National Park Carry in TN

I have been watching the boards for quite a while but this is my first post. What a wealth of information you guys are.

Went to a national battlefiled in East TN this weekend. I was thinking National Parks were okay to carry in now for a CP holder, but I was surprised to see a gun buster sign on the door of a visitor center. Okay for a CP holder to carry in a national park in TN, .....just not in a posted federal building such as a visitor center, right?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You pretty much have it right. Carry in National Parks follows the rules of the state in which it is located. But buildings where federal employees regularly work, like visitor centers, are off limits. A separate building like restrooms would be OK.

Don is right. While carry in National Parks is legal, carry in Federal Buildings is still illegal. So many of the buildings in a National Park are still off-limits. However all Federally owned buildiings are supposed to be marked that they are such and that carry is illegal.

what about building in a state park. I went to Ft. Loudon a few weeks ago and I went into the little museum/visitor center and later I wondered if it was illegal to carry there?

And when I was at Norris Dam this summer I drove up to the campground and they had signs that said "no firearms". I wasn't sure if that applied to permit holders or not?

You can carry in any state park and the buildings are not off-limits. Any "No Firearms" signs do not apply to permit holders.

The law that allowed carry in state parks said these signs must stay in place. This was done because if the signs had to replaced etc... it woud have cost the state money and the bill/law would likely have been defeated because of the fiscal note.

what about building in a state park. I went to Ft. Loudon a few weeks ago and I went into the little museum/visitor center and later I wondered if it was illegal to carry there?

And when I was at Norris Dam this summer I drove up to the campground and they had signs that said "no firearms". I wasn't sure if that applied to permit holders or not?

Buildings in a state park should be state buildings, under state law the entire park is legal, I think that would include all the buildings in said park. Also from the wording of 39-17-1359, those buildings can not be posted.

You also can’t carry in the caves of national parks. When I went to Mammoth Cave NP, the caves were posted.

I am not an expert

however, since that is KY

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/kentucky.pdf

"No Firearm" signs in Kentucky have no force of law unless they are posted on property that is specifically mentioned in State Law as being off limits to those with a Permit/License to Carry. If you are in a place not specifically mentioned in the law that is posted and they ask you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse to leave then you are breaking the law and can be charged. Even if the property is not posted and you are ask to leave you must leave. Always be aware of the possibility that responding Police Officers who may have been called without your knowledge and may not know the laws on trespass etc. could arrest you even if you are within the law.

Carry In State Parks/State & National Forests/WMA/Road Side Rest Areas

Carry Allowed in these Areas:

State Parks: YES KY St Park Regs.

State/National Forests: YES

WMA’s: YES 01 KAR 3:010.

Road Side Rest Areas: YES

You also can’t carry in the caves of national parks. When I went to Mammoth Cave NP, the caves were posted.

That is interesting. I wonder under just what justification the National Park Service bans carry there?

Haven't been there myself, but I'm guessing that some structure is built over the cave entrance, so that they claim that the whole shebang is a "building"?

They also ban carry on tour buses within the park, though:

Mammoth Cave National Park - Firearms-Prohibited Areas at Mammoth Cave NP (U.S. National Park Service)

- OS

Ohshoot, I was there several years ago, I think in 2003. The Mouth of the cave was open and we had to walk down a path to the cave entrance I believe.

I was not concerned about carry back then, nor did I look for signs either then.

However there are several entrances as well and we did not visit them all by any means. I know one we did not stop that appeared to enter from inside a building.

Here is one of the entrances. I believe this is the big one we went in.

Mammoth_cave.JPG

Ohshoot, I was there several years ago, I think in 2003. The Mouth of the cave was open and we had to walk down a path to the cave entrance I believe. I was not concerned about carry back then, nor did I look for signs either then....

You couldn't carry in any part of any National Park then.

All the more reason to wonder just how the NPS is able to legally bar carry in the cave.

Seems would be the same as banning carry above a certain altitude in the Smokies.

- OS

I was at Carlsbad Caverns last year and it was my understanding you weren't supposed to carry in the cavern. Something about the workers being in there or something like that.

Well, I guess they are claiming it's a "Federal Facility" then, though it doesn't seem a perfect legal fit to me.

"The term "Federal facility" means a building or part

thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal

employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing

their official duties."

There is no more detailed part of either the no carry in federal buildings law or the national park carry law.

- OS

Well, I guess they are claiming it's a "Federal Facility" then, though it doesn't seem a perfect legal fit to me.

"The term "Federal facility" means a building or part

thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal

employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing

their official duties."

There is no more detailed part of either the no carry in federal buildings law or the national park carry law.

- OS

Hmmm, well that definition could fit. There were rangers down there to help guide/answer questions. Also a souviner shop at the base of the elevator. If you take the elevator down you have to go through the visitors center first anyway.

Fallguy may have hit the nail on the head about souviner shop and rangers. It was so long ago I don't fully remember the layout.

Maybe had to pass though a Federal building to get to the cave. Posted just because it is on the wrong side of a federal building maybe.

Perhaps the cafeteria in the Snowball Room in Mammoth is considered a federal building. If you're on a tour that passes through it there's no avoiding it.

Though no longer valid, many of the trailheads in the Smokies still have gunbuster signs. They sure don't bend over backwards letting people know when the law changes in favor of 2A.

Perhaps the cafeteria in the Snowball Room in Mammoth is considered a federal building. If you're on a tour that passes through it there's no avoiding it.

Though no longer valid, many of the trailheads in the Smokies still have gunbuster signs. They sure don't bend over backwards letting people know when the law changes in favor of 2A.

The test I guess will be when those signs are replaced as part of normal wear and tear if they remember to leave off the gunbusters