Tipping.

mav

Are you a big tipper or so tight that once someone has taken a dollar from your hand they are only receive a blank piece of paper and you are left with a hand covered in green dye?

I went by Autozone this evening to get a battery for my car. I know Autozone as with other places will put in the battery free of charge. The guy who sold me the battery also put it for me since I did not have any tools with me. I tipped him $10 for 5 minutes of work. I thought that was pretty good, but I have to hear all about tipping too much when I get home.

Maybe it is just me, but I feel sort of cheap if I give someone a dollar or so tip for doing something for me. I have often got dirty scowls from lunch companions for leaving a $5 tip on a $10-15 lunch when they leave like $0.50.

I remember when I took my brother to play at Caledonia in Mrytle Beach, Fish Club. Nice course to play if you are ever in the area on vacation. At the end of the round, a caddy removed my clubs from the cart and start to scrub them clean. He then carried the clubs to my car. I gave him a $20 tip. The two things I remember from the incident was the look from my brother like I was on drugs, and the caddy's response, "I like your style."

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually tip around 20%, unless the service warrants less. Under $10 I will leave 3-5 bucks. I'm not ever leaving pocket change. Don't play golf but once a year, no caddy, and never thought about Autozone for one of their guys changing the battery, never had that done. Autozone guy did replace my wiper for me a few weeks ago in the rain, didn't even think about tipping, he just seemed happy to be out of the store and B.S'ing with me whilst having a dip, instead of inside. Guess I should have tipped.

Guest Bronker

I always tip 20%+, even if the service was sub-par. Crazy, I know. I have tipped 100% before. I have tipped 0% before as well, but my mindset has changed some.

I try to put myself in the person's position and consider the worst-case-scenario. One extreme is that they are just lousy at what they do, and/or just don't care. Well, they've got bigger problems in life lessons to come, and my rudeness doesn't need to contribute to it.

The other extreme could be that this is a single-mother who has 3 children at the baby-sitter, working her 'second' job and being harassed by the baby-sitter who has 'plans' and is angry with the mom for running a bit late. This was my mother-in-law at one time, and she has my respect for doing the right thing. Therefore, I can't justify making an assumption against her, so I just tip the same regardless.

I can't let my character wax and wane based upon the actions of another individual. If nothing else, I'm just consistent.

I tip servers in restaurants pretty well(15-20%) but nobody else. Servers make the lowest wages in the country and depend on tips. My mailman,carpenter, electrician, etc all make good money. I think tipping has gotten out of hand. Do you know that baggage "skycaps" at the major airports make over 6 figures on tips alone!That $2 a bag that they demand adds up.

When I was working, I made the car arrangements, loaded the bags, arranged the catering, served the catering, unloaded the bags, and never got a tip. Somewhere in there I managed to safely fly the airplane, day/night/bad weather.

So no, I don't tip many people. But that's just me.

I tip better then I used to and it started when I started going to better places to eat.

I tip around 20 percent.

I never really figured out sonic, I don't eat at sonic often. I kinda though of sonic as a place to tip but anytime I have offered a tip they kinda seemed confused, like it is not normal there.

I never thought about tipping at autozone either, but I see your point and will remember that.

I always tip food servers. If it is under $10, I leave $3. Over $10 at least $5, unless it was a high dollar meal at which I will tip a minimum of double the tax. If the service was exceptional, I leave an exceptional tip.

I have tipped other professions, but not often.

Several years ago I got off work one morning and went as I normally do to Denny's. I took my work shirt off and had a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off of it. This was about twelve years or so ago, when I was still in my rebellious youth stage. I am covered in tattoos, but back then I was also covered in piercings. I worked nights and went to school during the day. I normally had a couple hours to kill between work and class, so I would go to Denny's and do some work, or on occasion, as this one, read a magazine while I ate breakfast and had coffee.

The place was abandoned as usual, and only had one waitress working. As such they would seat all the patrons in a close area for better service.

This particular morning two women who could have been in their late thirties were seated adjacent to me.

While I will admit that my appearance wasn't exactly GQ, the statements the two women made were completely uncalled for. Eventually getting the attention of the waitress who came over to see what the problem was. The problem was me. The only other patron in the joint. They demanded a new table away from 'unsavory' company.

The waitress ripped them a new one.

