USP Compact Review

9teeneleven

So, I found myself without a primary carry gun. I was looking hard at the 10mm Glocks and stopped by Bill's Outpost in Alcoa to see if they had any in stock. All they had at the time was the full sized Glock 20, which I found to be massive and simply too big in my hand. I had resolved to by a SF Glock 20, and have it transferred when I spotted a used USP Compact in .40 that had just been traded in. I've owned a few HK guns in the past: a Full sized USP and a P30. I liked both enough, but had sold them along the way. However, I'd never seen or held a USP compact in person. My first impression was how much slimmer it was than the full-sized USP. The grip is often criticized as being blocky, and while the USPc is certainly no P30, I found the grip to be very comfortable, and the gun points very naturally.

The gun dates to 1996 and came with 3 mags. The only hitch was that they are ban mags so are limited to 10 rounds. The USPc has two varieties of floorplates, flat or extended for the pinky finger. While I don't prefer pinky extensions on any compacts, I found that on my old Glock 26 the pinky extension actually served a purpose. On the USPc, however, the pinky extension is superfluous because the grip is big enough to fit my whole hand (I've got medium to large hands). I've since ordered a 12-round magazine, but they are expensive at around $40 after shipping.

The feature that I've always liked on the USP series is the ability to have a safety and decocker in the same spot. It looks like HK has made this lever more ergonomic on the newer models. On the USPc the lever does hurt a little while firing if you use a thumbs over safety grip like a 1911, but not onerously so. The FNP/FNX have a similar design, and while some reviewers have commented that you can decock the USP while firing, I can't get it to do so. The decock function simply occurs too far down the lever's travel. In contrast, this was a constant problem for me on the FN series pistols.

HK triggers have always been among the worst offerings in my opinion, and one of the weak spots on otherwise very well thought out pistols. The problem got worse with the introduction of the rear mounted decocker on the p2000 and P30 guns. While the trigger on this USPc is not in W. German SIG territory, it is the best trigger I've found on an HK. The creep is minimal, and the break crisp in SA. The DA pull is smooth and consistent. Though I've only put a few hundred rounds through the gun, I've been able to shoot it very accurately. Much more so than my old USP full sized. The recoil is a bit stiff, but I chalk that up to me only shooting handloaded 9mm plinking loads for the last few months.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this pistol, and will soon be adding a 357sig barrel which is a straight drop in conversion. The gun has some minor holster wear, but judging by the barrel wear I would bet that less than 200 rounds have made it down the pipe. I will soon be only a one handgun man, and I'm confident that this USPc is the best gun for the job.

Edited by 9teeneleven
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bubruins

I am much more accurate with the USPc .40 than the fullsize USP .40, also. The grip size made a huge difference for me. I'm keeping my USPc as my only handgun at the moment, too. There have been several times that I've wanted to switch to something like a 1911 or a G23 + mods, but I can't convince myself that I'll get a better balanced pistol for the money.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to add that I've got nothing but good things to say about Bill's Outpost. In my experience there, they have by far the best customer service around. I've bought three guns from them and have done 4-5 transfers. They are always very helpful, and seem genuinely thankful for transfer business; they also have the best transfer prices around. Customer service is most important for me and the store has always made me feel welcome.

I also got to spend quite a bit of time with the USP compact at the range tonight. I am really sold on this gun. The trigger is really crisp, especially compared to other HK guns I've owned. I took it and my new M&P 9mm, and I was shooting this gun much better. As i mentioned in my recent M&P review, is gun has made me think that the whole ergonomics trend is a bit overrated. This gun is a bit of a square brick compared to more recent entries in the hanpndgun market, but it still shoots great and feels nice in the hand. This is a keeper.

Edited by 9teeneleven
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest rebeldrummer

all the good things about Bills Outpost are true....awesome guys, awesome selection. I recommend you stop in when you get a chance

Guest snaxwell

Glad that you are enjoying your USPc. I have one in 9mm, but it is pretty much the same gun.

I agree that the grip on the compact is just about perfect(at least for me). It is the most natural pointing pistol that I own. The front sight is just always "there" when I bring the pistol up.

The trigger needs serious break-in. I would say 1000rds is about right. :pleased: That is an HK pistol's virtue. The guns are made for a 20,000rd service interval. Don't worry about working on it or fixing anything on it. Just shoot the crap out of it!

I have really wanted to shoot a P30. What did you dislike about the one you had?

Edited by snaxwell

You'll really enjoy the .357 sig once you get the barrel. I have had my USPc since 2000 and it is great.

I've been debating on getting a .40 cal barrel or start hand loading for the .357sig because of the

expense.

On the trigger, I have gotten great compliments on my trigger as well. Most that have shot it too have been

surprised.

I would like to get a USPc in 9mm so I could shoot cheaper. Money just is too tight right now. ;(

Congrats on a great gun!! :)