little help understanding glocks.

Guest josh123

Guest josh123

can anybody give me a short explanation on the differences in the glock generations?

just curious in the small changes between the different generations.. i dont need anything super detailed just never really looked into it..

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember reading some place where one of the earlier gen glocks had an issue with the rear frame rail seperating from the frame or breaking... not sure if your looking to buy an earlier gen but i would take that into consideration, my EDC is a 3rd gen glock 19

I hate to tell you this , but they went from great to BLAH . I loved the 1st gens , the 2 gens, then the 3rd gens had the finger grooves and I did not like them , and now the 4th gens have PROBLEMS with the damn recoil springs in certain ones . I dont know why Glock didnt just keep it the way it was .

Wasn't there actually an unofficial gen 3.5 that had the fish gill serations? Or was that an early launch of gen 4? I don't see those fish gills on any gen 4's I've seen lately. I really liked the fish gills.

That was a Gen 3 RTF. The RTF2 did away with the fish gills. I like the Gen 4's myself if it weren't for problems with the recoil springs. I see a Gen 4 26 in my future.

Guest Lester Weevils

Has the trigger been refined at all over the generations?

I'm very ignorant of glocks. Fired a first generation nearly-new 17 or 19 many years ago and was not especially accurate with the pistol, and the trigger had a springy toy-cap-gun feel that I didn't like. So didn't pay much attention to them afterwards.

But so many folks admire glocks, I recently got a barely-used gen 3 g17. It shoots about as accurate as anything else in my hand, and the trigger is almost as good as single-action.

Maybe my memory is bad, but this gen 3 g17 seems a much more likable gun than I recall the gen 1 I tried a long time ago.

That was a Gen 3 RTF. The RTF2 did away with the fish gills. I like the Gen 4's myself if it weren't for problems with the recoil springs. I see a Gen 4 26 in my future.

I just took my new G26 Gen4 out to the range yesterday for the first time, ran about 200 rounds through it without a problem. Mostly UMC standard pressure FMJs, but I did run 40 rounds of various defense rounds, both +P and standard (10 each of Federal HST 124 +P, Federal HST 147 +P, Winchester Ranger 147g SXT, and Winchester 124 NATO FMJ).

Not sure what the issues are with the Gen4's, mine have been trouble-free. I have two of them (G22 and G26) and have not had any problems at all with either. I shoot both 40s and 9s in the G22 (Storm Lake conversion barrel) and everything just works.

I believe the problem was in recoil spring weight. Its the same recoil design used in the sub-compact models now being used in the compact size. I think all of these issues have been fixed and no longer should be a concern.

When you dry fire a Glock they do sound like a daisy red rider bb gun

I'm very ignorant of glocks. Fired a first generation nearly-new 17 or 19 many years ago and was not especially accurate with the pistol, and the trigger had a springy toy-cap-gun feel that I didn't like. So didn't pay much attention to them afterwards.

But so many folks admire glocks, I recently got a barely-used gen 3 g17. It shoots about as accurate as anything else in my hand, and the trigger is almost as good as single-action.

Maybe my memory is bad, but this gen 3 g17 seems a much more likable gun than I recall the gen 1 I tried a long time ago.

Actually they went from blah to great to ridulous to a little bit better but they still have the funky grips. :hiding:

Apparently there are two different Gen 3's. I did not know that until reading the descriptions of the models. The later Gen 3 is the one I like.

I don't know the answer but I have had the very same impression as you. I never liked the trigger on my brother's G17...felt like shooting a staple gun. His is probably a Gen1 or 2. The trigger on my new Gen 3 G26 feels much, much better, IMO.

i don't care for the springfields... that is one ugley gun, glock on the other hand are well like the sign says...Perfection... it is a striker fire weapon, basically a single action without an exposed hamer, also Glocks are like an I-pod... TONS of aftermarket stuff, i only own one and am about to trade it i think....but VERY nice pistol, will more than likely get another one... what do yall think of the OD frame?