I left her a $20 tip on a $5 meal.

I was sad when they closed that Denny's not long after.

I tip people all the time for helping me. If somebody takes time to help me do something, I tip them. It goes a long way with people and it makes me feel good to let someone know that I appreciate their work. I've worked in the service industry for a long time and dealing with people on that level day in and day out isn't rewarding like most work can be. It's not about the money, it's about showing people that you are appreciative.

As a server, I am typically a BIG tipper. On the flipside, if I receive crap service I won't tip for s**t.

Most of us servers do work hard for our money.

The way I see it, an extra dollar or two added to the tip isn't going to send me to the poor-house. However, when a good percentage of tables do leave that extra dollar or two (assuming the service was good), it makes a big difference at the end of the night. I usually tip around 20-25% on average, and believe me that's good tipping compared to what most people leave. I serve people all the time who run up $60-$70 checks and leave $3 for a tip. I don't think people do it maliciously, I think most people just don't think about it. It doesn't have much to do with the quality of service that they receive either. I think it's really just that people don't tip based percentage anymore. A lot of them seem to have a set tip that they leave no matter what. However, I always remember the folks who tip good. If I'm really busy and two tables need drinks, the customers who have tipped good in the past will get their drinks before the folks who tipped me $2 on a $60 tab the previous week.

That said, you know what goes a lot farther than a really good tip? Being nice (or even just being normal) and acting like a respectful adult. Almost anyone who works a low-pay, customer oriented job has to take a ton of crap off rude people all day everyday. No matter how amiable you are and no matter the fact that you give great service, everyday you deal lots of people who are just falsely entitled, cranky, socially awkward, and downright out of it. It's such a breath of fresh air to have tables who look you in the eye and don't act like you are bothering them by doing your job. Being friendly goes a long way, and we servers do remember our customers. I'm not saying that everyone should tip 40% and kiss their server's feet, but tipping even 15% and avoiding actions like whistling to get your server's attention will result in good service for you.

I really try to live by the golden rule. I don't tip people well because I have to or feel like I would look like a douche if I didn't. I do it for the same reason that I hold doors for people at the store and let people in front of me in lines when they look like they're in a hurry. It goes a long way to show others that there are still decent people out there. So many folks are so caught up in the insignificance of their daily activities that they forget to show others respect and kindness. Sure, most people don't even notice, but it makes me feel good so what's to lose? It still means something to me when someone helps me, so I try to do the same for others.

Edited by (BH)

How do you guys tip the people who cut your hair? I give the guy who cuts mine $5 on a $10 hair cut. I hate a barber who tries to talk or tell jokes when they are running those loud clippers beside your ear. This guys is straight and to the point, I sit down and don't even have to tell him anything. He knows what I want and the number guard I use without even asking. I'm in and out in about 10 min. which means a lot to me.

How do you guys tip the people who cut your hair? I give the guy who cuts mine $5 on a $10 hair cut. I hate a barber who tries to talk or tell jokes when they are running those loud clippers beside your ear. This guys is straight and to the point, I sit down and don't even have to tell him anything. He knows what I want and the number guard I use without even asking. I'm in and out in about 10 min. which means a lot to me.

I really dislike women barbers. They always want to jaw the whole time. I want you to concentrate on what you are doing not my personal life.

Tipping them depends on the cost. A lot of places give a military discount. I always give at least what a normal cut would have cost without the discount. A lot of times more though depending on how it went.

I most always tip 20% + I have tipped 100% before but never less than 10% I never know that if somebody just had a lot of people to serve and didn't get back to me or what but most times if they are a server, they aren't in the best financial shape and what's a few extra dollars to me most times

Guest Sgt. Joe

I do always go at least 20% and keep in mind that these people are working hard for the money they get and tips are a big part of it.

I tried once to tip the guy at AutoZone for putting in a battery when I didnt have a single tool with me, he refused and said they were not allowed? to accept tips, I tried to get him to take the 10 anyway but he wouldnt do it.

Pizza Drivers dont always get a full 20% but do get close as I have taken to paying with the debit card and adding the tip in to round up to an even dollar amount, last night even after waiting forever because I forgot to Pre-order for the ball game:rolleyes: I added in on the card and still handed the dude a five. I told him that I knew that he was being run crazy last night and he just smiled and said "Yea but I wish it was like this every night" I could tell the young man was about to drop from exhaustion but he was surprised to get any more tip as he knew it was figured into the price already.

