Ka-Bar Becker Combat Utility - an Unintentional Review

So a friend of mine calls me the other day and says "hey, your new knife will be here in a few days".

Uhhh... my new knife?

"Yeah, I ordered us both some new knives."

Uhhh... thanks? :dropjaw:

So it gets here, and evidently this is what I purchased: Ka-Bar Becker Combat Utility Knife. Came with a sheath the length of a yard stick, and had another little knife stored in there too.

I figure since I didn't really *want* this (as in, I didn't think I like it it *then* buy it), it's the perfect opportunity to give an honest review. So over the next week or so, I'll post up some pics, my general impression, and try to beat the snot out of it.

Since I did actually pay for it (great friend, right? :D ) I won't totally try to destroy it, but I will go ahead and use it and abuse it as a "combat utility" knife - IMHO - should be used and abused.

To start off, specs from Ka-Bar's website: https://www.kabar.com/product/productDetail.do?productNumber=BK7&mode=category&categoryId=1,2,3,7&categoryName=Military/Tactical

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you manage to pan anything but the sheath, you'll be about the first one to do so. :dropjaw: But will look forward to your own review.

Only way I can see knife itself improved is with the optional Micarta scales Which cost half as much as the BK7 itself!

- OS

I will give it that - this knife is built like a tank!

It is all of that.

The sheath is nifty for holding the secondary knife and also having room for a survival tin or whatever, but the plastic insert deal sux, since there's no retension and it rattles. Folks generally cut a thin plastic shim and run it down in there to shim knife, or get more serious and get the insert out somehow and heat/form it around knife (though it's not Kydex AFAIK) and stick it back in with glue. There are several custom sheath makers who offer a good snug fit Kydex sheath for the BK2, BK7, BK9, but again more than half the price of knife itself, and you lose the other utility that the factory sheath offers.

- OS

It is all of that.

The sheath is nifty for holding the secondary knife and also having room for a survival tin or whatever, but the plastic insert deal sux, since there's no retension and it rattles. Folks generally cut a thin plastic shim and run it down in there to shim knife, or get more serious and get the insert out somehow and heat/form it around knife (though it's not Kydex AFAIK) and stick it back in with glue. There are several custom sheath makers who offer a good snug fit Kydex sheath for the BK2, BK7, BK9, but again more than half the price of knife itself, and you lose the other utility that the factory sheath offers.

- OS

I have some ideas I might try on the sheath before I give up on it and get a replacement. First is to get the plastic out and cut it down about 1" to 1.5". Also like you said try to get it to fit a little more snug, then reinstall. Excess material at the bottom can be folded back under then stitched - basically making a bottom belt loop. We'll see how my idea pans out :dropjaw:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Republican

I have actually met Ethan Becker, he designs and builds great knives. I liked the guy and love his knives. Kind of like you said, they are built like a tank. I feel like they are true combat quality, as many do carry them into combat. The toughnes is great, balance is above average for their heavy construction, visually they are perfect to me (form follows fuction they say).

Ethan Becker lives in Tennessee, so we should all suport him and buy his knives, right? This is TGO guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I own two Beckers: Becker Necker and a BK-10 Desert Tan Crewman. Excellent knives even though both were made by Camillus. The newer Kabars are supposed to be even better.

The only knives better than a Becker are the ESEE knives.