My first open carry experience

Guest kirkosaurus

Guest kirkosaurus

After becoming a fan of Linoge's blog "Walls of the City" I've started thinking more and more about open carrying. So I decided to go for it today.

Changed the oil, replaced the battery on the bike, added some carb cleaner and needed to run it around for awhile to work that stuff through the fuel system so I thought, hey I'll open carry while riding the motorcycle! So I strapped on the Glock 26 and went for it.

During my ride I made sure I stayed in the left lane so all the cars were on my gun side. This maximized exposure, especially when stopped at traffic lights. I rode for about 1.5 hours and about 50 miles through busy streets of Smyrna and Lavergne. It was hard to tell if I was getting the normal stares from being on a bike (something different for people to look at instead of the normal cars you see at a traffic light) or because of my piece. I did have someone honk at me and a couple of girls were giggling as they pulled up beside me then quickly shut up and rolled up their windows when they saw me. :D Also had a Lavergne police cruiser pull up beside me at a red light and the female officer didn't give me a second look. Another time a TN State trooper car was to my right at another light. Also stopped for gas and had a couple of looks at the pump across from me.

But as far as I know, no one freaked out, no one called the police, the police that did see didn't care, and all was well on a rather normal (but chilly) bike ride.

photo.JPG

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general most people posting about their OCing experience report the same "non-event" experience.

But don't worry, I'm only the 5th response in 3 hours....I'm sure others will be along shortly to tell you all that you did wrong (besides OCing in general), what could have happened and how you've set the HCP/Handgun carry efforts in TN back 30 years.... :D

Guest Jcochran88
In general most people posting about their OCing experience report the same "non-event" experience.

But don't worry, I'm only the 5th response in 3 hours....I'm sure others will be along shortly to tell you all that you did wrong (besides OCing in general), what could have happened and how you've set the HCP/Handgun carry efforts in TN back 30 years.... :D

Nailed It!!

The only thing I'm wondering is how you handle a loud woman in a crowded place coming up in your face and being loud and beligerent, yelling about you carrying a gun, endangering everyone, being a coward, etc. I don't see how you win this one. You walk away; she won. You hit her; you lose. You say anything in return; you lose. This is very likely to happen, and it wouldn't surprise me if some members of the crowd now drawn around to watch your reaction decide to join in. Something to think about.

Guest kirkosaurus
The only thing I'm wondering is how you handle a loud woman in a crowded place coming up in your face and being loud and beligerent, yelling about you carrying a gun, endangering everyone, being a coward, etc. I don't see how you win this one. You walk away; she won. You hit her; you lose. You say anything in return; you lose. This is very likely to happen, and it wouldn't surprise me if some members of the crowd now drawn around to watch your reaction decide to join in. Something to think about.

Is this based on experience or just your theory? I don't worry too much about theories until there are facts to back them up.

I have not experienced this, but have encountered my share of outspoken, obnoxious people. I don't feel this is an irrational fear, but perhaps it is. Until I can come up with a way to deal with a similar situation, I'll be very guarded in where and when I open carry. I'm not suggesting everyone else do the same, but I was proposing something you might not have considered.

Why in the world would you even consider hitting someone for yelling at you?

She's Won, you loose?....When did it become a contest?

Not sure I've ever heard of such an encounter....usually if anything is said it seems to be a pleasant discussion about firearms or genuine curiosity about the law and/or about getting a permit etc....

If someone comes up yelling and screaming anything they say is going to be based on emotion and nothing rational or logical you say is going to change anything, so not just walk away?

Just say EEEWWW, you have a booger hanging off your nose, then walk away. :D

What the heck are you talking about Greg? :D

I'm glad to see your first OC outing went well. I do it semi frequently in various places and most people don't even notice. The general population has virtually no situational awareness. Ignore the naysayers on TGO who have no proof to back up their odd claims.

Ever since the rather "heated" discussion (in a couple of threads) two or three weeks back, I've been open carrying a bit more than I ever have in the past. So far, the only times anyone has said anything was to discuss what I was carrying in a "knowledge seeking" way. In other words, it's been mostly and "non-issue".

I still and likely always will believe that, generally, concealed carry is both advantageous from a tactical point of view as well more appropriate in most situations if only to avoid unnecessary confrontations (especially confrontations with those who are vehemently opposed to the idea of an armed private citizenry).

Guest mosinon

I saw a guy at home depot open carrying a while back. Didn't see that it caused any consternation, I couldn't tell that anyone noticed. Well I noticed. But only because someone else was open carrying a poodle and I wanted to borrow his gun and shoot that half dog. No, I don't hate dogs. They painted that poor dog's nails so I would have chalked it up to a mercy killing.

Guest Bronker

I saw a guy in my local walmart one night, DUAL-wielding Glock 22's in the open.

I made eye contact with him long enough to roll them!

I'm all about freedom, and exercising freedom to keep it strong, but there are times when what is legal is not always sensible.

But just humor me for a second, what would you do in such a situation.

I'd calmly explain to her that I'm not posing any threat to her and the steps I take to protect myself and my family really shouldn't concern her. If you stay calm and she's really yelling and screaming like you describe, can you guess which one will look like an idiot to the average bystander? Then again, this probably wouldn't happen to me since I hardly ever OC. I did take the family on another hike in the Smokies on Friday. Wore the thigh rig so I could carry the 2-year old in a pack with a large waist strap. It was the first hike for our 2-month-old that my wife was carrying in a front pack. As usual, we only saw a few other hikers and no one said a word about my gun. I really don't plan to OC on a regular basis, or in any situation in which I can easily conceal (which is probably close to 99% of the time).

But just humor me for a second, what would you do in such a situation.

The same thing I would do if it was a man… walk away. What’s she (or he) going to do physically stop me? At that point they go to jail.

A more realistic scenario (I think) while you are playing Mall Ninja would be if a group of gang bangers would see your gun and decided to take it. Once 4 or 5 guys move within arm’s reach; there isn’t much you are going to do except lose your gun.

Of course I don’t have those problems; I don’t open carry. :doh: