Shotgun Pistol grip question

Guest Grot

Lots of shotguns have pistol grips avaliable as aftermarket options or come with them installed.

Im interested in doing something like a birds head pistol grip.

Would this be legal?

Basically turning This:

shotgunj.jpg

Into something like this:

shotgunj2.jpg

Only questioning legality

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you chop up a good wood stock, look into a composite pistol grip. I say this because three trips to the range with a Mossberg 500 pistol grip made go out and buy a Hogue Overmold full length stock. The pistol grips look great in the movies and on TV, but I found a full stock a whole lot easier to handle.

Guest Jcochran88
Before you chop up a good wood stock, look into a composite pistol grip. I say this because three trips to the range with a Mossberg 500 pistol grip made go out and buy a Hogue Overmold full length stock. The pistol grips look great in the movies and on TV, but I found a full stock a whole lot easier to handle.

Shot mine once with 00buckshot with the pistol grip and that was once to many. I put it back in the range bag and as soon as I got home I put the factory stock back on.

Im going to try to find a Pistol grip, i shoot low recoil when i have the pistol grip, learned that lesson the hard way.

Edited by Grot

Legall yes as long as the barrel is 18" and the overall length is at least 26". A shotgun that was originally equipped with a shoulder stock must have a barrel of at least 18" to be legal.

If you start with a shotgun that was equipped with a pistol grip from the factory there is no barrel length requirement but there is a requirement for it to be at least 26" in overall length.

Dolomite

Guest Broomhead

I did this to my 870 Wingmaster and really liked it. That is what is left of the wood stock with an inner tube stretched around it.

IMG_0004-1.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0001-1.jpg

I have changed it back to a Black Warrior Pistol Gripped Butt Stock for the time being. The bird's-head style, along with most pistol grips, makes it impossible to use the sight with any effectiveness. You almost have to shoot from the hip or chest most of the time. I was able to safely, accurately, and effectively fire off eight, count them EIGHT, shells one handed in a row. With a pump-action shotgun. I will probably go back because I liked the compactness.

Edited by Broomhead
Guest Broomhead
Heres what i go so far.

chopedshotgun.jpg

Still working on it. need to find something to cover it/finish

Get some black paint and refinish the pistol grip and fore grip. Then, for added comfort and grip, stretch a piece of bicycle inner tube over the pistol grip, it will be tight. However, it will make a difference.