I have been known to leave 10 bucks over a lunch, I am far from rich but like I said I realize these people are working rather low paying jobs. With pregnant waitresses I always tip very well and I make sure to hand their tip to them and then hand them some more for the Little One.

The folks at Sonic here also seem a bit shocked when I tip them, I do find that odd but at least they take it.

The looks of Gratitude from any of these people is Priceless.:up:

My mom was the Head or Waitress' Supervisor at the Holiday Inn in Cocoa Beach Fl when it was "THE" place to be in CB as it was about the only place to be. That is where the Original Seven always stayed when they were in town.

She always talked of the night that John Glenn (Yep the John Glenn) ordered a drink and told her to keep the change from a 100, since we are talking the mid 60's that was some tip and she never forgot it.:up:

all I can say is THANK YOU to everyone that has posted so far.

I've been working as a server since high school and all the way through college. Almost 6 years now. It's been a great job. I've learned a lot of patience and I'm pretty good under pressure now.

The most memorable bad tip I ever had was a guy that left me ZERO on a $160 tab. He paid with a credit card and didn't write a tip in on the slip. I searched the parking lot for a while for that dude. Glad I didn't find him though, like my job too much.

Best tip I ever got was from 2 guys that come in pretty often. Their bill was only $50-60 and I think they left me almost $40. Also got a $100 tip once but the tab was several hundred dollars.

Overall I usually average around %18-20 for the night.

I had a job interview last week, and the guy was really impressed that I've worked at the same restaurant for almost 6 years, considering how high employee turnover is in the industry.

I'm a very picky tipper. I base it on many factors though. I read an article a few years back about when to tip and how much. The general consensus for "food" industry stuff was on a scale from 5-20%. The idea that a small tip was an indicator of poor service and that anything over 20 was showboating.

I do tip people that I feel go beyond the basic nature of their job. When my washer was delivered and they removed the old one the 2 kids that did it were quick, polite, and very professional. They got 10 bucks each.

Oh, and I forgot to add a few points. I work in the bar area a lot, that's where the real $$ is.

If you decide to go out drinking and you sit there for a long time and have several beers, please leave more than $3-4. Even if your tab is only $15 dollars you have to keep in mind that when you hold my table up for hours and then only leave a few bucks, I actually LOSE money from you being there. Servers make money when they can turn a table several times. A good rule of thumb is to tip $1 per drink, especially if you set there all night.

Oh, and the jokes about the Sunday morning crowd are all true. The absolute worst tips come on Sunday mornings. I think because most people tithe %10 at church they decide to tip the same. I can't figure it out. But it's ok because they always make sure to leave me the religious pamphlets too :up:

I do always go at least 20% and keep in mind that these people are working hard for the money they get and tips are a big part of it.

Pizza Drivers dont always get a full 20% but do get close as I have taken to paying with the debit card and adding the tip in to round up to an even dollar amount, last night even after waiting forever because I forgot to Pre-order for the ball game:rolleyes: I added in on the card and still handed the dude a five. I told him that I knew that he was being run crazy last night and he just smiled and said "Yea but I wish it was like this every night" I could tell the young man was about to drop from exhaustion but he was surprised to get any more tip as he knew it was figured into the price already.

The folks at Sonic here also seem a bit shocked when I tip them, I do find that odd but at least they take it.

A good friend of mine's girlfriend works at a sonic and by the looks of it she gets tipped very well! I never really knew what to do when ordering at sonic as far as tips are concerned until she told me that they get paid 5.25/hr i think, might have been lower. But that really changed the way I tip them since.

I myself deliver for one of the big 3 pizza companies and last night was crazy. Not a good crazy either. I didnt take home much from basically 11a to 730p. Crappy night overall for myself. Store broke a sales record since it was built though. But I really wish people would keep in mind when they order how far away the store is and what events are going on at the time they order. I cant help it that people are getting their orders 2 hours after they order on a day like yesterday unless they ordered a day in advance. Some companies dont pay you much for your mileage and nothing for maintenance when you are using your own car. We have to deal with the crazies on the road and the weather conditions. And this is something that I will keep in mind whenever I may eat out or order delivery now.

