Background check fee

Guest nicemac

Guest nicemac

I went with my dad this weekend to buy a handgun in KY. He filled out he background check form and they checked him out. All was fine, he bought his gun and we went home. I looked at his receipt and noticed they didn't charge him for the background check (as they do here). I said "Huh, they forgot to charge you for the background check."

My brother-in-law was with us and said "Charge for the background check? No shops around here CHARGE for the background check."

I have bought a dozen guns in the past few years. I have had to pay for the background check in every shop I have ever been in. My B-I-L has bought just as many guns in and around Louisville and said he had NEVER paid for a background check.

Is this something that shops charge that they are not charged for, or does the state (of TN) charge them and they just pass it on?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In Tennessee, it's all about revenue generation, The state charges $10 per purchase transaction. Most establishments just pass this cost onto you. If you buy more than one weapon during a transaction, it's only one background check fee. In Georgia, if you have a ccp, concealed carry permit, they don't even run a background check. Just show your ccp at time of purchase. Once again, you're in Tennessee. It's all about the money

;)

Guest nicemac

I remember my grandfather years ago talking about someday you would have to pay for WATER. When TN figures out how to charge for AIR, I am sure they will do that too.

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

THey use such things to make up for the money not taken in by income tax. I prefer it this way, as we pay for what we use rather than paying a huge chunk of our money for things we do NOT use. If I do not buy a gun, I don't pay this tax/fee. That is how all services should work, IMHO.

THey use such things to make up for the money not taken in by income tax. I prefer it this way, as we pay for what we use rather than paying a huge chunk of our money for things we do NOT use. If I do not buy a gun, I don't pay this tax/fee. That is how all services should work, IMHO.

So, you're good with paying our high sales tax (that makes up for the lack of income tax BTW) AND another tax on top of that for a free service? Interesting.:rolleyes:

BTW - the way you "make up" for an unconstitutional tax (income) is by spending less. Not inventing double taxation systems.

So, you're good with paying our high sales tax (that makes up for the lack of income tax BTW) AND another tax on top of that for a free service? Interesting.:rolleyes:

BTW - the way you "make up" for an unconstitutional tax (income) is by spending less. Not inventing double taxation systems.

I would rather have a sales tax any day. As for that TICS fee, they shouldn't be charging it, period.

I would rather have a sales tax any day. As for that TICS fee, they shouldn't be charging it, period.

I agree.

I can also tell you that as of the last check we ran on Sunday there have been 25161 background checks run in TN. That's just since Jan. 1. That would equate to roughly over 3 million a year.

I am. I'd rather pay a consumption tax for the services I use rather than get taxed for everything. If I don't buy a gun, I don't pay the tax. Just like the person that doesn't drive a car, doesn't pay a gas tax. When I lived in Illinois, I paid a county property tax. However when I lived in NY, I paid county property tax and school tax... even though I didn't have kids in school. Is that fair??? Oh... in Illinois, I didn't pay a background check fee... but I did have a 5 day waiting period before I could pick up the gun! :screwy:

I am. I'd rather pay a consumption tax for the services I use rather than get taxed for everything. If I don't buy a gun, I don't pay the tax. Just like the person that doesn't drive a car, doesn't pay a gas tax. When I lived in Illinois, I paid a county property tax. However when I lived in NY, I paid county property tax and school tax... even though I didn't have kids in school. Is that fair??? Oh... in Illinois, I didn't pay a background check fee... but I did have a 5 day waiting period before I could pick up the gun! :rolleyes:

Your missing the point. The TICS fee IS a double tax. Same thing.

Your missing the point. The TICS fee IS a double tax. Same thing.

The FBI is free, the TBI is not. Now, I don't know how you could be a felon and show up on one and not the other. And as far as I'm concerned, if you have a HCP, the TICS should be waived. But I don't think I'm missing the point... you pay taxes for services. If you don't like it, write a letter to the governor. Now, I haven't lived in all 50 states, but I have lived in 7 and i have yet to find utopia..... TN isn't perfect, but it's a whole lot better than the other 6 I've lived in. IMHO

As of 3:20 PM there has been 25741 guns sold in TN. Given that number you could sestimate around 3 million dollars a year.

