Tipping.

mav

ya know, I could spend a long time explaining this to you, and making you look like a fool. But judging by your other recent posts I can tell that you don't feel you are ever wrong and you refuse to accept the opinions of others on this board. I'm not real concerned though because I imagine you will be "on vacation" before too long.

By all means, feel free to correct me if you disagree with what I said. I've been wrong once or twice... today :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest conundrum for me comes in the instances where you can only tip cash and there is no way to add the tip to the credit card slip.

Which place(s) don't allow this? Most of them can go back and run it with the tip added as a function of most CC machines... at least I can't recall a place that couldn't.

I always tip well. Just like when selling something I try to give more than I receive. I found myself waiting tables briefly after leaving the army and that is some very busy work because you usually do way more than just waiting tables. I would also help to lock the place up just to get another five dollars.

My standard tip is 20%, more if I can get it past the wife. Sometimes the service is not so great, but I have been in their shoes and most days suck working in a resturant. Church people were the worst. They would eat up everything, complain about everything and then leave a one dollar tip for a table of six.

I always tip at Sonic also because those kids bust their humps with very few workers at certain hours.

Guest TheMikeLurie
Which place(s) don't allow this? Most of them can go back and run it with the tip added as a function of most CC machines... at least I can't recall a place that couldn't.

Sonic does not have a place on the receipt to add a tip. If you pay with a debit/credit card, there is no way to tip the server unless you carry cash. Golden Coral is another example, because you pay as you enter through the turnstyle when you get your tray. The Great American Buffett in Gatlinberg is the same way. The other examples I offered in my post were cable repair, HVAC repair, home repair, etc... any service that takes place in your home. There is no way to tip a service worker that comes to your home unless you keep cash.

Guest spoolie

Thanks to all the people that do believe in tipping, I drive a Limo and deal with so called "famous" people on a daily basis...I appreciate all the people that do tip in our industry.

I generally tip 20%+ for even decent service. As long as you keep my drink topped off and don't forget about me you're going to get a good tip.

My wife told me that tipping and how I treated the waitress was one of her ways of measuring me on our first date. Tipping 20%+ good. Figuring it in my head better. (I'm amazed how many people can't do that) Treating the waitress nicely figured heavily in my favor as well.

I love it when an industry dictates how much of your money you should spend. Kinda like the diamond industry saying a man should spend 3 months of his income on an engagement ring.

I see a lot of servers working really hard for their dollars and deserve to be treated respectfully and rewarded accordingly. However, it's been my observation that the well deserving has been on the decline. Furthermore, I will not be guilted into some industry standard reward method because someone with a pee pee entitlement attitude happened past my table.

After hearing all of this, I'm tempted to give up this engineering thing I've been doing for 30 years and become a waiter. It's apparently much more lucrative than I imagined.

Yea, they make a whopping 2.33 an hr. So without tips they arn't even making gas money.

Guest Drewsett
I see a lot of servers working really hard for their dollars and deserve to be treated respectfully and rewarded accordingly. However, it's been my observation that the well deserving has been on the decline.

Even as a server I would have to agree with this statement. I am constantly amazed at the poor service I see out there. I keep a text file in my smartphone where I always keep the names of good servers along with the restaurant. I have a very short list, unfortunately.

After hearing all of this, I'm tempted to give up this engineering thing I've been doing for 30 years and become a waiter. It's apparently much more lucrative than I imagined.

You get a spot at the right restaurant, you can make decent money. It's one of the best jobs out there for college students or supplemental income for young professionals (especially those who work for themselves or have a commission only income). There ARE waiters in places like NYC and Vegas that make six figures or close to it. I will definitely say this, the restaurant counts. 20% of 100 is 50% more income than 20% of 50. That's why the restaurant you choose matters. Professional and skilled servers migrate to the better restaurants.

Yea, they make a whopping 2.33 an hr. So without tips they arn't even making gas money.

2.33? Where is this? I only get 2.13!

Even as a server I would have to agree with this statement. I am constantly amazed at the poor service I see out there. I keep a text file in my smartphone where I always keep the names of good servers along with the restaurant. I have a very short list, unfortunately.

You get a spot at the right restaurant, you can make decent money. It's one of the best jobs out there for college students or supplemental income for young professionals (especially those who work for themselves or have a commission only income). There ARE waiters in places like NYC and Vegas that make six figures or close to it. I will definitely say this, the restaurant counts. 20% of 100 is 50% more income than 20% of 50. That's why the restaurant you choose matters. Professional and skilled servers migrate to the better restaurants.

