What's the legal way to transport my weapon?

No carry permit

No trunk in either of my vehicles? (Jeep / Truck)

What's the legal way to transport my handgun, and ammo at the same time? I know it can't be loaded, and your supposed to separate weapon and ammo with one being in the trunk. But that's not an option for me since I don't have one in either vehicle. Weapon on the seat next to me, ammo in the locked glove box?

What if your ride is a motorcycle? :D

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

I believe my permit instructor recommended having at least 3 steps between you and a loaded gun. Your description of the setup (gun separated from ammo by a lock, and unloaded) has three steps (unlock ammo, load magazine, insert into gun). Obviously that's not meant to be a legal test or anything, but it would seem to demonstrate a lack of intent to go armed. Of course, I'm not sure why you would choose to lock up the ammo rather than the gun. Leaving the gun out in the open seems like it would be inviting trouble a lot more readily than doing it the other way. Plus, there's always the temptation to flash it if thing get hairy, and that's not going to help your cause.

Gun in a case, unloaded magazines, ammo in a box. Separated, one or the other in a locked glove box.

But realistically, it really comes down to the cop and why he is looking at you.

This is it in a nutshell.

And DaveTN, don't have a heart attack since I found something to agree with you on. :D

Gun in a case, unloaded magazines, ammo in a box. Separated, one or the other in a locked glove box.

But realistically, it really comes down to the cop and why he is looking at you.

This last bit has always been my feeling on the matter... We travel regularly to the range in an SUV with a hand full of rifles / hand guns / ammo... Neither of us had an HCP and we just tossed it all in the back made sure the ammo / magazines / guns were all separate and stowed away in the range bag... If pulled over it should be pretty obvious we are heading to the range and have separated everything to the best of our abilities... but if someone's having a bad day... Oh well.

note: I usually don't try to lock anything because I find it to be a pain and I'm usually taking upwards of 8 guns to the range at a time... and I find the locks impractical at that point.

Can't remember, slept since my class! Do the same three steps appliy to a long gun since your HCP is for a handgun? (Note-I only carry a long gun to & from the range)

With an HCP you can carry long guns loaded but with no shell in chamber. (in vehicle, not on person)

No need to separate ammo/guns at all anymore.

- OS

Can't remember, slept since my class! Do the same three steps appliy to a long gun since your HCP is for a handgun? (Note-I only carry a long gun to & from the range)
With an HCP you can carry long guns loaded but with no shell in chamber. (in vehicle, not on person)

No need to separate ammo/guns at all anymore.

- OS

OS is right...but if you don't have a HCP... what is considered "unloaded" is the same for a handgun or longun in that situation.

Do you not have the locking tailgate box in the back of the jeep? If not I would rather personally lock my expensive weapon in the glove bock and leave the boxed ammunition in the rear floor board. Get a permit already, an unloaded gun is useless when you need it.