Nashville LDS Cannery?

have been reading a bit about LDS canneries as a cheaper alternative to buy in bulk and can your own storage foods. i saw a link, which i cant find right now, about there being a cannery in Nashville.

has anyone here utilized this facility? are they ok with non-members using it?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 65stang

I am completely shooting from the hip on this one, but I believe a member has to accompany you there. Couldn't tell you where or when I heard that but it sticks out in my mind now.

There's a cannery in Hendersonville at the Bishops Storehouse. It's dry pack only but we've done rice, sugar, and a few other things there.

I just called but there was no answer (closed on Monday I guess). I'll call again tomorrow and find out for you.

Guest Bronker
LDS=The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints=Mormon.

I've been to the cannery many times. It gets very fast paced there! Generally you have a block of time to work in, before another scheduled group comes in. It's very clean and the folks there are helpful.

Roger that. Thanks.

Guest 65stang
It is open to non members. You do not need to be accompanied by anyone. You do need to call them and order your stuff in advance.

Mike

Good to know. Don't know where I had heard that you needed someone to accompany you.

They are very helpful. If you are there alone or with just one other person, they will put you with a group that is doing a large order. Then you can learn as you go.

Say you want wheat. When the group starts canning wheat, just say you want 6 cans and start a box with your name on it. As it gets canned, just drop it in your box. The next table may be doing rice. Just tell them how many you want. So you really don't have to be with your product from bag to can. Just help out each other and every one will get what they came for. It's amazing how much food can be canned in a 2 hour block!

Here is a link to the "menu" for the cannery.

http://www.providentliving.org/pfw/multimedia/files/pfw/pdf/123005_BSS_HS_OrderForm_Jan2011US_ENG_pdf.pdf

Edited by Westwindmike
Guest Sgt. Joe

What about just ordering what you want and having it shipped or even coming to pick it up or must one be part of the process?

Those "customer packed" prices do look rather reasonable but I am over 100 miles away.

If someone has a number I will call them myself and see what the deal is on that.

You have to go there and can it yourself. If you just ordered it, they would have to hire someone to can your food. There are plenty of commercial places on the web to order food.

People drive from as far away as Atlanta and Memphis to can their food. You have to can enough to make it worth the drive. These groups that come in from far away like that will take away a truck load of food.

Edited by Westwindmike
there is 20-35lb bags in the bulk column on the list provided above. im guessing that means you can pick up bulk as asked above? probably wouldnt be able to get it canned without being there im assuming.

Correct, you can buy the bulk items and then just walk over and can it yourself. Just track the cans and lids you use and then go pay for it all.

Most of the time you'll show up and people will be there canning something. You just help out wherever you're needed, then add cans to your pile as you go and then pay for it before you leave.

And don't worry when someone calls you "Brother broylz". It's common for us Mormons to call each other Brother or Sister . . :P

The phone number is 615-822-5584

• 2 weeks later...

What I do is go in and buy sacks of wheat, rice, etc, and throw the sacks in the car. I then buy some mylar bags, and oxygen absorbers and pack it at home at my own pace. You can seal the bags with a clothes iron to boot.

I introduced a friend of mine who is not a member of the church to the cannery. He was intimidated to go by himself at first, he thought they were going to preach to him or something, but now he's on a first name bases with the volunteers, he loves going. I think he's worked his way up to 9 months of food for two people now.

Tiny G, let me know if you decide to go, I'll roll with you guys and help can.

• 5 months later...