2.33? Where is this? I only get 2.13!

Ok, ok. so I was off .20. Sorry, I honestly thought it was 2.33. LOL

Get the right place, the right shift, and a good personality, you can make a LOT of money working far less than "full time".

Guest Drewsett
2.15 here :D

That's what seniority gets you LOL

When they start having me bartend here I'll get a whopping 4.26. Although that could add up to $100 bucks a week or so before taxes, so at the very least it's like an extra shift.

I will say this, the gentlemen of TGO, at least the ones posting in this thread, all appear to understand the whole tipping thing fairly well. I'd say there is a much greater % of prototypical "good tippers" in this group than I see on a given day or hear about. I average between 18-22% on my weekly sales, so I do okay, but I hear about or see people stiff or leave 10% or less for a server who I know did a good job at least 10-20 times a night. It can be frustrating when it happens to you, especially when it's accompanied by the "verbal tip", where your guest tells you that you're the best waiter they've ever had. Erik88 I believe covered the "verbal tip" as well.

Interesting thread was interesting.

Edited by Drewsett

I usually tip generously, but it firmly tied to their efforts. If a server goes out of their way to

accommodate me, he or she is rewarded for their effort. Usually, it is much more than 20%.

However, if they are rude or just do a lousy job, it can be damned near zero.

I will say this, the gentlemen of TGO, at least the ones posting in this thread, all appear to understand the whole tipping thing fairly well. I'd say there is a much greater % of prototypical "good tippers" in this group than I see on a given day or hear about.

That's because you're talking to the men of the family... I'm betting our wives don't tip nearly as generously :P

Guest uofmeet

When i go out to eat, my tip is based on one main think. Drink refills. If you keep my cup filled, you will probably get a good tip. And here is why. The server puts in your order. Someone else makes it. and sometime someone else brings it to you. If the server put in the correct order, and the cook made it wrong, why should i punish the server. So thats why i base my tip on refills mostly. Because that is one of the servers main job i guess. But if i really have a VERY good server, i am not at all above giving the server extra tip and letting the manager know on my way out that he/she was an excellent server. Just the other day I tip $10 on a $30 tab.

Also, one time i did tip the cable installer some money because he dropped and ran a cat 5 cable.

If you don't like tipping EVERYONE, don't go to Jamaica. Otherwise, carry a big wad of $1 bills.

My wife and I went for our honeymoon. I was nearly broke before we got to the resort.

There was a guy getting your bags off the conveyor who wanted a tip ($2). There was another guy who carried them to the spot where they herded you onto the bus to your particuarly resort... he got a tip ($2). There was another guy who loaded the bags onto the bus who got a tip ($2, my last $1 bill). There was an attendant on the bus who brought you a drink ($10 for two $3 drinks, last $10 bill). The bus driver got a tip when he dropped you off ($5, last $5 bill). The bus attendant unloaded your bags and got another tip (I told him to split the driver's tip... he wasn't happy). The bell-hop at the resort carried your bags to the check-in desk wanted a tip (I told him I was out, but I'd tip him after I changed my travellers checks... he wasn't happy.). A different bell-hop carried your bags to your room (told him the same as the other... he also wasn't happy).

The resort itself had "no tipping" policy, but service magically changed from mediocre to excellent with the addition of a few $. They also allowed various vendors on the property and nearly everyone who did anything while off property wanted tips. That was about the only negative part... otherwise we really enjoyed it.

As for tipping at restaurants, typically 0 - 20% depending on the service. A good attitude can compensate for a slow kitchen. Very good or very bad service is pointed out to management. I don't normally tip other people unless I think they went above and beyond. I bring my own tools and install my own batteries and wiper blades. I'll give my barber a small tip when I get my Christmas haircut, that's about it.

About the tipping thing. At a sit-down restaurant I usually plan on tipping 15-20% more or less depending on the service mainly things like refills and bread/biscuits.

I work at Autozone part time and they tell us not to take tips. My rule of thumb is to refuse once and if they insist then I thank them and tell them to come back and see me for anything they need. We are paid hourly and start at minimum wage with yearly raises. I don't get upset when I don't get tipped, but one thing to keep in mind is we are doing a job that you would normally pay a mechanic upwards of $90 dollars an hour to do we are not trained and if you find one of us with some actual mechanical experience we are the minority. So thanks to the guy that tipped his Autozoner I hope he appreciated it and yes sometimes it is absolutely nice to get out from behind the counter.