1. 1. Do you believe in UFOs?

• Yes, I do believe.
    • No, I dont.
    • I dont care either which way.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, there are UFO's. By definition, anything you don't recognize is unidentified. From the alien perspective, I'm firmly convinced that there is alternate life in the universe. Have they done fly-by's over Alabama trailer parks? I hope not, but that would explain why they didn't stop to chat.

Mac

I believe there are flying things that I have not been able to identify which would make them, by definition, Unidentified Flying Objects. Could they be meteors, airplanes, helicopters, satellites, weather balloons? Certainly. Just because I can't identify something doesn't make it mysterious or alien. So yes, I believe there are things flying around that I haven't been able to identify. Do I think that they are alien craft because I couldn't identify them? Absolutely not. But I can't prove they're not either.

I do believe though that we've traveled this road before.

This sums up my thoughts exactly...

if the earth has been visited in the past by other beings it sure would help explain a lot of things.

When I watch the History channel or Discovery and they do a story about the cave drawings. Sometimes I think they may have come around.

There is probably other life out there. But there is no alien ufos come around here.

Have they done fly-by's over Alabama trailer parks?

When I watch the History channel or Discovery and they do a story about the cave drawings. Sometimes I think they may have come around.

There is probably other life out there. But there is no alien ufos come around here.

so, by that, caves were the trailer parks of yesteryear?

Seems to me the point of this is "Do you believe in space aliens?".

Do I believe there is life on other planets? Absolutely. Our little galaxy is but an indescribable blip in the infinite universe. If the probers are flying around here they obviously are advanced far beyond our capabilities and are just sight-seeing. Most likely not being too impressed either.

Guest mosinon
Uh, I wrote that several years ago. Probably around 2000. Which explains its crappiness I suppose.

geeze, can't edit the post for some reason. Actually that was published in 2004

Uh, I wrote that several years ago. Probably around 2000. Which explains its crappiness I suppose.

No, actually it's surprisingly lucid. :tough:

Seriously, enjoyed it. It's a nicely balanced viewpoint about the odds of our contacting sentient life in the cosmos. Ever. Sagan was really quite the cock-eyed optimist.

And as you postulate, the barely humanly conceivable vastness of even the known universe make those odds also incalculably long. There is also the simple possibility that we are indeed alone in that regard -- while that seems "illogical", it is a perfectly valid formal premise unless proven otherwise. But the fact remains, and depressingly advocated by many a reputable astrophysicist, that the odds of reaching other life are impossibly long, even should there be a million planets with beings as "advanced" as our own.

In spite of all the seemingly more obvious "chariots of the gods" type "evidence" in cultures worldwide, the most compelling arguments for our having been visited in the past is in the simple development of what became homo sapiens; it really seems that some sort of intervention in the gene pool about 35,000 years ago would conveniently account for the incredible advance in brain power that allowed our planetary dominance, as Cro-Magon Man just too suddenly appeared to seemingly have done it within evolutionary discipline. And even possibly again perhaps 5-6 thousand years ago -- the sudden appearance of the Sumerian culture, the first known true society which in an historical sense appeared full blown overnight, also seems a logical fit for the possibility of extraterrestrial intervention.

Or sadly, not.

- OS

Guest mosinon
No, actually it's surprisingly lucid. ;)

Seriously, enjoyed it. It's a nicely balanced viewpoint about the odds of our contacting sentient life in the cosmos. Ever. Sagan was really quite the cock-eyed optimist.

And as you postulate, the barely humanly conceivable vastness of even the known universe make those odds also incalculably long. There is also the simple possibility that we are indeed alone in that regard -- while that seems "illogical", it is a perfectly valid formal premise unless proven otherwise. But the fact remains, and depressingly advocated by many a reputable astrophysicist, that the odds of reaching other life are impossibly long, even should there be a million planets with beings as "advanced" as our own.

In spite of all the seemingly more obvious "chariots of the gods" type "evidence" in cultures worldwide, the most compelling arguments for our having been visited in the past is in the simple development of what became homo sapiens; it really seems that some sort of intervention in the gene pool about 35,000 years ago would conveniently account for the incredible advance in brain power that allowed our planetary dominance, as Cro-Magon Man just too suddenly appeared to seemingly have done it within evolutionary discipline. And even possibly again perhaps 5-6 thousand years ago -- the sudden appearance of the Sumerian culture, the first known true society which in an historical sense appeared full blown overnight, also seems a logical fit for the possibility of extraterrestrial intervention.

Or sadly, not.

- OS

Thanks OS. That was quite controversial when it was published, people tried to get me fired for that bit

Y'know, if the human race really is the most intelligent form of life in the entire universe, then this plane of existence is a whole lot more pathetic than even I can imagine... and I have one helluva good imagination.

These supposed "aliens from another planet" obviously don't want us to know who they are or they would land on the White House lawn. They have the technology to fold time and travel vast distances, they can sneak in without showing up on radar. SO.......WHY DO THEY ALWAYS TURN ON THEIR LIGHTS AT NIGHT? Don't they know we can see them? Is their some kind of intergallactic FAA that says "All space ships must use their running lights at night when sneaking around Earth". Why don't astronomers

ever see UFOs? Why is it always some Goober living in a single wide out in the sticks? Ya know why? Because UFOs don't exist and ya know what else? Neither does Big Foot!