Savage 110 Long Action Scope Mounting

I'm trying to install a BSA 3x9x50 scope on a Savage 110 .223 long action bolt gun. Has anyone done this set up, and if so can you recommend the less expensive combination of rings and mount? It looks like it may take extra high rings to clear the 50mm bell on the front of the scope, and it looks like it may take off-set rings to position the short barrel of the scope over the long action of the ejection port. Any help in the Murfreesboro area is greatly appreciated. Thanks. cjwaa1@msn.com

Edited by Sidewinder
To add email address
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is confusing. A three digit Savage model number means it's a long action. but a .223 is a short action round. Are you sure you don't have a model 10?

Otherwise pull up EGW (Evolution Gun Works.) Look at their pickle scope rails. Weaver style rings works on them but you have far more slots to choose from. = Lots of mounting options.

EGW Savage RB (Round Back) Picatinny Tactical Rail Scope Mount - $39.99 : Evolution Gun Works , World Class Precision Parts

If you need help I do gun work and am by that way often for pick up.

Tres

I'll jump in here for Sidewinder since he is not on tonight. I've seen this 110. It is a factory, long action, .223, model 110. It is my understanding that both long and short cartridges were put in the long action before Savage decided to build the model 10. Then the short ones went in there and the long cartridges stayed in the 110.

I have a 110 in 25-06 that has the same type of scope situation as Sidewinder. The previous owner of mine used Weaver "extended" rings to set the scope further to the rear. In Sidewinders case, he probably needs the same type of rings. A one piece rail would work well too, just more expensive.

Maybe Sidewinder will jump in here in a few minutes.

TresMon, before the Savage management change over in the 90's all Savages were 11X's, 110, 112, 114, 116, ets, regardless of whether the caliber was a short action or long action. It is when they did their change they actually seperated the two and made dedicated short (model 10) or long (model 110) actions for the various calibers. I am not an expert but I have had a lot of experience with Savages. I use them to build all of my projects because they are easier for me to do this at home without the need of a smith. We have met at the Volunteer Rifle Range a few times. The last time I was out there you spotted for me as I was having rounds fly apart from too much twist and too much velocity, nothing like a gray mist of lead as the bullet disintegrates. You have a 700 you were breaking in next to me or at least I believe that was you.

If it is a long action 110 in 223 I'll assume it is a early flat back model rather than the newer round back models. With that being said one peice bases are pretty much non-existent for flat back Savages. It won't have the Accutrigger either.

If it does have the round back, I seriously doubt it, then the EGW bases mentioned above are about the best inexpensive base there is. Because it is a full rail it allows a lot of leeway in where the rings are placed. Pretty much the best of the best for Savages are the Ken Ferrel bases but I am not sure they make then for the flat back receivers.

Although I can't confirm this but I have been told that Remington 700 bases will work on the flat back Savages because the Remington's have a flat back as well. This might give you a few more choices but the spacing will be different between the front and rear so a one piece base is out of the question.

Extra tall rings are likely going to be too tall, I would look at the tall bases first. And if you use a one piece rail you can probably go with medium bases because the one piece rails add a lot of height.

Dolomite

Thanks TresMon, Westwind Mike, and Dolomite for your input. This rifle is in fact a Savage 110 chambered in .223. It is also flat on the back/top of the receiver. I'm trying to make this thing into an inexpensive varmint gun. I've seen Westwind Mike's 25-06, and his has a round top receiver. Maybe I need to look around for some Remington 700 bases to see if they'll work. I'm trying to not get too deep in this gun in expenses, as I'm keeping my eye out for a Savage Model 10 in .223 to replace it. Thanks for all of the help guys.

If you want an inexpensive gun look at the Stevens 200's. They are identical to Savages except they do not have the Accutrigger. They can be bought everyday for $319 at Gander Mountain and Academy Sports has them on sale a few times a year for $179. There is also a version with a 26" varmint barrel that runs in the $399 range if I remember correctly. Another great thing about the 200's is that because they are made by Savage all the aftermarket or factory parts will drop right in. I use Steven 200's as a basis for my builds so having a lot of aftermarket parts is a great bonus. And finally the best part about Stevens/Savages is that they are very user friendly. I can swap a barrel in about 10 minutes. If I have to swap the bolt head it takes another 10 minutes but I can have a completely different gun in 30 miuntes without the use of a gunsmith. I often call them the 10/22's of the centerfire world.

If you plan on doing any type of upgrades avoid the Axis or Edge despite how appealing the price is. There is absolutely no aftermarket support for them. They do seem to shoot well for most and Savage will stand behind them but I just can't leave anything alone so they are not an option for me.

Dolomite

Thanks for the tip information Dolomite. My first shotgun was a single barrel 12 gauge Stevens way back in the early 50s, and I've been impressed with the Stevens/Savage line ever since. I've read on the various forums that the "Savage" guys change out barrels and bolt heads like most of us change out socks! I also have a Savage model 10 in .243, with the Accu-Trigger, and like that feature a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone that offered their knowledge about this problem. I bought a set of offset scope rings at the gun show, and now my scope is installed and bore sighted... thanks to Westwind Mike. Now, all I have to do is zero it in at the range, and I'll be ready for some varmint action next season.