She always talked of the night that John Glenn (Yep the John Glenn) ordered a drink and told her to keep the change from a 100, since we are talking the mid 60's that was some tip and she never forgot it.:up:

Wow, that must have been a really neat experience for your mom.

Overall when I am being served I tip according to their service and to the price of the meal. I have left no tip maybe twice because of very poor service. Other than that, if they take care of me, I will return the favor.

I always try to tip & be polite. I try to picture myself in their shoes. I used to work at Autozone and occassionally recieved tips, but was just happy to have a job & actually enjoyed the job. I like helping people. I remember getting a tip from a poor school teacher who barely had $2 to rub together. It didn't feel good accepting it, since I knew he was poor, but he insisted & I've never passed up a chance to help him when I could, even after hours. Then another time, I took part of my (unpaid) lunch break to drive down the road and give a jump start to a guy in a brand new Dodge dually. I wasn't looking for a tip, but didn't even get a thanks. He just rudely said "It sure took you long enough!", and then pulled out. Oh, well.

On the other side. I was in a restaurant once and at the end of a $14 + change, meal only had $20 in my wallet so I left it all to cover the tip. I went to the bathroom and on my way out heard the waitress make a comment about me being a cheap a$$hole & only giving her a $5 tip. It made me a little upset & I wondered what she would say if she knew it was my last $20. I was laid off at the time and didn't go out much, but still wanted to be generous. I remembered the 'Golden Rule' and let it go, but did request a different waitress the next time we were there. I later heard she was fired for being an a$$hole to another customer. What goes around...:up:

Edited by luvmyberetta
Guest BEARMAN

The unwritten definition of TIPS...To Insure Proper Service, at least that's what I've always been told.

Bad service = bad tip.

Good service = good tip.

Excellent service = excellent tip.

YMMV

On the other side. I was in a restaurant once and at the end of a $14 + change, meal only had $20 in my wallet so I left it all to cover the tip. I went to the bathroom and on my way out heard the waitress make a comment about me being a cheap a$$hole & only giving her a $5 tip. It made me a little upset & I wondered what she would say if she knew it was my last $20. I was laid off at the time and didn't go out much, but still wanted to be generous. I remembered the 'Golden Rule' and let it go, but did request a different waitress the next time we were there. I later heard she was fired for being an a$$hole to another customer. What goes around...:up:

wow, that's really rude. And that's a great tip! I'd be more than happy to receive $5 on a tab that small.

The unwritten definition of TIPS...To Insure Proper Service, at least that's what I've always been told.

Bad service = bad tip.

Good service = good tip.

Excellent service = excellent tip.

YMMV

Exactly. I've been a business traveler for close to 25 years. Unfortunately. the quality of service I receive has, in general, declined tremendously over the years. It's not uncommon today to get a server that acts like it's an inconvenience to take your order and goes it downhill from there. So does their tip. I've been known to put a big fat zero on the tip line on a credit card transaction then write "very poor service" at the bottom. In a case like that, I normally will seek out the manager to let them know exactly why I was unhappy with the service and who the server was and that the experience will likely prevent me from returning. There's too many people that need jobs to put up with servers that hurt your business. On the other hand, I'll also tip 20% to 25% for very good service and seek out the manager to report that as well. It works both ways.

Wow! Tipping the AutoZone guy.... that's a new one!

I used to deliver for Napa and never received a tip. Worked there for about a year before moving on to inside/outside sales and delivery guy for a large automotive specialty company. The 5 years or so that I worked there I never received a tip either. Occasionally I would get a candy bar or ice cream thrown at me from a lunch truck while at a shop. That was always nice.

Worked as a bag-boy as a teen and made excellent money from tips at that job. My best tipper was the owner of Lay-Row-Catch-a-Mellow BBQ sauce. He would tip 20 which was often more the what he would spend on his groceries.

As far as my tipping goes, I usually leave a 5 across the board. Barber, servers (places like Chilis, plus whatever the rest of my party leaves), etc..

A nice restaurant will receive more of coarse.

Places like Sonic, Starbucks, Ankars, etc. will not get a tip from me. I figure being handed a sack is not deserving.

ETA:

I once "talked":tough: to a girl that was a server at a buffet. She drove a new Lexus SUV at the time. She made an absolute killing on tips!

Edited by strickj