Just double checking.

I just wanted to be sure of a couple of things.

1. It is OK to carry in a company vehicle as long as you follow all the laws and the company is ok with it, right?

2. It says on school property it is OK to have a gun as long as it stays in the vehicle, out of sight and is not handled. Does the HCP holder have to remain in the vehicle or can they leave the vehicle as long as the gun stays locked up in the vehicle and all above rules are followed?

I know the answer to the first one but someone has been giving me a little greif saying the company is liable if I mishandle the weapon and I am just looking for a little reassurance. The school thing is because sometimes I have to go on school property for my work. My wife and I work at the same place so I just lock it up in her car until I get back from the school. But, if I can keep it with me and just leave it in my vehicle that would be much better.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. It is OK to carry in a company vehicle as long as you follow all the laws and the company is ok with it, right?
Right, with HCP of course if loaded.
2. It says on school property it is OK to have a gun as long as it stays in the vehicle, out of sight and is not handled. Does the HCP holder have to remain in the vehicle or can they leave the vehicle as long as the gun stays locked up in the vehicle and all above rules are followed?
A non-student adult may have a gun in the vehicle, but way law is written, it's gray as to whether it may be loaded/ammo in vicinity or not. There are two almost identical paragraphs in 39-17-1309, the only diff is that the one that allows gun in vehicle does not mention going armed, for which there is no defense. So many interpret this part of the following part of the statute as referring to an unloaded weapon.

"39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property. —

© (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property."

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
cleaned up quotes

OS has it right...

Just to add about the company vehicle.....as far as any liability goes the law doesn't really address this, it doesn't alter any liability the company may or may not have. But as long as you have a HCP it is legal. Even if the company had a policy against it, it would be "legal".

Guest boatme99
Thank you, fellas. I hadn't thought about schools that way. The wording is a little shady so best not to take the chance. I don't think liability is a problem myself, this dude at work is just... well.... nuts.

Imagine that. It all comes down to the legislators passing nebulous laws to appease the sheepples and waiting for that "test case" to pop up to save their butts.