Which handgun do you own that is the worst to detail strip?

mav

I was cleaning my handguns tonight and this morning. I did a detail strip on two of them. One of them was my Ruger Mark III. Taking that gun completely apart and putting it back together will certainly make you appreciate the simplicity of Glocks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Highlander

Worst is Ruger Mk II.

Middle is any Glock.

Best is SIG P220.

Biggest reason the Glocks (which I love by the way) aren't as good for me is personal. I have a fairly seriously damaged left thumb and very little grip strength as a result. I have a hard time pulling down the levers. With a SIG, just lock the slide back, flip the lever, and move the slide off. Nothing easier. The Rugers are so bad I only clean them every ten years or so.

Obviously you guys don't tear apart many revolvers.

My vote is old DA colts or S&W....Charter guns are the worst - I just don't bother with them.

Just talking normal field strip process. The MKIII is the worst. I dare anyone to come up with something worse, regardless of flavor.

- +1 on the Mk III being the worst because you can seize it up if you get your steps out of whack. I de-lawyer-fied mine, though, and now it's a breeze.

- Second worst was my recent Kahr. It was a trick for me to get the marks lined up while trying to force the slide stop out.

- Third are my 1911s, because of the number of steps involved and having to utilize a hammer to punch out the mainspring housing pin...and, on re-assembly, taking care to not put an "idiot scratch" on it.

- Easiest are my Glocks.

Guest jwrebate

It took me a FULL eight hours to completely detail strip, clean, and reassemble my police trade in HK USP I got on Friday, with two of those hours spent trying to reinstall the trigger spring. By far the hardest pistol to detail strip I have ever had.

I was cleaning my handguns tonight and this morning. I did a detail strip on two of them. One of them was my Ruger Mark III. Taking that gun completely apart and putting it back together will certainly make you appreciate the simplicity of Glocks.

CZ-82 .... hands down. (detail that is. Field stripping is very simple.)

As much as I liked my Mark III this is exactly why I sold it, I hate the breakdown procedure it was a pain in the ass to say the least

Guest friesepferd

I don't think I have ever bothered to detail strip any of my pistols.

Hardest to field strip is hard to say. The mark III is strange, but I don't actually find it hard at all. Id almost rather do it than getting my spring back in my 1911 (im a weakling).

Not to mention that the mark III RARELY gets even a field strip from me. Thost guns can go through a LOT before they actually needs to be field stripped at all.

Probably the hardest I ever did was the Mark IIs that we used at the pistol club I used to run. The basic mechanics weren't bad... but those suckers were old and a little beat up and always VERY dirty after being shot so much. they always required a hammer to get them apart and back together, but my newer one isn't like that at all.

Guest friesepferd

and yea. I call a field strip taking off the slide and taking out the barrel / spring (for most semi-s).

I call a detail strip taking most components apart. I've never bothered to do that.

and yea. I call a field strip taking off the slide and taking out the barrel / spring (for most semi-s).

I call a detail strip taking most components apart. I've never bothered to do that.

Yes, that is correct. I was talking about a detail strip on the Mark III. Everything is removed from the gun leaving nothing but an empty frame and about 30 parts on your desk. The first time I did it, it took me about 3 hours to figure out how to put it all back together correctly. It is very easy for me to do it now, but it is still a pain when you compare it to a Glock.

Yeah...I don't think people actually read that we are talking "detail" not "field" strip.

There are many, many guns out there that are simple to field strip, but the detail strip makes a Ruger MKIII look like snapping legos together by comparison. Heck....I can field strip any of the MK guns blindfolded in 30 seconds, but it seemingly takes forever to detail strip a 3rd gen S&W, HK semi auto, or revolver.

Guest The Highlander

I've been shooting, hunting, plinking, and competing with handguns for 40 years now. Never found a need to detail strip one to clean it. My Mk II Target has seen over 100,000 rounds and never been detail stripped. I used to break it down to clean it every ten years, but I've forgotten that the last couple of decades.

Now, I have broken down a few to change springs or something. You guys are wearing them out cleaning them!

Now, I have broken down a few to change springs or something. You guys are wearing them out cleaning them!
Yep...You are right. People who generally break them down every session must really like cleaning. Same goes with a Marlin 60 or a 10/22. If you keep them operating room clean...they look nice, but you are generally wasting your time. Cotton swab the breech face and chamber and that is about all you need to do. I have some that are 55 years old that have been shooting without a hiccup and are tighter than an off the shelf brand new MKIII simply because I don't abuse them by overcleaning.

Matter of fact I'll be willing to bet that most guns are broken cleaning than actually shooting.

Not mine but Can I toss my dad's .22 Ruger in the mix. I hate to call it a Mark I that is like a Vet from WWI, I believe they referred to that war as The Great war.

his .22 Rugar is not marked Mark I, it was before they where called Mark I, II, III. Anyways I understand that is about as bad as it gets to total strip and put back together.