Any of you wear "covert casual" shirts?

Do any of you wear the "covert casual" type shirts made by 5.11 and others? Just curious if they really do help conceal a weapon better than a normal button down shirt. To me it seems like the heavier weight fabric of some and the mesh interior of others might help with printing like they advertise, but I'm not real sure.

Opinions and experiences are appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I wear one pretty much every day. Found them on LA Police Gear on sale/closeouts. According to the wife, even my full size 1911s don't print.

The can get a bit warmer than a regular shirt, but nothing too bad. The lighter green color (not sure what they call it) seems to wrinkle where the black and read ones don't.

5.11 Tactical Covert Casual Shirt S/S 71170 plus FREE SHIPPING.

Yes. I wear one pretty much every day. Found them on LA Police Gear on sale/closeouts. According to the wife, even my full size 1911s don't print.

The can get a bit warmer than a regular shirt, but nothing too bad. The lighter green color (not sure what they call it) seems to wrinkle where the black and read ones don't.

5.11 Tactical Covert Casual Shirt S/S 71170 plus FREE SHIPPING.

Thanks guys. I wanted to make sure it wasn't just a lot of hype before I ordered a couple. I'm looking ahead to the summer and would like to be able to carry concealed OWB if possible, so hopefully these will help.

All:_____________

Here is a "real" man's covert carry shirt: 573.47.jpgLink here: 573.47 / 573.49 Key Hickory Striped Logger Shirt Pullover, Long Sleeve, Folded Pack; Colors- Firm Hand and Garmet washed.

Note the size range and the price. I heartily recommend them ---- especially for the "full figured" older guy. It looks lots better than them wimpy jungle print shirts.

Very rustic and useful.

Rotund leroy

How does the sizing of these shirts compare to a normal button down shirt? For instance, if you wear a large normally should you order an XL so you have room for your weapon or stick with the large?

If you wear a large, get a large. My pants size correctly, but my shirts are pretty big, thus helping with concealment. You might even buy one and see if it's too big for your tastes.

Guest VolGrad

I've owned a couple of different brands of "covert" shirts. The last were 5.11 but I can't recall what I tried before that.

Sadly, they didn't work for me.

The first brand had the top buttons (button down s/s shirts) placed so far I either had to wear a white t-shirt under them (which looked goofy) or show everyone my hairy chest. They were just styled really odd IMO. I sold them on another forum.

The 5.11s were really nice shirts. I tried them on quickly in the store just to make sure the shoulders fit and noted where the buttons were placed. Unfortunately, I didn't how long the shirts were. They were so long it looked like I was wearing some sort of jacket. They were also cut too snug around the waistline to the point it actually made me print worse than any normal shirt. I sold these too at half price, unworn. That was an expensive lesson as I paid $50 each. Sold for $50 shipped for both. Yikes.

The material was thicker on both brands and in theory this might help reduce printing but I found it also caused them to "hang" weird. In the end it looked less natural than wearing any old shirt. Fact is, most people now have bulges on their belt from a phone, camera, iPod, etc. People really don't think "gun" when they see a print. I have gone back to wearing whatever I would normally wear and don't sweat it.

PS I also didn't like all the "clever" hooks, false buttons, magnets, clasps, velcro, side cuts, etc. on the covert shirts. I think they over-complicated things.