Great, thanks, didn't realize FFLs could see a running state total -- well, that qualifies as "millions" for sure. And that's only guns through FFLs.

If the feds seriously try to end the "gun show loophole", which of course has no more to do with gunshows than anywhere else, I almost wonder if TN wouldn't go along with it, just to get all that extra revenue it's not seeing through private sales.

- OS

So, you're good with paying our high sales tax (that makes up for the lack of income tax BTW) AND another tax on top of that for a free service? Interesting.:lol:

coming from Kommifornia ...

Sales Tax: 9.75%

STATE Income Tax: Can go as high as 10.3%

Fed INCOME Tax: Just like any other state

Vehicle Registration: ATLEAST $300 .... Many times much more

When everything is said and done ... Upwards of 50-60% of what you make is gone right off the bat ....

Living in TN, Sales Tax is less, there is no state income tax, and car registration is $80 bucks .... I don't plan to move any time soon.

I would rather see consumption tax implemented over income tax. Why tax those that decide to save & strengthen banks .... it just makes no sense to me.

Guest Sgt. Joe

But just how much would they lose if they did like other states and allowed those with permits to be spared the TICS fee? Someone mentioned GA, I believe it is the same in FL also. Permit= No Instant check fees.

Or maybe only do the check for permit holders once a year or even every six months.

But rather than see some other Tax or an increase in sales tax I will be happy just to keep paying the 10 bucks.

As I understand it one can buy up to six weapons with one check. I could be wrong but it seems that is what my sales guy told me, not that it is likely to ever be the case for me to be buying six at a time.

But just how much would they lose if they did like other states and allowed those with permits to be spared the TICS fee?

See above. Around $3Million

Then again, they wouldn't have to fund/man that part of the state operation, either.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
As of 3:20 PM there has been 25741 guns sold in TN. Given that number you could sestimate around 3 million dollars a year.

i am DEFINITELY in the WRONG business ....

25,741 in 38 Days ?!?!?! 247,249 handguns just sold in TN per year ....

wow .... speechless .... time to buy a machine shop!

Guest Sgt. Joe
See above. Around $3Million

Then again, they wouldn't have to fund/man that part of the state operation, either.

- OS

I agree that they would lose most of it but not everyone who buys a gun has a permit, there are lots of hunters that I know who buy long guns regularly but have no desire to carry so they dont have permits. Other folks simply want a gun for their home and wont ever obtain a permit.

Maybe there are not enough of those folks to support the operations of that part of the agency and it is us permit holders buying the bulk of guns sold each day.

Like I've said before we could have things better here but we sure could have them worse too. What we have aint that bad when compared to the worst of states.

Guest Sgt. Joe
i am DEFINITELY in the WRONG business ....

25,741 in 38 Days ?!?!?! 247,249 handguns just sold in TN per year ....

wow .... speechless .... time to buy a machine shop!

Speaking of wild numbers; I have been listening to my scanner and a week or so ago I noticed that the CR (case report) numbers that were being given out were nearing 3000, they start over each year. That day I calculated that our PD was writing 80 reports a day!.......These are only calls that actually result in a report needing to be written and not every call that they go on. I sure am grateful for those guys in Blue, I would rather go back to war than do what they do each day.

80 "reports" a day in a city of a bit over 60K people....no wonder we always rank so high on crime reports.

Sorry for the side trip....back to permit fees.....

I agree that they would lose most of it but not everyone who buys a gun has a permit,..

Oops, I admit I missed the point of your conjecture, skimmed it too fast, sorry.

But the ultimate point is still: why why would the state choose to lose ANY revenue it is currently receiving?

Especially since it is basically a "luxury tax" -- unlike a general sales or income tax, it isn't even on the radar for most TN residents. Neither is the dime/box ammo tax (although at least that apparently goes to a better purpose).

- OS