Single stage press reloading time experiment

the 357 Sig is a bottlenck cartridge with a shoulder,,that needs lube,,but it is the same case as the 40 S&W,,you can size the 357 case body with the 40 carbide die with no lube,then when you run it through the 357 Sig die it sizes the neck,

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks very much for the great info, mr.big. Didn't have a clue.

I just noticed that dillon doesn't even sell Square Deal B dies for .357 sig. Had assumed that all the common pistol calibers could be loaded with their smallest progressive press. Had assumed that .357 sig is reasonably common.

Dillon sells a three-die .357 sig set in the "standard die" size that fits their other presses.

Maybe someone here has experience with the XL650 5 station press and could answer.

The de-prime station is obviously special, because there is the drain hole that disposes spent primers.

Then the second priming station is special because it has the primer feed.

But if there is "nothing special" about the other three locations, then perhaps the powder dispenser and expander die would fit in the third station rather than its usual place in the second station?

If that would work then you could have the .40 die and decapper in station 1 and the .357 sig neck die in station 2.

You could call or write dillon. They have great customer service.

I am using 357 Sig brass,,but since it is a bottleneck case the dies are not carbide and the cases have to be lubed to FL size in the 357 Sig die,,just like a rifle round,,but the 40 die is carbide and you can size the 357 Sig brass with the 40 die first with no lube then when you stick the 357 Sig brass that has already been body sized by the 40 FL die it wont stick in the 357 FL die with no lube,,

does that make sense,

this is the only way I can see to load 357 Sig i n a progressive with no lube,,

I got 1,000 pieces of Speer once fired brass off Gunbroker for 40$ shipped,,35 a thousand for primers,,170 a thousand for 124 XTP and 23$ in powder.

268$ a thousand for 124 XTP`s that clock 1395 from 4 inch G32

I loaded these on a single stage press lubed with Hornady one shot and tumbled after sizing,,just to save from running through the 40 size die,,but I did load a few with the 40 die first and no lube and it works on the single stage,,I dont see why it wouldnt on the progressive if it has enough stages..

clear as mud huh,,LOL

the 357 Sig is a bottlenck cartridge with a shoulder,,that needs lube,,but it is the same case as the 40 S&W,,you can size the 357 case body with the 40 carbide die with no lube,then when you run it through the 357 Sig die it sizes the neck,

Or, just hit the 357 Sig cases with One Shot Case Lube. When I load on my Dillon 550 I still hit the cases with a light shot of One Shot, even on carbide dies. It just makes them run smoother. On 223's I give them one shot on the sides, then one shot across the necks, making sure some gets inside the neck. I have no problems sizing them or neck expanding. On my single stage or turret press press for rifle, I use Hornady Unique. Awesome stuff.

it makes me nervous to put a primer in a case with lube on it,,no matter what it says on the can,,

I was always taught never to get any oil or lube anywhere near my primers,,Like the Hank Jr song,,Old Habits are Hard To Break

Guest canebreaker

I bought the Lee 40th ann. kit in '90 for 75 with shipping. Bought the C frame with reloading manual in '91 for 15. I have both setup on small benches that can be rolled to where I want to reload. I'm not much into watching tv, but I can watch something while reloading. I reload 380 auto, 9mm, 38 spl, and 357. I load 1,000 rds of each at a time. Since they fit well in a plastic shoe box with trays. Case lenght is done after the third shooting. I decap and inspect necks while watching castle. size casings and clean primer pockets while watching the hist channel. I'll prime the rds during a nascar race, since there are up to 6 races in a weekends time. Since they all take small primers I may prime all the casings I have to reload. I set the powder measure to the desired load and fill all 1,000 rds at a sitting. Set all bullits in casings in 1 setting. Seat bullits in another sitting.

I'm away from the outdoor range now, so shooting time has dropped a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
I was wondering how long it would take to load 50 rounds of handgun ammo on a single stage press, so I timed myself.

I took a box of 44 mag brass we "unloaded' this afternoon down to the basement. I had to get out and assemble everything as usual. My dies were already adjusted, but my powder measure was not. I sized/deprimed, cleaned primer pockets, belled case mouths, primed, and loaded 50 rounds in 50 minutes. This time also includes several minutes crawling around on the floor looking for a primer I dropped, and weighing each charge; assuring that no charge varied by more than 1/10 a grain. It also includes the time it took to disassemble and put everything up.

My equipment is a Lee Anniversary Kit, with an O ring press, a Lee Perfect Powder Measure, Lee Carbide Dies, a Lee Hand Priming Tool, and a Frankfort Arsenal Digital Scale.

This was an actual time. I did not hurry, nor did I vary from my normal loading routine. If I'd have loaded 50 more rounds, they wouldn't have taken very much longer, as setting everything up takes up a lot of the time.

I hope this helps someone who is trying to decide whether to get a single stage press, or spring for a progressive.

When using a single stage press I use the "double shuffle". Grab a case from your supply between index finger and thumb, then pull sized case from shell holder with middle and index finger, insert case to be sized, drop sized case in clean box at your feet and grab another case while cycling press handle. Also works when using a hand priming tool.

I am using 357 Sig brass,,but since it is a bottleneck case the dies are not carbide...

The Dillon .357 sig dies are carbide but they are a bit pricey... I ran my first batch through a 40 die and then through the .357 sig dies. The second batch I ran through just the .357 sig dies. I didn't observe any difference except less time. So I am going to skip the 40 die from now on.

I've read a lot of conflicting data on how the Lee and Hornady .357 sig dies were configured. There seems to be some debate on where the neck and head space are measured (if I remember that correctly). That and the addition of the Dillon dies being carbide made me go with Dillon dies this one time. I have Hornady or Lee dies on everything else.

Mark