What is happening here?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it all depends on how it's presented.

Let's say I have an item for sale at a fair price. Someone sends me a message implying that my price is too high and they offer half that. I'd just ignore it.

OTOH I had a guy send me a message similar to this last time I had an item for sale: "You have this priced at $500. If you'd prefer a quick sale or if you drop the price later, I'd pay $350 for it." I didn't think that was bad at all. I told him thanks for the offer and I'd let him know if I decided to do something like that.

We have been around long enough to know that most people ask for more than the want for an item in hopes to get the price they really want if they get the asking price great, if they get the price that was offered they can be happy too. Just depends if the want to sell bad enough. Remember it's not personal it's business.

I think it's interesting that when people are SELLING they get pissed at low-ball offers, yet some of those same people are the ones that will bust your balls and try to buy something by throwing out crackhead offers...

(Im not talking about anyone specifically, just an observation)

That same guy that will beat a car salesman up for 3 days with hopes of buying a car and insuring the guy makes no money, or even LOSES money will be the one that overprices his 87 Civic 150% of its value, and gets pissed of someone tries to talk him down.

Normally if someone makes me an offer insultingly low on a firm priced item, I tend to just tell them pizzoff! It seems to be pretty effective so far. That said. I normally don't post my items with a firm price.

I don't think you're out of line Mike. Just wound up lol Like others have said, just don't respond. I think it's in our nature to want to get something for a great price, but haggling needs to be done right.

If you put up a Taurus 1911 for a Wilson Combat price, I'm not going to even reply. You'll figure it out eventually. Now if you put that Taurus up for retail and say "Firm" then I might send you a respectable offer. Hard to get upset with that.

I'm a researcher though. I like to do my homework before I offer. I offered a lower end offer on a bike today. Price is 3k, trade in is 1900. We'll see where 2200 gets me. :D If the owner is insulted it can sit there for another year lol

I'll second Rimmer Freak.

I've made a couple of lower offers on guns when I just didn't have the extra cash around.

I've also bought a few guns from here without any haggling done at all.

Bought one gun where the seller ended up offering me a lower price after I ended up buying a **** ton of accessories and ammo from a couple of his other ads. I guess it goes both ways :D

I think it's interesting that when people are SELLING they get pissed at low-ball offers, yet some of those same people are the ones that will bust your balls and try to buy something by throwing out crackhead offers...

(Im not talking about anyone specifically, just an observation)

That same guy that will beat a car salesman up for 3 days with hopes of buying a car and insuring the guy makes no money, or even LOSES money will be the one that overprices his 87 Civic 150% of its value, and gets pissed of someone tries to talk him down.

You sound like you've worked in a gun store before!

Mike, things have indeed changed a lot around TGO lately but it's just growing pains. Not all of it is good, it's just part of the process. I remember the first real growth pains early on and it was rather ugly around here for a little bit. A lot of folks disappeared :tough: until a medium of understanding was established. A lot of the new folks don't see the community aspect as much as many of us who have been here a while.