My first open carry experience

Guest kirkosaurus

so someone open carrying is portraying a bad ass?? Are you serious? You gotta be freakin kidding.

There is no law in TN against OCing. You don't wanna do it, fiine. But the fact you think that someone lawfully going about their business is a wannabe bad ass is beyond words.

+1

I don't understand what the big deal is on open carry. When I see people open carry I don't really think anything of it. I might stare a few seconds just to see what kind of gun they are carrying, but that is about it.

In regards to mall ninjas, maybe I don't get out all that much. I have never seen a person in public all decked out in tactical gear looking like they just came from a photo shoot for Blackhawk. I guess I just don't go to those type of places, or perhaps this is just an internet phenomenon. ;)

Concerning the lady who is berating you for open carrying and stating how she doesn't feel safe. I wouldn't say the first thing to her. I would probably stare at her like she was on crack, and if possible, I would cut a fart. That way instead of just not feeling safe, she could be offended.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand what the big deal is on open carry. When I see people open carry I don't really think anything of it. I might stare a few seconds just to see what kind of gun they are carrying, but that is about it.

Yep

In regards to mall ninjas, maybe I don't get out all that much. I have never seen a person in public all decked out in tactical gear looking like they just came from a photo shoot for Blackhawk. I guess I just don't go to those type of places, or perhaps this is just an internet phenomenon. ;)

They are out there...I've never seen one in person myself, but others on here have and have even posted pics once or twice...but it rare.

Concerning the lady who is berating you for open carrying and stating how she doesn't feel safe. I wouldn't say the first thing to her. I would probably stare at her like she was on crack, and if possible, I would cut a fart. That way instead of just not feeling safe, she could be offended.

LOL..... I have thought about this more.... Is a woman who is scared, fearing for her saftey etc....really going to approach someone armed in what might be seen as a confritational posture?

Guest kirkosaurus

Just for the record I agree there are times to OC and times to CC.

For instance, I CC'd at church today. I'm on the rotating schedule for nursery duty and visitors might be a little reluctant to hand over their little one to a dude with a gun. ;)

I can't recall ever seeing someone all decked out like a tacticool fool and OCing. When I dres in that manner I am concealing like always.

Even if I did see someone dressed in that manner AND OCing I doubt I would worry much about it.

Remember, someone OCing has gone through training, been vetted by the state and has a carry permit. ( of course there may be the square peg trying to fit in a round hole who is cheating)

If you don't like their manner of dress that is your problem not theirs. Get over it. They are not breaking any laws.

Near as I can figure a criminal is not going to OC. ( of course if he did another bad guy would steal his gun as he would be the primnary target during a crime being committed, so it would kind of be a wash)

Guest Lester Weevils

I don't think much of it when I see OC, but would only possibly OC out hiking pretty far in the woods or whatever.

One time was walking to the hospital ICU to visit a relative. Hospital is posted of course. 30-something guy walking the same hall, casual dressed t-shirt, shorts and tennis shoes OC'ing a full-size pistol. No visible badge.

I didn't make much thought except to assume maybe he is a cop and everybody at the hospital knows the guy. But maybe he was just some random bubba and everybody at the hospital just assumed he was a cop like I did.

so someone open carrying is portraying a bad ass?? Are you serious? You gotta be freakin kidding.

There is no law in TN against OCing. You don't wanna do it, fiine. But the fact you think that someone lawfully going about their business is a wannabe bad ass is beyond words.

i just want a good reason other than cause you have the right to, you would open carry out to lets say kroger...

i just want a good reason other than cause you have the right to, you would open carry out to lets say kroger...

Having the right to is what this country is founded on. Who says anyone has to give you a reason for their desire to exercise their right to do ANYTHING? Im sorry, but I fought for this country and if I wanted to OC somewhere I certainly dont feel I have to give you a reason for it other than it's my right. I agree with Mike 357

Guest kirkosaurus

More comfortable?

Easier access to your weapon?

Deterrent from an attack of a criminal?

Need more reasons?

you sound no different from the anti's who ask why we would want to carry a gun at all..

Again, if you don't want to OC, then don't do it, but don't :hiding: on others who decide to exercise their rights.

People do all kinds of things in this country that I don't like or understand(smoking, tattoos, etc) but I don't go around telling those people what I think about it. It's a free country, they can do as they please.

Guest mosinon

The rub with this notion is that you are assuming everyone sees the world the same way you do. I don't, for example, appreciate street preachers but those guys sincerely believe they might save a soul by damning everyone on the sidewalk or something. The KKK also has the occasional march or something (never in downtown Memphis) and I don't like that either but, hey, free speech and all.

That is the tough thing about rights, people are going to use them in ways you find stupid or disagree with. You've kind of got to put up with it because some day you might find yourself wanting to exercise a right in a way others might find disagreeable.

Half the reason open carry is such an issue is because so few do it.

If I saw someone open carrying, I would definitely notice, but figure he knew what he was doing if he was acting normally. I would probably be checking out his piece. ...Gun that is.

Comfort.

Because my attire requires it.

Ease of access.

It is a valuable tool for educating fellow gun owners and non-owners alike.

Normalizing the concept of firearms in public.

It demonstrates that the Brady Bunch stereotype of firearm carriers is inherently flawed.

Showing that "normal people" carry firearms.

I like showing off my holster.

Deterrence.

And because our openly carrying and not causing trouble/shooting up the place gives folks in states where open carry is not legal leverage to use against those who would keep it illegal.

All that said, I want to know a good reason, other than "'cause you have the right to", that you would demand such information from other people. After all, if one Constitutionally-protected rights are subject to that scrutiny, all are.

blah blah blah I fought for my country also, that doesn’t go as far as it use to, I went and bought bigger jeans and shorts so I could use an IWB holster, also bigger shirts so printing was not such an issue, sounds like the tree huggers of the gun community, and someone mentioned a guy at Wal-Mart duel wielding glocks on each hip...just think its plain stupid, no rime or reason, possibly might deter a criminal might not... i think i offended some sensibilities does anyone know of a police officer that OC's when off duty? And wander why? Also...I have heard where people have open carried in a Wal-Mart and then been asked to leave... what if u where carrying concealed? you would have had no issues and brought attention to yourself... sounds like some people are missing something in there life...

Edited by carter