THoughts on the 40 s&w 135gr projectiles

Guest horjdyk

Guest horjdyk

I have heard in the past that for personal protection that the fast lighter bullets worked better. I have been doing some research on the Federal hst 135gr and they seem to perform like a charm. The expansion is better than some of the high dollar rounds I have tested. I also have heard that they reduce recoil if that is true it would help with follow up shots with a compact. Let me know your thoughts.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Law of Thirds

Lighter bullets go faster and open up sooner in general. Which can limit penetration to the point where it becomes an issue. They also don't deal well with barriers compared to higher weight bullets.

It's all about trade offs that you're comfortable with. I personally go for heaviest bullet in caliber for my carry ammo, while it means I might have a bit more recoil and it's not as screaming fast, they're also usually better penetrators.

For .40 s&w, I prefer the 165 grains. But as Law stated, it is all about what trade-offs you are comfortable with. To be honest, I never noticed THAT much of a difference in the recoil of the 180 and the lower grains. At least nothing worthy of note.

I've heard people downing 135gr .40 for under-penetrating, but I call BS. Take DoubleTap ammo, for instance. It is .043" larger than .357mag and weighs 10gr heavier while traveling just as fast at 1500fps. Nobody would ever argue that 125gr .357mag JHP's under-penetrated, since it has long been considered the "gold standard" for defensive handgun loads. But for some reason, well informed gun owners and shooters will down the 135gr .40. Go figure.

Guest Law of Thirds

Because you can't just look at weight. While it may weigh the same, the sectional density is VERY different. The higher sectional density, the more effective that round is at penetrating. So a 158g JHP in a .357 diameter is going to have a sectional density of .177, but a 155g .40 is only going to have a .138.

It's the difference between throwing a 1lb dart at someone's chest or throwing a 1lb flat disc.

I have heard in the past that for personal protection that the fast lighter bullets worked better.

Let me know your thoughts.

That’s not true. You can’t make general statements in ballistics any more than you can in any other kind of physics. A bullet can be too fast. We see that with 9mm’s all the time. If your bullet doesn’t expel all of its energy in the body; it’s not a good defensive round.

As “Law of Thirds†is pointing out; you have to look at everything like Mass, weight, velocity, surface area.

You also have to look at the application and your abilities.