they stil work great.

Same with old-style conventional folding pocket knives (case, shrade, etc). Two hand open and close.

I like a small lock-back Buck. It has a good sharp blade. Needs two hands to open but can push the back-of-handle lock and close the blade one-handed pushing it against the leg or hip.

I have a few S&W bright aluminum handle SWAT liner lock knives because used ones sell cheap at gun shows, they appear well made and I admire the industrial design. Will occasionally pocket carry either the middle-sized or small SWAT variants. They one-hand open with a stud, and one-hand close as you describe, unlock with thumb and close with forefinger. It does put the thumb in harms way, but I'm real clumsy and so far never got cut. The big S&W SWAT's scrape weathered paint better than any paint scraper or spatula, and the steel is good enough that they will sharpen right back up after the abuse.

Have an old freebie 1960's Motorola Electronics giveaway that has a good 3" narrow blade. Holds a good edge. It is still in good condition for an old free promotional item. Blade slides straight out the front using a sliding stud on the side. Like a box cutter except with a real blade. It opens and closes one-handed with no body parts in the way, and has been real useful in the past for instance electronic work when one is in an inconvenient posture and needs to one-handed fish out the knife without letting go of cables.

I like that side-lock on the SOG Flash you mentioned. Looks like a good design. I don't skin mules or climb mountains or carry a fighting knife so it is difficult to understand the allure of some expensive knives. Some are flat-out beautiful industrial design and workmanship, but quite a few expensive knives just look plain old butt-ugly to me. :doh:

When it comes to lock blades, I also like liner locks. That being said, I carry slip joints and fixed most of the time anymore. Just prefer them. As I get older, I'm finding more and more that I'm leaving the tacticool phase of life, preferring simpler things. Slip joints and fixed blades with carbon steel blades in knives are what I like.

Edited by Moped