Question about ammo for a beretta 92FS

CJDore

I recently purchased a Beretta 92FS 9mm and have been shopping online for ammo. I will chiefly be using this pistol at the range. I was contemplating a 124 grain and found these online..........

Federal Cartridge 9mm Luger by Federal 9mm Luger, 124gr, Full Metal Jacket, (Per 50) - AE9AP

Has anyone had any experience with these? I wanted to be certain before I order a truck load. Thanks!

Edited by CJDore
typo
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Mine has also gobbled up every flavor of ammo I've tried - from reloads, to cheap commercial, to defense. It's also fairly old. We're talking Euro-style safety at the bottom of the grip rather than by the trigger. I doubt their ability to fire whatever you throw at them has gone downhill, and damn if this thing doesn't still look and shoot like it's brand new.

Ditto. Although the 92/92 series was not a favorite of mine; too big and heavy for my small to medium size hands; I never found a round it wouln't feed. And I've used some really cheap, crappy reloads and import ammo for range time. I've used the 124 gr. Federal in several guns and have no issues with it. Even with the reliability of the Beretta, I'd suggest trying several brands and weights to see if yours does any better with a particular one before buying a "truckload." Then pick what you and the Beretta like and stockpile whatever you feel comfortable with. Personally, I keep more than some on hand and less than others here. Good shooting to you.

Guest Lester Weevils

I have two inox 92fs and they both feed about anything. I usually reload 124gr, but shoot 115gr wally world federal fmj when too lazy to reload.

One 92 is at least 10 years old and I had reloaded light practice ammo just stiff enough to reliably work the slide. The new 92 bought last year would stovepipe on those very light rounds and I had to slightly increase the load for the new one.

However, the new one runs 100% on any factory ammo I've tried. Am guessing that the new one has a slightly stiffer recoil spring, which would probably only be a concern if you want to handload very light rounds.

Guest Lester Weevils

Hi LeadWaster

I think all the Beretta stainless 92s are called inox.

The slide is stainless and the frame is some flavor of aluminum alloy finished to look virtually identical to the slide. I think all the 92 frames are some kind of aluminum, but could be mistaken.

Here is some guesswork and hearsay--

My old one is an italian-made inox at least 10 years old. Had always assumed that the frame was some kind of silvery hard-anodized finish. It has worn well over the years and doesn't show any problems with the finish. It has all-stainless (or some kind of shiny metal) on the trigger, hammer, safety, and other parts. It has a stainless recoil spring guide rod. Maybe a few of the tiny parts deep inside the gun are not stainless.

My new one (last year) is also an italian-made inox and it appears identical to the old one. Every part is stainless except it has a plastic guide rod. The plastic guide rod worked just as good as the metal, but I eventually bought a stainless guide rod for the new one too.

Have seen pictures of some of the USA-assembled inox models which have a few small black parts. Safety, possibly trigger. Have read that some of the new 92's have a few more plastic small parts than just the guide rod, but dunno.

On a beretta forum, I read a couple of people complaining that the finish on new-purchased inox's was giving them trouble. Flaking on the frame. So possibly they are painting at least some of the newer frames.

My new one doesn't show any finish trouble. Both the old and new frames look hard-anodized to me rather than a painted finish. But I'm no expert and could be fooled. Maybe the old one also has a painted coating for all I know.

I haven't web-searched on the issue for about 6 months. There may be more info on that topic nowadays.

my 92 is from before clinton, original 15 rounder, and it just does not care what you put into it. Feel confident that any ammo you get will do just fine, though common sense says to try 1 box of any pricy stuff before buying a bajillion rounds of it ...

Thanks Lester. The one I'm trading for appears to have all stainless parts.... I'll check out the guide rod. Even the magazines appear to be stainless. I've wanted one of these since back in the '80's, but after a fellow let me shoot his at Frontier back in December, it's moved way up on the list of guns I'm trying to get. Hopefully this Sat will be the day!

I recently purchased a Beretta 92FS 9mm and have been shopping online for ammo. I will chiefly be using this pistol at the range. I was contemplating a 124 grain and found these online..........

Federal Cartridge 9mm Luger by Federal 9mm Luger, 124gr, Full Metal Jacket, (Per 50) - AE9AP

Has anyone had any experience with these? I wanted to be certain before I order a truck load. Thanks!

I've used several boxes of Federal and they worked well as have the WWB, UMC and Remington ammunition.